Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Disable visual highlighting and interactions

When clicking on certain elements of a visual, I can control the interaction this selection has on other visuals within the report, but I was wondering if there is the ability to completely disable the clickability of a visual? I don't want the end users to be able to click on the visual at all, so neither the selected visual or other visuals would be highlighted? Tooltips should still be viewable on hover.

This feature should be available for use in both service and desktop.

More information on the unsuccessful attempts people have made trying to achieve this with graphs/charts…

501 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

64 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Collapse App Navigation Pane

The new app navigation experience is great but can take up a good chunk of screen retail space.

The option to collapse/uncollapse the navigation pane would be a great feature for users, allowing them to focus entirely on the report/dashboard

496 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow for point-in-time snapshots for reports/dataset

datasets/reports only show latest data. Would like to be able to schedule each month to save a point-in-time snapshot of the report/dataset as it is at that time. Then I can show a client their report from this month, or last month, or one year ago. Not just the data as it is at the latest refresh

496 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a connector for MS Project MPP files

Please add MS Project MPP files as a data source.

Wonderful things can be done with Project Online and Power BI.

I would love to do the same with the MS Project MPP files on my laptop

492 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dataflows Direct Query

Dataflows would be really useful if you could connect to them via DirectQuery. This would mean that we could query enormous dataflows that are not practical to load to the Data model and can make aggregate dataflows that we load to the Data model.

Unsure if this is possible with the architecture of a Dataflow, but it could be quite handy if it is possible.

485 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  26 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Hierarchy Slicer Sync

I tested the "Sync Slicers" it's a very good option but it doesn't work with Hierarchy Slicer, it will be very important to synchronize pages of report's with hierarchical slicers like Hierarchy Slicer.

485 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Refresh dashboards tiles when i change a report

It very annoying having to re-draw every dashboard that uses a specific report. It would be nice having automatic refresh of the dashboard tile when I change a report involved.

485 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  62 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 484 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

129 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Report tab color

The ability to Hide, unhide, or color report tabs, in the same way as Excel allows the user to hide, unhide or color sheets.

Also include this feature in the online version so that when a user publishes their work to powerbi.com, their hidden tabs, unhidden and colored tabs translate to the website.

This is useful when sharing a report with others, and the user wants others to only see certain tabs, or to focus on just the red tabs.

482 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

71 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Public URL for Dashboards

We (and many others) would like to be able to have a public URL for any dashboard that is created. This would enable us to share visualizations outside our organization, with partners, etc.

480 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Faisal Mohamood responded

We will think about enabling this. Won’t “embedding” in a public site via iframe be sufficient?

11. Count should return 0 instead of (Blank)

Count of <some column> should return 0 instead of '(Blank)' (looks better on a Dashboard)

479 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Q&A  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Embed Dashboard into Sharepoint

Great to now have the ability to embed reports into SharePoint, however this needs extending to dashboards.

475 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. The ability to click and drag to select multiple visuals

Like other visual editing packages, would be good if it was possible to drag and select multiple visuals.

472 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. See Records Column Setup

When entering the "See Records" view, it allows you to decide which columns you view while you are in the "See Records", but after exiting "See Records" it reverts to the original view and removes the edits.

There should be an option to save the edits made within the "See Records" view so the unnecessary columns can be removed and the important information can be viewed more easily, and can be saved so the report keeps the edits made when saved.

470 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Embed Power BI Report Server reports into extranet apps

Allow Embedding of Power BI Report Server Reports for Extranet Apps. Because of our clients needs data cannot leave our servers and be put on the cloud. Our existing SSRS reports are displayed using a report viewer object, however this will not work for PBIX. We need to ability to embed PBIX and display it externally. Is this going to be possible with Power BI report Server?

463 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Wanted to post an update to one of the pieces called out for this item – In a future update for the product, we’re planning to do work to introduce support for ADFS/AAD in Power BI Report Server, and at the same time do work to enable your app to override user authentication in a secure way.

16. additional font formatting (bold, italic, underline, etc)

Hi there,

I was hoping that the Power BI team could consider bringing additional font formatting options into Power BI. So wherever there is an option to specify font size, colour and so forth, we should also be able to specify other options such as:

• Bold

• Italic

• Underline

• Strikeout

Also I was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to allow users to highlight a specific part of a text to format it, instead of formatting the font for the entire object in question.

461 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bookmarks on BI Service at Dashboard level

Loving the new bookmarking feature, however working within an organisation where Power BI has just been introduced the majority of our dashboards are pinned reports to dashboard level. It would be AMAZING if the bookmarks (linked to images) worked on the dashboard level.

If you can pin an entire report and the interactive visuals work, logic dictates that any image-based bookmarks should also work. Also adding bookmarks to filters would be heaven.

I appreciate that bookmarks are in preview but would welcome any indication of further bookmark developments?

460 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Data Model Image (Binary) Support in Reports

I was all excited today that I was finally able to get images (binary) files loaded into my power query in the Power BI Designer. This took a bit getting around the Privacy settings and bugs, but the latest release of the Power BI Designer made it possible. Unfortunately now that I have the binary data and images available in my model I can't do anything with them:'( I want to use them like I can in Power View for Tile By and Datacards... Help!!!

455 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Set default theme

Give users the ability to set a theme (either an out-of-the-box or custom theme) as their default for all reports created in Power BI Desktop.

*** Original idea text below:

A dedicated place to set defaults for all Power Bi visuals. If I always want my titles to be 15pt font, and my general font to be 12 pt, I currently have to set on each visual.

449 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to add grand total to column/bar charts

It would be great to be able to add a grand total column/row to a column/bar chart. For instance, if I have four sales regions and I plot sales by region on a clustered column chart, I would like to be able to add a fifth column that shows the total for all regions. Similar to this functionality in Tableau: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/online/mac/en-us/calculationstotalsgrandtotal_turnon.html

449 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.