Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Copy/Paste from Power BI Desktop

Please allow Copy/Paste functionality from Power BI Desktop. We often need to recreate PBI reports in Excel just so we can Copy tables or charts and paste into PowerPoint or simply email it. Need stronger integration with other Office products. Copy/paste seems so basic.

Note: Our company uses PBI Desktop and PBI Report Server (on SQL server) - cloud services are not an option because of Protected Health Information.

1,789 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

91 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We shipped copy and pasting visuals between .pbix files in November. You can learn more about this feature here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2018-feature-summary/#copyPaste This is in addition to the copy data features we added in September: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-september-2018-feature-summary/#copy

Note that you can get reports into PowerPoint using the export to PowerPoint feature, and if you want specific improvements make sure to vote on those ideas.

If you want to copy an image to your clipboard instead of the actual visual so you can reuse it anywhere, make sure to vote on this idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11698812-copy-screenshot-of-visual-to-clipboard And you can vote on this idea for more copy data scenarios (such as whole table of data to clipboard) https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6696392

2. Tool Tips for Buttons

There is currently no tool tip for a button. Now that buttons can perform actions, it would be very useful to have the option to add a tool tip (or hover event message) rather than the default "click to follow link".

300 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Toggle for single-click interaction in Mobile view

Currently on Mobile, a visual must be selected, then another tap will interact with that visual. For many visuals, this is not intuitive and is a poor user experience.

In mobile view, we are creating mobile-friendly views of these visuals, and the extra taps to prevent mis-clicks are not always necessary.

Would love to have a toggle switch to enable single-click interaction over the entire tab or report in mobile view.

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. New functionality "Sync Slicers" in Custom Visual visualizations.

I tested the "Sync Slicers" new functionality and it's a very good option but it doesn't work with a Custom Visual, for example, Chiclet Slicer. Chiclet Slicer is a Custom Visual visualizations widely used and it will be very important that this new functionality work in it well.

1,144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

124 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow non-admins to see enterprise gateways in dataflow creation

According to my experience and the documentation, only admins of enterprise gateways can see gateways during the dataflow creation process. Can this not be opened up to report authors as well? Our enterprise gateway is controlled by IT and has one or two administrators. "Self-service ETL" won't be realized unless report authors can create dataflows using the enterprise gateway.

126 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Send refresh failure notification email to me for a failed dataflow scheduled refresh

Currently there is no notification option for failed dataflows when they are scheduled to be refreshed.

If it would be possible to have the same email notification that is currently available for dataset refreshes?

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SAP HANA 2.0: Display Calculation Views in HDI-Containers

In SAP HANA 2.0, Database Views reside in so-called HDI-Containers. Power BI Desktop (PBIRS) shows empty Containers (database schemes) but not the Calculation VIews inside.
    The old Calculation VIews from HANA 1.0 are visible.

So please extend the connector for SAP HANA (relational mode) to select the new Calculation Views from the HANA data dictionary as well as the old ones.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Drill through to another report refresh with Live connection

Currently the drill through functionality to another report doesn´t seem to work correctly for Live connections. The first time works, but when going back and changing the drill through, the target report doesn´t refresh automatically. This is confusing for end users, because you don´t always realize that the data have not been refreshed. The Power BI support team acknowledged this problem and proposed I create a ticket in the "Idea" category. It seems more like a bug to me then anything else, but hereby the idea to make the drill through to another report functionality always refresh the target report…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Python on Scheduled Refresh

On PowerBi Desktop we can get data using Python Scripts, but after published we can't schedule a refresh data for this connection. The PowerBI returns:
    "Query contains unknown funtion name: Python.Execute."
    It would be better if all features on desktop would work on web too.

144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow visual header control per visual

The March 2018 update introduced visual header control at the report level.

Since this is currently an 'all-or-nothing' feature, please evolve this so we can control visual headers on a per visual basis.

556 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Take or Transfer Ownership of a Dataflow

Add the ability to take or transfer ownership of a dataflow to another user. Currently all I see is a message indicating only the owner can edit the dataflow. This is needed to enhance maintainability and enable enterprise level support of a dataflow if the owner is out of office or leaves the company. At least the same take ownership option that is already available with datasets.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Rename Totals

Please allow users to rename totals in the Table and Matrix visual. This is a very important feature to be able to label what the total means for a specific report (e.g. Month Actual adding up to YTD Actual) rather than simply "total". For the time being the only solution is to put a text box over to which goes away in focus mode, etc. Thank you!

200 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Report Tooltips for mobile devices

Report Tooltips are awesome! It would be great if they were also available on mobile devices

120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  13 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Python Script in Power BI

It's great that Power BI already has the capability to run R scripts for data transformation. It would be even better if we could run Python script.

2,247 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

171 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Personalized Bookmarks

The current bookmarking feature requires report creators to define bookmarks. Ideally, users would be able to save personalized bookmarks (similar to web browser) in addition to the author's pre-defined bookmarks.

For example, I might have a project management report or sales by stores. Each user of the report may have their own set of projects or stores that they want to quickly navigate between. These are relevant to the current users and not other users of the reports.

1,154 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Dataflows PDF Connector

Enable the PDF Connector - it went GA in Power BI Desktop and Web Service in April 2019, so it should also be in Dataflows.

It is always frustrating to consider moving a set of Queries to Dataflows, only to realize that the functionality is so limited.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Dataflows from Custom SQL Query

I would like to be able to create an entity based off of a custom SQL Query instead of having to use the Power Query tools. The problem I am having is that one of the tables I am working with is too large and results in a timeout when Dataflows tries to bring it in. I think that a custom SQL Query will alleviate this issue by allowing me to prefilter my data before it comes into Dataflows.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Drill through that considers slicer/filter context of a parent visual

The current drill through capability does not appear to consider an active filter/slicer value for a visual unless the dimension being filtered is included in the parent visual. I think it would be helpful if it did.

For example; a table of customers subject to a slicer for specific stores should pass on both the customer and store values if these dimensions are both listed as drill through filters.

869 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Dynamic row-level security for Power BI Report Server

Power BI Desktop (optimized for Report Server) allows you to define roles with DAX filters. However, when reports are published to the Report Server, there is no way to assign these roles to specific users/groups, so we can't yet implement row-level security on the Report Server. It would be great it Report Server was able to support dynamic row-level security similar to the Power BI Service.

976 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Filters functionality in landscape mode for Mobile Power BI

Right now, by design, we cannot use the filter functionality when we are in landscape mode in the mobile app, in order we can use the report/page filters

Please add this functionality in a way we can use it as in vertical (portrait) mode

Thanks

I tested for iOS or Android and it doesn't work in both... this is by design? Or maybe I'm doing a wrong configuration of the PBIX file?

Thanks for your comments,

Mauro

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 36 37
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.