Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bookmark "Toggle" - Retain Slicer Selection

If you have 2 visualizations that you are toggling through a Bookmark image, and have slicers on your page, if you change a slicer value and click on the image to toggle to a different viz, the slicers value will not be retained. For instance, if I select Canada in a slicer, click on the toggle, the slicer will change back to whatever was saved in the bookmark. It would be nice to have an option to "retain" the current selections. This would allow a user to make different selections in the slicer, and then when the click on the…

191 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

25 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are now working on a way to control for a bookmark if it just applies the visual properties (like hiding/showing visuals), just the filter properties (like slicer states), or both (the default & what it does now). This will allow you to set up toggles that just switch out the visuals, while not changing the slicers.

Keep voting on the idea if you want an update when it goes out!

• Enable specific security groups setting for 'Publish to web'

The "Publish to web" setting for portal administrators currently has the options of 'Enabled' or 'Disabled'. It would be beneficial to have this manageable in the same way as content packs so certain security (AAD) groups could be set as publishers.

128 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Printing custom visualizations

It would be helpful to be able to print custom visualizations to PowerPoint. Currently there is just a message saying that the visualizations are not currently supported. Even allowing the visuals to be frozen in a picture format would be acceptable. Thanks.

408 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow admins to control which users' identities are exposed in per-user usage metrics

Usage metrics now expose per-user information - i.e. the names of the users that are accessing dashboards and reports.

Allow admins control which users' names and info are picked up by the feature. In other words, admins can choose to "anonymize" certain sets of users so that their names do not appear in usage metrics.

8 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Slider / Slicer for Values

We now have a great Slicer for dates, which is presented as a Slider, but it would be great to have a similar Slider Slicer for values too.

eg, If I have a field called 'Customer Balance' and want to give the end user the ability to filter down between two values (Customer Balances between 1000 & 10000), then a standard Slicer is not suitable as it just lists the balances. A Slider based Slicer will fill this role.

183 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Filter bookmarks

To have some kind of filter bookmarks so to "save" recurring searches or slicers slections (and avoiding repeating over and over select/unselect to surf in the data).

154 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As many of you likely know, we shipped a preview of the bookmarking feature earlier this month. You can read the blog announcement here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/blog/power-bi-desktop-october-2017-feature-summary/#bookmarking

For those who are looking for bookmarks that only bookmark filter/slicer selection you can also vote on this idea to track progress: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/31788382-bookmark-toggle-retain-slicer-selection While the idea suggests bookmarking just visual properties and not filter/slicer selection, the solution we are working on while let you do either.

• Connection to Common Data Service (CDS)

Please create a data connection to CDS as a data source. This is the database model behind PowerApps

43 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your interest in this connector! With this update of the Power BI Desktop, there is now a preview of the PowerApps Common Data Service connector. You can read more about the preview here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-feature-summary/#cds

Once the Common Data Service team expands the number of people with access to the connector to everyone, we will remove the “beta” tag and close the suggestion as completed.

• Export to Power Point

Export / Print Reports from web to Power Point

110 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Persisting default selections for different users

We need the ability to persist at dashboard-level different selections for different users so that when these users refresh, they do not have to reselect all the filters for the displayed charts.

Scenario: After sharing the dashboard with multiple people, each person will want to monitor the dashboard using their own values for some of the dashboard filters (for example, for pinned live pages, there may be multiple filters/slicers for each page). Currently, a user needs to reselect those filters each time after refresh (if he wants to choose something different than the default dashboard configuration), which is very inconvenient,…

42 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback! We are now working on a way to persist your last state on report pages. This will essentially remember all your filter and slicer states, so you don’t have to re-select everything once you navigate away or refresh the page. For our first rev of this feature (targeted release Q4 CY 2017), it will only be available on report pages. We will plan on support live tiles in the future.

• Improve customs visuals quality

On the one hand, custom visuals are great. Thanks to the engaged community we have new visualizations.

On the other hand, those visuals are buggy, unoptimized, not fully integrated, lacking functionality and sometimes of poor visual quality.

Hope the PowerBI team picks up on the shortcomings and improves them or release their own official versions.

Please vote ;)

144 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are investing to constantly improve the custom visuals and the platform. performance, reliability, feature-set, etc.
                        Most visuals are maintained by the community, and we encourage them to improve. recently the custom visuals gallery was migrated to the Office store, where reviews and ratings are available, so I encourage you to go and review visuals and ask for features directly from the developers.
                        You can also use the dedicated community site to suggest ideas: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Ideas/idb-p/CustomVisualsIdeas

• Ability to align the column content

Add the ability to align the column content in tables, e.g. left- and right-aligned, centred, etc. in Power BI Desktop.

640 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

110 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Create new dataset from R by doing calculations on data loaded in PowerBI already

The current R data connector forces you to pull data into R directly from the source (CSV, etc.) in order to run calculations and have the results show up as a PowerBI dataset. It would be very useful to be able to do R calculations from data sources already pulled into PowerBI instead, and then create a new data source from those.

28 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  2 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allows Slicers to apply to all Pages of a Report

As has been partly implemented with Filters, it would be very useful to have slicers that could apply to all pages of a report. This would allow users to interact more easily.

4,262 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

398 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone. I’m really excited to say we’ve started work on this, we’re planning to address two common use cases for this. First, having slicers that appear on every page so you can see them as a restatement, but keeping the selected value in sync across all those pages. That way you select once and see all the slicers updated. Secondly, you asked to have the first page in a report contain all the slicers – if that’s what you’re looking for you can set up the same synchronized slicers but hide them where you don’t want them visible (see the new Selection pane launched in October!)

Thanks for your continued support of the suggestion – we’ll keep you updated when we ship the feature.

• Allow R functions to transform data before graphing.

Let custom R script modify current tables, and let the result set be returned back into PowerBI's charting capabilities. This is similar to the idea of having custom SQL statements as filters for your data source. Having R functions modifying your data before graphing is even more powerful.

23 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow the creation of a Theme Pack

Allow for the creation of a corporate color theme pack. Same principle of styles in Excel: I define a set of styles (colors, fonts, background, format,...) and apply to my report items. For example, let me set the default slicer background color to a suitable shade so that all slicer created start with my default color settings. I would also like to be able to save me color scheme separately so that i can share it with colleagues to create a consistent feel.

972 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Pass data from another source as input to the R.Execute() function

The R.Execute() Power Query function only allows you to use R for ingesting data. Ideally, make R.Execute() more powerful by making it a data transformation function as well as data source. Let data be loaded from other sources, and then R.Execute() could be called in a subsequent step in the Power Query query.

let
                                  Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\[...].xlsx"), null, true),
                                  Custom1 = R.Execute("df<-data.frame(Source) [...]")
                                  in
                                  Custom1

Transformations could all be done in R first, but it's slower in general, and you lose the convenience of blending data in Power BI itself.

16 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  6 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Refresh dashboards tiles when i change a report

It very annoying having to re-draw every dashboard that uses a specific report. It would be nice having automatic refresh of the dashboard tile when I change a report involved.

283 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      started  ·  lorey responded

We’re working on a solution that we believe will solve this problem. Stay tuned.

• ArcGIS geodatabases

Be able to connect to an ESRI ArcGIS geodatabase to view and query on feature classes.

293 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • 340 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Report Filter Doesn't Save

I am not sure if this is known or not but with the recent report filter coming in, it doesn't save the filter when you exit out of the report unlike the page filters which save.

If this is intentional would it be possible to have the option to save this filter.

31 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.