How can we improve Power BI?

Matrix Measures or Values on Rows instead of Columns

We need Matrix’s to have the ability to move Measures or Values to rows instead of Columns. This is a definite must have!!! I was in the process of doing a pilot roll out of Power BI to my management team and when this question came up it was a huge miss and got a tremendous amount of groans. This is an everyday view we use and really need this for Power BI to cover the basics. I love the program but we really need this. Please help!

To elaborate, if I have sales, quantity sold, asp (average sales price), COGS, Gross Profit and Margin, There’s no way to look at this month over month when the measures are stuck on the columns. It needs to be able to showcase on rows.

Thanks for your consideration!

2,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike ThibodeauxMike Thibodeaux shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

71 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Morven BallardMorven Ballard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Will,

Do you have an ETA for this please? It really is a huge disadvantage not being able to have values on rows.

Thanks!

• AlistairAlistair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making this change would be an absolutely HUGE change. Gives analysts a way to interrogate data more easily to answer questions.

• AliAli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you have any estimates on when this capability will be available?

• TroyTroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the other comments. We are building profitability reporting by various dimensions and it is a MUST to have these measures in the columns for it to be usable. Thanks for your update and consideration.

• OmarOmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huge miss. We´re building an executive dashboard but we´ll go with Tableau if this is not available by early February.

• Ventsislav VladovVentsislav Vladov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. Is there any due date, so to consider if there is a possibility to positively impact the current implementations?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a way to show the measures on the rows of a table:

You will need these elements:
        1. The original table of your data, let's say [Sales]:

Month | Prd_code | Price | Qty |
        1 Jan | 1 | 1 | 1 |
        2 Jan | 2 | 2 | 3 |
        3 Jan | 3 | 2 | 4 |
        4 Jan | 4 | 1 | 5 |
        5 Feb | 1 | 2 | 5 |
        6 Feb | 2 | 2 | 4 |
        7 Feb | 3 | 1 | 6 |
        8 Mar | 1 | 1 | 4 |
        9 Mar | 2 | 2 | 2 |
        10 Mar | 3 | 3 | 3 |
        11 Mar | 4 | 3 | 4 |

2. Your measures, let´s say:

> AVG_PRICE := AVERAGE(Sales[Price])
        > AVG_QTY := AVERAGE(Sales[Qty])

3. A table with your measures (the names of the measures you want to be on the columns) [measure_names_table]:

Measure name | Position |
        1 avg price | 1 |
        2 avg qty | 2 |

4. A new measure to be the poistion of the "selected measure" and another one to be the "select measure" per se
        (this measure will take the value of the measures you previously created for each row of the visual table)

> SELECTED_MEASURE_POSITION := MAX( measure_names_table[Position] )

> SELECTED_MEASURE := SWITCH (
        [SELECTED_MEASURE_POSITION];
        1; [AVG_PRICE];
        2; [AVG_QTY]
        )

5. Create the visual table and select these for the fields:

> Lines: Measure name
        > Columns: Month
        > Values: SELECTED_MEASURE

This visual should be a table like this:

Measure name | Jan | Feb | Mar |
        avg price | XXX | XXX | XXX |
        avg qty | XXX | XXX | XXX |

This link was very useful to comeup with this solution:
        > http://www.bipatterns.com/dynamic-powerbi-reports-via-dax/#prettyPhoto

Any doubts please post!

• James IrwinJames Irwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HELP - People are still commenting and voting - not being able to Sort Rows by Values is a BIG MISS !!!

• AaronAaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I'm hoping this request is captured in some other "Pivot Table functionality" requests but if not, adding measures to rows is a major request. The lack of functionality is stumbling block and also for getting more people to use Power BI (both consume and author). How often does a conversation go like this? Consumer: "Wow! This is great stuff. It's a bit wide though. Can you put that into the row like my old Excel report?" Me:"Ummm.... well, actually..." So, a big 'yes, please' to this request, Microsoft.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can see in TABLEAU a specific funtionality to transpose rows by columns in a visual table

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.