How can we improve Power BI?

Multiple cross-filter

The new feature "Visual Interactions" is great. However, it would be even greater to be able to do multiple cross-filters in multiple charts to further narrow down the filtering. Today a new click in another chart resets the current cross-filter. When analyzing data this type of functionality would help a lot - currently you need to manually set a filter that corresponds to the cross-filter you just made to further narrow down the analysis.

325 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

fredrik.hedenstrom@acando.comfredrik.hedenstrom@acando.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Luiz FornazzaLuiz Fornazza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ow noo , i spent a lot of hours working in power BI to find out that it doesn't have an essential feature like this one ? I thought P BI was all about selecting filters in graphics ....
        i will not use power bi anymore until this feature comes out.

• DerekDerek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make for a much needed improvement. For now, since charts are a good way of representing data, I have to also make a drop-down textual slicer to filter the results instead of clicking within my chart (e.g.: a pie or donut chart). It should be possible to use a chart as a slicer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual interaction require lots of improvements, it is confusing a lot. The cross filtered graphs should show only relevant data based on the first click. The highlight and dehighlight is not useful when there are many items in X axis / Y axis.

• rhouserhouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to be able to convert Tableau dashboards into Power BI but this feature missing is critical.

• Tormod Aarlott DigreTormod Aarlott Digre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be so cool, but there should be some easy way to see which filters are applied to the visualizations and edit them.

Maybe a filtervisual that lists all filters?

I am really missing this feature. I am endorsing Chris Hutchins comment "Use chart as slicer" would resolve this. Requirement is for the selection in chart A to globally filter the rest of the report, and not be reset to all when a selection in chart B is made."

• Chris HutchinsChris Hutchins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needed. "Use chart as slicer" would resolve this. Requirement is for the selection in chart A to globally filter the rest of the report, and not be reset to all when a selection in chart B is made.

• PhilPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We desperately need the ability to apply concurrent filters from multiple charts. Qlik does this, why can’t Power BI. This topic is also related to global filtering.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are other registered ideas that are almost the same as this one. This uncontrolled idea submitting option is not efficient. I think this is a really important feature but because of the inefficient registration does not get the votes it deserves (now its fragmented).

• jeromejerome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion, it is effectively a mandatory figure to do Data Visualization.

• NoahNoah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand this to be that multiple charts can act as filters within the report/dashboard. This is different than allowing the selection of multiple items within a single chart. I believe this is quite important. For instance, a trended chart + a pie chart for customer groupings can both filter a third object.

Very important asset!! (Like the functionality of Qlik...)
        That would be necessary for serious Analysis of causes. The easiest way to implement this could be, to make it able to define Slicers as "global". They should then appear in every page of the Report and stay connected. So users can set a slicer in one page and have it set in the next page.

Ability to highlight data from more than one visualization instead of just multiple items from on visual.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.