How can we improve Power BI?

Add a multiple columns sort featue

If it is possible please provide the multiple columns sort . For example I want to sort the table visualization based on Priority and severity

838 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

98 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ananda Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sorting done in Power Query (sorted by multple columns) is not maintained in the visuals. So the whole point of sorting during the ETL is lost when trying to do the visuals.
        As much as the need for multple column sort in visuals it is equally important to maintain the sorting done during ETL using Power Query.

• Scott L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power BI team - there are several requests for sorting on multiple columns. Can you advise if there is any thought being given to these requests?

The votes are somewhat scattered across multiple ideas, but there is some demand for this feature.

• Pablo Steyerthal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Matrix visual needs ROW and COLUMN SORT by value and mutiple sorting. Not only a multiple sorting for columns

• Pradeep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two and half years and this is ignored? This is a basic feature available in Excel and users coming to power bi are mostly from Excel background.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately need this feature. Boss asks why Excel can but PowerBI cannot.

• iman yu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is essential for us. Our users need to use this feature to identify patterns and outliars

• Craig Plank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like a basic reporting function that is available in many other products. I would consider this core functionality for a dashboard object. The workaround such as adding an additional computed column for sorting is OK but should not be necessary.

• Jerome W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this. I can't believe this hasn't been implemented yet. If at least Power BI was respecting the sorting used in the SQL query... but NO, it just uses its own arbitrary sorting.

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorting is a basic feature that I utilize for reports. I find it hard to believe that Power Bi does not include this feature, while Excel and Access have the capabilities of multiple sorting for different columns. Please add this as an option within the "Sort by Column" feature so that we may sort multiple columns at one time. This is essential in creating reports.

• TickboxPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Embarrassing when client stumbles on this and reconsiders investment, let alone it stops real data analysis. Matrix is too clunky to include multiple sorted columns, Table should be fine and can't see the big deal and enabling multi-column sorting. Fix this asap please, its a commercial project killer.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.