Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When will the KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be available on PowerBI Desktop?

KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators were available in Power Pivot. With the new Power BI Desktop this feature is not available anymore. If you import from PP to the Desktop it converts the RYG Indicator Dots to a number. Will the Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be added back to PowerBI Desktop? If so When?

5,124 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

235 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It’s very exciting to be able to close this idea! With the July 2019 release of Power BI Desktop you can now create icon sets that show status indicators, in fact a whole range of icons, in your table and matrix visuals.

You can read more in Amanda’s blog post here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-2019-feature-summary/#iconSets

For those of you who want to have the KPI definition stored in the model itself, please vote on this idea for us to track interest there: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200/suggestions/38181139

Thanks for engaging with the ideas forum and helping us build the product you need!

2. Allows Slicers to apply to all Pages of a Report

As has been partly implemented with Filters, it would be very useful to have slicers that could apply to all pages of a report. This would allow users to interact more easily.

4,695 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

512 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The most exciting news so far this year! In the February release of Power BI Desktop we’ve shipped the ability to synchronize slicers on different pages in your report! You can read more about how the feature works here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-2018-feature-summary/#syncSlicers

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback and votes on this feature. We do listen to you so keep voting and let us know what other things you need us to prioritize.

3. Print option from Power BI Desktop

A print option for Power BI Desktop is required.

This will support design and development efforts by having a hard copy available for use in scenarios where online and real-time are not the best approach or even the most appropriate approach.

4,322 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

192 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons

Please add Collapse/Expand buttons in the Matrix Visualizations. Otherwise when all fields are expanded by default the user would have to scroll a lot to find what they are looking for. I could add a slicer to take user to the data they are looking for but then the rest of the data in the matrix disappears and more specifically the overall totals change!Expand/Collapse buttons would keep the overall totals as intended and totals for other fields while allowing the user to only expand the field they are interested in. Also ability to do conditional formatting for a specific field…

3,782 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With our November update of Power BI Desktop, you can now expand/collapse matrix row headers. You can read more on our blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2018-feature-summary/#expandCollapse

A few people were asking about column headers. As some of the work involved for column headers is different than row headers, we want to understand how many users specifically need/want column header support as well. If you need column header support, please vote on this idea that I added to UserVoice: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200/suggestions/36038050

5. Allow copy and paste between different PBIX's

Often we need to expand on an idea from one report further and copy and paste visuals/pages from one PBIX to another. This would be a huge productivity and quality benefit.

3,675 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

293 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Tables in PDF files

I have come across so many public data repositories that hold data in PDF format. Other websites have tables within documents such as annual reports etc., also in PDF format. A data source for PDFs or tables from PDFs would be awesome!

3,066 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

283 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Custom Viz access to the previous levels in a drill-down

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees.

This would let custom viz developers add thing like pivot tables and Breakdown Trees :)

[This idea was created as an offshoot of https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15844186-pivot-tables-and-breakdown-trees. Fredrik had initially asked for updates to the Custom Viz API, but many votes and comments were cast assuming the idea was just asking for the Power BI team to…

2,940 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Pivot tables and breakdown trees

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees. Make this possible and I would gladly submit a stable version of my Breakdown Trees :).

2,925 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

109 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Visual level filtering in slicers

I have a large set of options from which I would like to pick some specific ones and use them in a slicer to filter my data.
    Currently, this is not possible while it is an implemented feature for other chart types.
    I'm currently using a 100% stacked column chart as a workaround.

2,830 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

147 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m happy to say this is now complete! In the June 2019 release of Power BI Desktop you’ll see you can set visual level filters on slicers. There’s one known issue where applying a measure filter to a slicer in range mode causes the visual to show an error. We’ll release a fix in an interim update before the July release.

Thanks for your patience and your votes, everyone!

10. Slideshow in Full Screen/TV mode

The ‘Full Screen mode’ could become more useful for presenting reports on dedicated large screens if it became just a bit more dynamic. Whilst it is currently possible to scroll through report sheets by clicking the arrows in the bottom right corner, it would be most valuable to be able to automate such browsing. A solution could be to introduce a “Play” button that starts a slideshow scrolling through the available report sheets according to a customizable time interval.

2,681 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,521 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

342 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded

Hi everyone,

With Power BI Report Server now generally available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/report-server/), we’re marking this idea completed. I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for participating in this community over the past few months and taking time out of your busy days to try the previews and share your feedback; I can’t overemphasize how much we appreciate it and how much it contributes to the product.

In case you missed it, check out our recent blog post, “A closer look at Power BI Report Server” (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/).

While the June 2017 release supports Power BI reports that connect “live” to Analysis Services, we’re hard at work on integrating the Power Query/M-language and Analysis Services/DAX engines to unlock direct connectivity to the other Power BI Desktop data sources, targeted for later this (calendar) year.

We’ve now created a “Report Server” category…

12. Custom branding/colour scheme of dashboard (custom css?)

How sexy the data looks is sometimes more important than how accurate it is!

I love a light grey/dark grey colour scheme as much as the next person, but it be great to be able to brand the dashboard with the organisation colours/background watermark/logos etc. Maybe offer an option to modify the default CSS used - similar to how blogging sites like blogger allow you to change your page layouts/colours with a simple admin gui or completely change it by rewriting the CSS

2,483 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

153 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Embed in SharePoint/Office365

Make it possible to embed Power BI dashboards/reports/items on Office365/SharePoint online pages, for example as a web part.

2,354 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

287 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Today I’m very excited to announce the availability of the Power BI report web part for SharePoint Online! We’ve heard from you all that SharePoint Online is a critical part of how you disseminate and communicate data and that to-date it wasn’t easy to include Power BI content there. The feature we’re announcing today changes all that.

We’ve been busy at work with the SharePoint team building an out-of-the-box web part for SharePoint Online using their new Modern Pages infrastructure. The new web part we are releasing today enables SharePoint authors to embed Power BI reports directly in SharePoint Online pages with no code required! The feature is available today for Office 365 First Release customers.

Read all about the new web part on the Power BI Blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/integrate-power-bi-reports-in-sharepoint-online/

We really appreciate your ideas so do let us know what else you’d like us to add to the web part.

14. Drill-down should drill or cross-filter other visualizations on the page

I have a report page with multiple charts and visualizations. Let's say one of the chart shows Sales by Year and I drill down into 2013 to see the sales by month in 2013. Currently, the drill-down has no effect on the other charts and visualizations on the page; they still show data for all years, not just for 2013. Instead, I'd like other charts to drill down into 2013 or filter by 2013 as well.

2,333 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

221 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Well this is exciting!

We’ve just shipped the December release of Power BI Desktop, and I’m very pleased to say we’ve added the ability to apply filters from a visual when you drill into it. This is now the default for any new visuals; you can turn it on for existing visuals (or disable it if you don’t want it) through the Format tab. Look for “Drilling filters other visuals”.

Hope you like it!
    thanks!

15. Python Script in Power BI

It's great that Power BI already has the capability to run R scripts for data transformation. It would be even better if we could run Python script.

2,253 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

170 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Create different slicers

Allow slicers to be created as drop downs, calendars, on/off switches etc. Let slicers contain multiple fields. Also allow user to specify that slicer can only have one value selected and set a default

2,147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

127 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Analysis by date/time: View data by year, month, day, day of week, time of day, etc.

If I have a date/time field in my data, I should be able to view metrics by year, by month, by day, by day of week, by time of day, and so on. I should be able to drill from month down to day, back up to month, and so on.

I should also be able to ask for 'last 7 days' or '12 months ago' in my formulas, filters etc.

I shouldn't need to create a "Date" table and all of these fields in my data. As long as I have a date/time field in my data, I should…

2,111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the May release of Power BI Desktop we shipped a preview of the relative date slicer. To learn more check out this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

In addition, the new Quick Measures feature has a bunch of time intelligence calculations that you can add to your model. Learn more about that feature here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/quick-measures-preview/

18. Power Point Integration

Being able to intergrade Power BI dashboards and reports into a Power Point deck will allow Power BI leapfrog the competition as a solid differentiation play and also in terms of value to end users.

2,075 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

166 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Tzvi Keisar responded

I’m happy to share that “Export to PowerPoint” is available as a Preview feature, now in powerbi.com.
    See the blog post here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/export-power-bi-report-to-powerpoint-preview/

Since this is still in preview, I’ve opened a community thread to capture your feedback. please use it, we will be monitoring it closely: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Export-to-PowerPoint-Preview-feedback/td-p/78945

Thanks for supporting this important feature, and for your patience!

19. Share with external users outside my organisation

It would be essential that the dashboard and reports can also be shared with external users. E.g. to be able to create a dashboard for a customer for example to show the SLA performance.

2,073 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  279 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Pass filters in URL

It would be great if we can pass filters in the url of the dashboard, which will filter the reports based on various parameters e.g. current fiscal period, geography, person's role, department etc.

2,007 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

75 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who participated in the filter survey last year and for leaving detailed comments below in the meantime as well.

We used your feedback to prioritize and release two enhancements to our filtering:

1. In June, we released the ability to share report filters with others. Behind the scenes, this creates a bookmark with the current slicer/filter state and share a URL containing that bookmark ID. You can use that URL as you wish – in portals, your own emails, anywhere!

2. In August, we expanded support for URL filters on reports, by supporting additional data types (datetime), additional operators beyond equals (greater than or equals, greater than, less than or equals, less than), and the ‘in’ operator to allow filtering on multiple values easily. See more details at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-url-filter-improvements/

We hope these improvements have been helpful to you. If this wasn’t enough and you still want other…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 36 37
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.