How can we improve Power BI?

Need the ability to stop or pause a data refresh from Power BI online scheduler.

If there are many reports running at the time and one report seems like a resource hog, you would want to pause or stop a refresh so that another report can finish.

360 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shannon Younghans shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Arthur Holtz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a huge time saver for us. We occasionally run into non-fatal errors or slowness with scheduled refreshes. Currently, we have no choice but to wait for the refresh to time out, which takes hours.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use a lot of API queries in my report. Every time I do a little change I need to wait for 5min for queries to load again. I definitely should have the possibility to temporarily disable the refresh. It is sufficient for me that the queries run once, so that I have the base of my report and continue from there. The refresh is only necessary "on demand" and in the final published report.

The inability to prevent the data from refreshing is vital during the development of a report that references a large dataset. Each time a change is made, we get another query and they stack up in suspended status waiting for queries to finish. Please give us the ability to stop or pause the refresh before our DBA goes nuts.

• SG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this feature to be included in PBI services.

• john ridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, it would seem very very useful to have
    - a more general "stop all automatic calculations" option
    - an ad-hoc "compute now" buttom
    to allow a user to enter the DAX for multuiple new computed measures / columns etc.

The user coud then either signal to the system either :
    a) press the "compute now" button
    OR
    b) change the general setting back to "automatically compute"
    etc

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really be a great functionality, because of many reasons. E.g. You can not publish changes to reports when refresh is running in the service, and sometimes the refresh runs with errors due to e.g timeout.
    In these cases a simple pause/stop functionality would save alot of time.

• edh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice just to have a big button to pause all refreshes in a tenant to make server maintenance easier.

• Israel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG, is really needed to refresh previow every single time a small little tweak is done in the model? it would take years to tailor any report.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't upload a report until refresh finishes - wastes my time... Please add this feature.

I need to be able to block refreshing a dataset while allowing others to refresh so that subledger data can tie for month end to the GL.

It would be very useful have this feature, please make this possible. Thanks in advance.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.