How can we improve Power BI?

Print option from Power BI Desktop

A print option for Power BI Desktop is required.

This will support design and development efforts by having a hard copy available for use in scenarios where online and real-time are not the best approach or even the most appropriate approach.

3,738 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

105 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Frances WoollardFrances Woollard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is essential. I cannot use the online service due to data restrictions for my client and without the print/export to Word etc options for the desktop version, I am not able to encourage them to use Power BI which is really frustrating as it would save them so much analysis time. Please get this done as soon as poss. Thank you.

• Hadi EissaHadi Eissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kim, can you please provide us with a status on this idea. we need PDF print option from Power BI Desktop. We use Adobe InDesign and Illustrator to combine various reports and our graphic designers require native PDF files. for now, i'm stuck with a lousy tool called Lumira from SAP that provides an export to PDF option.

• JackJack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure it has been mentioned numerous times, but I just want to reiterate that your only existing print function also does not work. The scaling and margins setup just never work the way you expect, and there is clipping occurs frequently with no apparent solution. This is really a critical failure and a show-stopper for many organizations, as others have said.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I print from a dashboard, we don't need and we don't want to have the number of page, the URL and the document name. We loose space and it is really not beautiful.

This is a no brainer. There should be a printing option in any piece of software

• FrankFrank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Printing is a must. Desktop and Service. I had to abandon Power BI because I cannot easily share printed information. This is a major oversight. I had to go back to Tableau despite not wanting to.

Over a year and a half and you still have no implemented the feature.

Not a single update since March where you've asked for people to fill out your survey.

Where is the communication?

• Andrew AihieAndrew Aihie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Understood the strategy for leaving out print/export functionality is to encourage users to paid/subscription cloud version to drive revenue. However a huge opportunity is lost without that feature to compete with the likes of Tableau, Qlik...etc. Suggest including that functionality even if we have to pay for the added feature.

• Nigel GibbonsNigel Gibbons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft you do not have to protract this with a 'survey', spend the time and money getting on with the basics - 'Print to' and Export to 'PDF / Word'.

Power BI Desktop without a 'print to' or 'export to PDF / Word' function is like a car without wheels. Its not going anywhere very fast. I have no clients interested in spending time and effort on what is a nice set of eye candy functionality without a means of consuming this across other more popular mediums ie: digital reports and print.

If you think this approach you are taking is going to encourage licenses, WRONG, you have just lost 2 clients of mine to Sisense and BOARD. What is more if you had got this basic functionality right to start with you now would not have a Partner forced to work with the competition.

• ZoeZoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news? Another comment under review since March, and another feature keeping us in Tableau.

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ofcourse it was left out by design. The need to be able to print out reports or, even more important, send out reports via email as a PDF is absolutely critical.

The mistake MS made is not forgetting to put the print option in there. The real mistake is missing the fact that 90% of the people that consume these reports, will want it on set times via email in a format they can actually read.

We are already evaluating some competitors, it'll cost a whole lot more, but at least you can make something that is actually used.

This is not new, they know about this for a long time. The way i see it is: if they havn't built it by now, they won't build it ever.

I can tell this option was left out by design as Microsoft want to promote the use of Power BI Online, however now you really risk people criticizing the developers for missing an obvious oversight.

Honestly though, how could you not include a 'print' option in the desktop tool.

This is a huge face palm.

• David LDavid L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you do this its absolutely essential that for tabular/matrix visuals that the printing displays those values over multiple pages if need (the current print via web cuts off the tables even if there are more values).

• DiscusDiscus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Tableau can do it, you can do it. C'mon Microsoft. Blow them out of the water.

• AnneAnne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Printing option missing that's strange in Microsoft product. Must have feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.