How can we improve Power BI?

Matrix Measures or Values on Rows instead of Columns

We need Matrix’s to have the ability to move Measures or Values to rows instead of Columns. This is a definite must have!!! I was in the process of doing a pilot roll out of Power BI to my management team and when this question came up it was a huge miss and got a tremendous amount of groans. This is an everyday view we use and really need this for Power BI to cover the basics. I love the program but we really need this. Please help!

To elaborate, if I have sales, quantity sold, asp (average sales price), COGS, Gross Profit and Margin, There’s no way to look at this month over month when the measures are stuck on the columns. It needs to be able to showcase on rows.

Thanks for your consideration!

1,432 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike Thibodeaux shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

127 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Niek Verhoef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great work on the matrix visual Microsoft!
        Could you add the functionality to order the values by column header?

When we select a column header in the table visual it gets ordered based on the values in that specific column, we would like to see that in the matrix visual as well.
        Thanks!
        Keep up the good work!

• John Poston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sawan and Amanda,

Thanks for working on this. I still don't see this feature available after I downloaded the most recent Desktop version, though. Am I missing something?

I'm aware of Matt Allington's post (http://exceleratorbi.com.au/measures-on-rows-here-is-how-i-did-it/) but would prefer a similar functionality to Excel's pivot tables.

If this is do-able now, and I'm just not seeing how to do it, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all your hard work : ) Your team is doing great things.

John

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

See that a new Matrix visual has recently been released with ability to drill down when multiple row or column dimensions are selected in a hierarchy. I have installed this through the Preview Features option. However back Regarding the issue of being able to put calculated measures in rows rather than having to put them in columns as discussed below in the thread. What is the ETA for release of this very necessary enhancement?

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I have just run into this requirement as well for desktop. Please can we have it?!

• Hikmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found this feature only in the GUI as well, sneaky folks at Microsoft PELASE put this in the Desktop client ASAP!

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update Amada - this will be a much anticipated feature !

• Thibaut Quignon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't found the Option "Values - Show on rows On/Off" in the web client for the Matrix, is it still available?

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good shout thank you, I see it under values on the web client but not the desktop client. Please push this out asap would be a massive win for us and at the sounds of it many others.

I found out that this feature is already available in app.powerbi.com: Values - Show on rows On/Off

I hope it will be available in Power BI Desktop soon.

• Reetu D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi, any update on this feature. This is very much required to view some reports.

I would love this feature. Unfortunately i don't see it in the latest release. Am I missing something?

Dear Amanda,
        This feature will be great.
        Is it possible to set the names on a manual order on those Visuals? I'd like to force the order to creat a P&L Statement.
        Maybe you can do It on filter tab allowing the user drag and droping.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.