How can we improve Power BI?

Print option from Power BI Desktop

A print option for Power BI Desktop is required.

This will support design and development efforts by having a hard copy available for use in scenarios where online and real-time are not the best approach or even the most appropriate approach.

3,938 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • tommyc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am happy to hear this print function is going to deliver on this summary, this one small step for Power BI but a great move for us to provide this product to our clients.
        Please let us know when and how to use this function from the coming monthly updates.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just sold a solution to a client using this state of the art tool called Power BI as an alternative to pasting Excel graphs in Word reports. Turns out they can't use cloud and Power BI Desktop doesn't have a print to PDF function. Guess they are going to paste Power BI graphs in Word reports. This is one of the things I didn't bother to check because the mere possibility of not having a print option in a Microsoft product wasn't present in my mind. Add this yesterday. Or maybe 2 years ago.

In response to having a survey to understand the requirement better. The requirement is that you can save a page or multiple pages from a Power BI Report as PDF. That's it. It doesn't need filters, it doesn't need drill downs. Just pictures on a page. Like the export to PowerPoint function in the Service.

I wonder how may screenshots have been taken of PBI desktop files over the past 3 years.

I just don't understand how a company as large as Microsoft, who has a print option from every other desktop application they have ever developed, didn't include this from the get-go and haven't corrected their mistake in 3 years. Every month, I read through dozens of BS updates the developers are adding to the product that 0.005% of their user base will ever use instead of focusing all their effort on a glaring oversight. I have an idea for the "Power BI Desktop March Feature Summary" blog post:

Here’s the complete list of March updates:

Now you can print stuff. The end.

• Amir Netz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Print has risen to the #1 ask from the community and we are taking it as such. We have cleared some significant technical challenges that blocked the implementation and we can now start addressing it.

It is not a simple feature but we are committed to deliver it by summer.

• ben davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to print from the actual report menu or export the contents of the report to a printable PDF would be a game changer for Power BI.

Current option to print current page most often does not page properly, because it is just an image of the current page view. If instead, the option was to print report contents, that would be amazing. Thank you.

• KrisW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to print to paper or SAVE AS PDF is critical in many work environments. Added, the MAPS require access to internet/BING to display. Having access to PDF copy of entire PBIX would be helpful when not possible.

ONLINE, you can save a PBIX 15 pages or less to Power Point or print off a single page (Print to PDF possible). Why aren't these features available in DESKTOP?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to not having a basic feature which demonstrates lack of vision from your product team, your lack of response in almost a year also demonstrates a terrible approach to customer service. For a feature as highly-voted as this one, one would think that there would be monthly (or at least quarterly) updates. One of the reasons that Tableau and other apps are so successful is that they have built a rabidly loyal fan base among their users which includes multiple opportunities (annual conference, multiple regional conferences, monthly local meetups, online community boards, chat rooms, road shows) for users to give their feedback to the product team. If Microsoft can't even reply to a top-voted feature in 10 months, what does that say about their relationship with their user base?

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least an option to export a "nice" version of the current layout should be included. I agree with PDF, but PNG etc. would also work. Getting this from the Web via a "Print Control" would work for us. My managers have always brought paper versions of reports to meetings with them so that they can annotate them.

• Tim Grau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many years will you wait to create the most basic of functions? Just get it done already.

• hadi eissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

one of our clients that we have "SOLD" Power BI to as a dashboard solution does not allow any of the data related to their projects to be published to any external Cloud service. meanwhile, they are testing the use of the on premises solution recently introduced by MS so for now we can only use Power BI desktop. Folks who are using the tool have installed the desktop version on their machines and we use a simple shared drive to share the files being developed but when we need to get the dashboard to the client's execs. then we need to export to PDF or print which is not possible at this point. using screen shot software like snipping tools simply does not work.

• Annie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To those saying we are not selling this product right to our users, we don't need to sell it - Microsoft does, to us. You are lucky if you do not have your users asking for this feature, because a lot of us do constantly. But just because you do not need a feature, doesn't mean that the request for it by others is wrong as you are implying. Once a certain generation retires, we may stop needing this feature. Until then, they are our bosses and end users and we should try to deliver content to them in a way they prefer if possible.

I work in mutliple African countries where internet is either very unreliable or not available. Paper reports are the only way for us.

• Zoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another use case for print function; I have several stakeholders where the internet connection is either very unstable or slow, if they're lucky. Some places simply just don't have an internet connection at all, showing them a piece of papers is the only option. Are we supposed to ignore their needs?

• Drew Sandberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To those who wish to discount the idea of supporting a print function, I offer this use case. I support a farming operation scattered across the several states. During the growing season, the operations team ("farmers, agronomists, and scouts") meet in remote locations to discuss crop conditions and what actions to take. The farm managers and agronomists appreciate the ability to print off charts/data so they can be passed out during those early AM meetings. Using tablet devices in fields is not practical (dust, dirt, damage, loss, hazard as foreign material in crop production) and smartphones, while widely available, typically do not offer large enough "screen real estate" and are troublesome to manage when attempting to filter/expand/change pages. And, sometimes internet availability and cell reception is a real issue.

Bottom line for me is that paper still has utility for many analytics customers. Paper's death has been reported several times but always over exaggerated.

• Daníel Hjörvar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why in the world is this such a popular vote ? The possibilities are endless but you wan't to stick with the past and waste time and paper ? If you need printing on a paper options to do great work, you're doing it wrong. If you claim your customers need printing options to switch/use PBI then you're not selling the product right. I haven't printed a piece of paper for almost 2 years since I started to use PBI. I'm all for designing as well, still don't need the paper option.

Wish I could down vote this "IDEA" ... lol

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.