Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Matrix Measures or Values on Rows instead of Columns

We need Matrix’s to have the ability to move Measures or Values to rows instead of Columns. This is a definite must have!!! I was in the process of doing a pilot roll out of Power BI to my management team and when this question came up it was a huge miss and got a tremendous amount of groans. This is an everyday view we use and really need this for Power BI to cover the basics. I love the program but we really need this. Please help!

To elaborate, if I have sales, quantity sold, asp (average sales price),…

1,371 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

113 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Drill to a report page

Ability to select/click a row on the table or chart and be able to contextually go to another report , with appropriate filters. This is only useful when we are able to hide the pages in the report and they appear only when something is(row or cell) selected on a table or similar chart.

1,402 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

72 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You may have seen from the Data Insights Summit, we’re actively working on this feature. You’ll be able to configure a page to work as a drillthrough target for one or more fields (e.g. actor, movie, customer, product, location etc.). Then, any visual that uses that field will give you an option that navigates to the target page with the context/filters already applied.

Stay tuned for updates!

Thanks!

• Dynamic Parameters for What if analysis

[Will Thompson] I've just merged a couple of very close scenarios, which all have similar great ideas! Something we're considering for the future, so I'm keen to hear your feedback on this. I like this core scenario of a numeric value that is bound to a slider control, and can then be used as part of some expression.

- In a sales report, I can adjust a '% increase' slider to see what impact a small change in revenue might have had on my sales.
        - In a mortgage calculator, I can change the % rate, borrowed amount and term to see projected…

1,239 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Share Reports in Power BI

I see that I can share dashboards in the Power BI -- but can I not share reports? The dashboard would be fine, but slicers can't be pinned yet.

780 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

101 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have started work on building this feature so you can share reports with others, much the same way as you can share dashboards today. Thank you to everyone who voted for and commented on this idea. Over the coming months as we design and develop the feature we will use your feedback to shape what we build.

• Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources

At this time, a gateway will not function properly if you are using data sources and one is online and one is on-prem. As soon as the online data source is added, the gateway is designed to gray out because Power BI interprets that it is no longer needed. I would like to be able to combine data sources from both on-prem and online sources together with the use of gateways.

660 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

83 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone,

We’ve started working on supporting oAuth based connections to go thru the gateways in Power BI which is the main blocker to why you can’t combine today. We’re starting with personal gateway, then will support the enterprise gateway (on-premsies data gateway) shortly after. Thank you for your continuous feedback and passion for this area. Stay tuned, we’re getting close!

Thanks!
              Dimah
              The gateways team

• Improve the Advanced Query Editor

Add better static analysis, IntelliSense, and general formatting abilities (like allowing tabs) in the "Advanced" editor

462 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re actively working on adding IntelliSense support for M authoring in the Advanced Query Editor, Formula Bar and Custom Column dialog. Expect to see these capabilities in one of our next few monthly updates, hopefully before the end of 2016. : )

• Slider / Slicer for Values

We now have a great Slicer for dates, which is presented as a Slider, but it would be great to have a similar Slider Slicer for values too.

eg, If I have a field called 'Customer Balance' and want to give the end user the ability to filter down between two values (Customer Balances between 1000 & 10000), then a standard Slicer is not suitable as it just lists the balances. A Slider based Slicer will fill this role.

154 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Need a way to test a dashboard before releasing to production.

Need a way to test a dashboard (some sort of a dev environment) before releasing (to production environment). This is especially critical in enterprise settings, where any change to the dashboard will likely have large business impact affecing a large number of people.

223 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    started  ·  Nick CaldwellNick Caldwell responded

We’re doing several improvements to the overall manageability, collaborative authoring, and organization of dashboards/reports. Having a pre-release test environment is a key component of the forward roadmap.

• Custom branding/colour scheme of dashboard (custom css?)

How sexy the data looks is sometimes more important than how accurate it is!

I love a light grey/dark grey colour scheme as much as the next person, but it be great to be able to brand the dashboard with the organisation colours/background watermark/logos etc. Maybe offer an option to modify the default CSS used - similar to how blogging sites like blogger allow you to change your page layouts/colours with a simple admin gui or completely change it by rewriting the CSS

1,713 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

83 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons

Please add Collapse/Expand buttons in the Matrix Visualizations. Otherwise when all fields are expanded by default the user would have to scroll a lot to find what they are looking for. I could add a slicer to take user to the data they are looking for but then the rest of the data in the matrix disappears and more specifically the overall totals change!Expand/Collapse buttons would keep the overall totals as intended and totals for other fields while allowing the user to only expand the field they are interested in. Also ability to do conditional formatting for a specific field…

2,300 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

159 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Looks like Amanda’s link didn’t work so I wanted to update again. Here’s our documentation on the new preview:
                        https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-matrix-visual/

There are a few highly requested features that we know are missing (resizing columns, sorting etc.) and they’re outlined at the bottom of that document .They’ll come in future releases!

You’ll also see a link right at the bottom of that page to a survey where you can gives us your feedback on what we should prioritize on top of this preview.

and please do keep commenting here – we read everything even if we can’t reply to them.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Filter bookmarks

To have some kind of filter bookmarks so to "save" recurring searches or slicers slections (and avoiding repeating over and over select/unselect to surf in the data).

115 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Heat maps in Power View

It'd be REALLY nice to have heat maps capabilities in the map visualization of Power View, like those in Power Maps.

This is an OFTEN requested feature from our large enterprise customers

1,134 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone. We announced a partnership with ESRI to bring their mapping capabilities into Power BI. Their maps include the ability to build heatmaps! The feature’s in Preview at the moment, I’m leaving this marked as ‘Started’ for now and we’d appreciate your feedback. Try it out and let us know how you find it. We’ll update it to ‘Completed’ when we take the Preview label off the feature.

More details on the blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-arcgis-maps-for-power-bi-by-esri-preview/

Thanks!

• Line chart formatting options

I found a few similar topics about line formatting and my idea is to combine all ideas and votes into one.

Formatting options for line chart types:

- Edit the line width (thickness), Dash type (solid, dashed, dotted) and transparency.
                            - Add markers (data points) and edit their size, color, shape (dots, squares, diamonds, etc).

Thanks in advance!

68 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Improve customs visuals quality

On the one hand, custom visuals are great. Thanks to the engaged community we have new visualizations.

On the other hand, those visuals are buggy, unoptimized, not fully integrated, lacking functionality and sometimes of poor visual quality.

Hope the PowerBI team picks up on the shortcomings and improves them or release their own official versions.

Please vote ;)

132 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are investing to constantly improve the custom visuals and the platform. performance, reliability, feature-set, etc.
                                Most visuals are maintained by the community, and we encourage them to improve. recently the custom visuals gallery was migrated to the Office store, where reviews and ratings are available, so I encourage you to go and review visuals and ask for features directly from the developers.
                                You can also use the dedicated community site to suggest ideas: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Ideas/idb-p/CustomVisualsIdeas

• Enable specific security groups setting for 'Publish to web'

The "Publish to web" setting for portal administrators currently has the options of 'Enabled' or 'Disabled'. It would be beneficial to have this manageable in the same way as content packs so certain security (AAD) groups could be set as publishers.

88 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Better Auditing of User Activity (Datasets, Reports, Dashboards, Exports)

ALL user activities in Power BI should be logged for auditing purposes, including datasets accessed, reports/dashboards accessed, and especially data exports performed. The audit data should be accessible as a dataset to build reports against as well as easily exportable / downloadable.

1,029 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Improve dashboard/report usage metrics report performance

The dashboard/report usage metrics can take >10s to load in certain cases. Please improve the performance of the report.

FYI: the documentation for the current feature can be found here:
                                    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-usage-metrics/

13 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Failed auto-refresh should not cancel the refresh schedule

Currently if auto-refresh fails, the refresh schedule is disabled meaning IT has to go in and re-enable the schedule for each data connection after any ill-timed service outage. Sadly, the schedule is also disabled silently so unless IT checks in on the dashboard they have no way of knowing refresh is turned off.

37 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        started  ·  Mini NairMini Nair responded

As mentioned before, we’ll still disable refresh if we notice that refresh fails consistently, but this time we’ll send you an email to inform you why we turned off refresh.

• Pivot tables and breakdown trees

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees. Make this possible and I would gladly submit a stable version of my Breakdown Trees :).

2,963 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

111 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We released a preview of a new matrix visual with today Power BI Desktop release. This new matrix can be used as a source of cross-highlighting, has a stepped layout, can be drilled in to /out of hierarchies, and has performance updates.

You can read all about it in our blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-march-feature-summary/#matrix

During the preview we will be adding even more new features, so keep watch each month for more improvements and let us know in comments what else you’d like to see.

• Tell me what I can ask

When I connect to a new data source and don't really know the structure of the data, I have no idea what questions I can ask. I should get some suggestions or a list of what fields are in the data, etc.

58 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  3 comments  ·  Q&A  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.