Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dynamic Date Slicer (improve relative date slicer)

This is a repost of my idea that was closed as completed, but the 'relative date slicer doesn't allow any of the described request hence my idea is not implemented....

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
    YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

471 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

28 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The relative date slicer (a Preview feature as of June ‘17) gets us close to this with the ’This Month’ or ‘This Year’ settings. That is a dynamic date selection that updates based on the current system date. We plan to add a ‘YTD’/‘MTD’ option to specifically select a range from the start of the month/year up to today, hopefully that’ll address the remaining requirements!

• Pass filter in URL (Power BI Report Server)

It would be great if it would be possible to pass filters in the URL of the report on the report server (as it is already possible in Power BI online)

222 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Embed Power BI Report Server reports into extranet apps

Allow Embedding of Power BI Report Server Reports for Extranet Apps. Because of our clients needs data cannot leave our servers and be put on the cloud. Our existing SSRS reports are displayed using a report viewer object, however this will not work for PBIX. We need to ability to embed PBIX and display it externally. Is this going to be possible with Power BI report Server?

46 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this idea!

You can embed a Power BI report stored in Power BI Report Server into another app using an iframe and the rs:Embed=true URL parameter (Kasper de Jonge has a good blog post on the topic: https://www.kasperonbi.com/embedding-power-bi-reports-with-power-bi-report-server/). This support is limited so far; for instance,
          - There are no URL parameters for filtering. We plan to add this feature. (Vote and comment: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/19727650-pass-filter-in-url-powerbi-reportserver)
          - There’s no JavaScript API for richer programmability. (Wouldn’t it be nice if the Power BI JavaScript API supported Power BI Report Server? Submit an idea!)
          - The report server will try to authenticate your end user — by default, using Integrated Windows Authentication. For intranet apps whose users are within your organization and your Active Directory forest/domain, that might work fine, but for extranet apps, as you noted, that doesn’t work.

We plan to address this last issue by enabling…

• SAP BW display Key and Text

It seems as if only Text is available to select.
          We require the Key to be available to build relationships and to view data

159 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Disable Export data function in Power BI Embeded

Currently Export data can be disabled from the service but not from Power BI Embeded. We want to keep our data from being able to exported by others and see Power BI Embeded as our prefered roll out solution but the lack of ability to turn off the export feature means that we are not currently able to use Embeded for this purpose. Ideally we need a way to control export data at a visual level but at minimum control at a dashboard / report level. This is a high priority feature for us to be able to complet our…

116 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback.
              We are planning to add this capability as part of other Admin controls changes through API.
              For the first phase, we will support the control in the embedded object level (i.e. report/ Dashboard/ Tile)

• Single-sign-on for connection to SAP BW

Connector to SAP BW has enabled the easy access to data in SAP BW. However, scheduling the data refresh from SAP BW is not possible since the SSO feature is not available. This would be a good step to create dashboards using Power BI consuming SAP BW data.

45 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Failover is not available with the current Enterprise Gateway, this make it challenging when we want to use EntGW in scale. High Availabili

Failover is not available with the current Enterprise Gateway, this make it challenging when we want to use EntGW in scale. High Availability critical aspect for company whom want to adopt PBI as enterprise solution. Please consider.

28 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Gateway Update Notification and Auto update for Enterprise Gateway

We should be notified when there is a new version of both gateways. In addition, the Enterprise gateway should be updated automatically (admins should be able to turn this on/off).

109 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Enterprise Gateway automatic failover

I have Enterprise Gateway installed to one of my server and works fine, once our server went down due to h/w issue and we had issues with data refresh, is it possible to install and configure Enterprise Gateway on multiple servers so that in case of such events one of the server is reachable?

44 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow programmatically embedding visuals from R and Python

R and python have a rich set of visuals. I would like the ability to programmatically embed them into Power BI.

32 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support for SAP HANA Hierarchies

Support to bring in SAP HANA hierarchies in by default similar to our SSAS hierarchy support.

17 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Pivottables via Analyze in Excel

Now that the "analyze in excel" has been released it would be nice if Excel Online recognized Power BI an internal data source.

This would allow users to make Pivot tables in excel (connected to a data model) and upload them as "First Class Citizen" excel files with full functionality.

Don't know if you can make excel pivottables into a custom visual?

Or just an excel custom visual - this would really help out on your tables, which (design wise) are not your proudest moment ;o)

Thanks for a fantastic product!

89 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Slideshow in Full Screen/TV mode

The ‘Full Screen mode’ could become more useful for presenting reports on dedicated large screens if it became just a bit more dynamic. Whilst it is currently possible to scroll through report sheets by clicking the arrows in the bottom right corner, it would be most valuable to be able to automate such browsing. A solution could be to introduce a “Play” button that starts a slideshow scrolling through the available report sheets according to a customizable time interval.

1,410 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

80 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • To have an "UPDATE NOW" in the App

It would be really great if in the APP you have an option to "Update now" as you have in the website. Very often I would like to have the latest data, and the only option that I have now it is to go to the website and to do it there, and then check in the App.

11 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Analyze in Excel Standard Pivot Table Aggregations

The Analyze in Excel feature is an excellent addition to Power BI. For an enhancement, I recommend adding the ability to utilize Excel's standard pivot table functionality of adding implicit measures for numeric fields from source data. This functionality would be similar to the process for creating pivot tables with Power Pivot where custom measures can be used with standard Excel measures in the same pivot table.

The requirement to create custom measures for simple aggregations (i.e. sum of xx numeric field) removes one of the largest advantages of creating summarizations in Excel. It is also difficult for report developers…

15 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Power BI Desktop Auto Update

I'm shocked that I'm required to download a new version of Power BI every time you roll out updates. It's 2015, push those updates via the web to my desktop app, how hard can that be?

2,051 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As you may have heard from the Data Insights Summit, we are planning to improve this experience. We’ll start by making Power BI Desktop available through the Windows Store, which will give auto-update and remove the admin requirements. Longer term we want to enroll in Microsoft Update, but there’s more work to do there so it’ll take some time.

Thanks for supporting this idea!
                                    Will

• Allow Excel Online to connect to a Power BI data source via 'Analyse In Excel'

Now that Power BI has the Analyse in Excel function, can you please make Excel Online (Excel in a browser) connect to the Power BI data source so slicers and timelines function and the workbook can refresh from the Power BI data source?

27 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Allows Slicers to apply to all Pages of a Report

As has been partly implemented with Filters, it would be very useful to have slicers that could apply to all pages of a report. This would allow users to interact more easily.

4,645 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

359 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Print and Export Embedded Reports through REST APIs

Now that we have a great embed report/tile feature that can be used to embed reports/tiles in custom apps, it would be great to have some REST APIs that can facilitate printing and download of the reports into either PDF/Excel etc.

111 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  9 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • add deployment parameters for organizational content packs

currently it is not possible to create an org content pack once and deploy it on multiple datasources (e.g. dev, test and production)
                                          it would be great to see the same parameters as in the public packs

73 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.