or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Avi G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very helpful. What about dragging?
        For example: Dragging between folders or to a folder that already exists.
        Option to choose between existing folders(combo) instead of writing manually.
        Thanks!

• David Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally! This is a great improvement over not being able to group fields into folders at all. It will make a huge difference to the end user experience.

However, I'd really like to see it go much further - currently there doesn't seem to be the ability to nest folders inside other folders, there's no way to group tables into folders and there's no way to include fields from different tables in the same folder. This kind of functionality has been around for decades on platforms like BO and Cognos. It's still much better than it was though.

• Charaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its not what i expected from this update preview. I want to organize the different tables into folders. Just like in windows explorer.

• Deepak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it possible to make a column/measure appear in multiple folders at once which is possible in SSAS by using a semi-colon delimited list of folder names. This will drastically simplify the end user experience and will also help increasing the user adoption.

• Todd Chittenden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have given us the ability to group our queries into folders. You have given us the ability to group fields within a table into folders. When will we ALSO have the ability to group TABLES into folders? Seems the next logical step.

Not sure where else to put this next comment so it's going in this thread:
        When looking at the list of preview features, each has a "Learn more" link next to it. That's GREAT. But some of them, like the one for "Modelling View" (the feature that introduces Display Folders for Fields under Tables) has a link that points here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/

That is pretty much useless. If you don't have a specific page that talks about that feature in particular, then don't tease us with a link, pretending that you're being helpful. You're not. It's frustrating and misleading.

Regarding the new Modelling experience: it seems to always rearrange my tables on the original Relationships pane. FRUSTRATING. I put tables where I put them for a reason, because their placement on the page in relation to other tables is logical to me, helps me understand the relationships. STOP MOVING MY TABLES. I don't go to your computer and rearrange you file and folder structure, do I?

• Emmet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A very necessary feature when working with big data sets.
        I hate to say it but "T*" has this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is available in almost all other self-serving BI tools and it is a must-have! Please make it happen!

• Toby Fulton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please...!! seems crazy that the Query Editor has Groups in which objects can be organised, but the main Desktop doesn't!

• manoj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this badly. Please provide an update on when Microsoft is planning to start working on this. Simple organizing of fields is pretty basic need. Tool like Power BI should support this.

• John Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to group tables into folders / by type for navigation would make the UI much more user friendly & less intimating.

For example you may have 10 relationship dim tables defining aspects of the risk & 10 others defining aggregated reporting buckets. At present these would appear as a list of 20 separate tables in the UI whereas the ability to put them in 'folders' (like Risk Analysis & Risk Aggregation in this instance) would make a much cleaner UI. Large models with lots of items quickly look clunky.

• Ernest Lei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is it possible to have the SSAS folder feature in powerbi which is good for managing too many measures in the right pane. it is much better to organize them into different folders

Been using the work around of creating a new tables to store measures in for over a year now, still surprised this hasn't been developed yet despite the various posts I have seen and the work already put into developing the selection pane etc?

• Ali Hassn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to organize data into folder and subfolder will make it easier for the business to locate objects

Move up or down the display folders in the Fields list explorer.
        I have created display folders in SSAS Tab but when in the PowerBI Desktop, these display folders appear random in the middle of the list of items for this table: I would like to be able to place the display folder where i want, i.e. at the top or at the bottom of the fields list or wherever I want. Note that I I use Excel to browse the cube I see the Display folder at the end of the item list which is OK.

• Denise Hoban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to group fields together. Not Values in a field and not hierarchical fields, but the fields themselves when they are 'like' objects. For example, I have many yes/no fields that are demographic descriptors (such as socio-economic status). I want to be able to group all of these like fields in a folder together, so I don't have to hunt to find the field in the field list.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a valuable feature when working with SQL-based data sources.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.