How can we improve Power BI?

Allow mixing direct query and imported tables in a single model

Allow direct query tables and imported tables to coexist in a single model with ability to create relationships between them.

305 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Srinivasan Turuvekere shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tony Lau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolutely must have feature and provide a truly agile and flexibility to the users to work in a mix mode ie. direct query and import data to work with. This is a draw back from my point of view.

• Jayden Sanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important for us at an enterprise level. Our use of PowerBI would increase if we could use direct query and import into a single model.

• Luiza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And I do hope this will include DQ to Azure Analysis Services in PowerBI with the ability to import from other sources and connect to that AAS data model.

• Luiza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a game changer! I do hope you guys are working on this! Very needed in my organization...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a crucial issue that can solve many database level integration workarounds.

• Henri Aalto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is almost funny in how many cases my end users wish to see the finest grain details for a specific customers when they start looking deeper into some phenomenon. Any way I can easily enable them to dig deeper in to the details without exploding the model is welcome. The ability to switch to another page in the report retaining filtering values is great, now to get further the detail-page would need to fetch the most detailed data over a direct query.

• Marek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitelly, something we need. Also, mixing multiple sources in the direct query (for example, 2 different sql servers)

• Stuart Mackereth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 1500 power bi licensed users... it's really a problem explaining that the self service reporting tool doesn't allow mashups of custom data with formal data!

Biggest feature request from our organisation!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.