Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create an read-only and external license tier

Power BI is a great tool for those that need to analyze data, but not all users are equal in their knowledge of PowerPivot, Excel or the underlying data sources. Some users just want to see and act on data. In the current model, users have to have a PowerBI license to even see a report.

So, instead of building or buying a separate visualization layer to go over SSAS or SSRS, why not make PowerView extensible? Give me a very economical or even free limited user tier that can only consume web reports, but no Excel access. You can…

652 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  29 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable Power Query Excel add-in for Mac/Apple/iOS

Even though worldwide mac user adoption is 8% (close to 94 million users) - there are a lot of data scientist and data analyst who use excel on mac and hardly anyone knows about Power BI! I think the best way to introduce them to this amazing world is via enabling Power Query in excel for them and most of influence million dollar analytics tools budget on a regular basis which would help accelerate the Power BI growth!

648 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  109 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to add Feedback or Questions on Dashboard

Would be great if we had a notes area of the Dashboard for people to leave comments or questions about the content on the Dashboard. Same would be true for the PowerView Reports, except have them rollup in the Dashboard area.

646 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support relative path to excel/csv sources

Currently, when excel file is loaded to Power BI, the absolute filepath is captured in the M query. It would be nice if relative filepath was supported. Thus we could place excel file next to pbix and not worry about the file location (local machine, shared folder on server or onedrive)

641 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Capability to show/hide Total column in Waterfall chart

Capability to show/hide Total column in Waterfall chart

629 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

92 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Power BI Desktop Connector for ServiceNow

Create a connector for ServiceNow in the Power BI Desktop "Get Data" list.

626 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

138 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Data Catalog integration in PowerBI Designer

The PowerBI Designer is missing integration with the Data Catalog and there is no online search functionality. The data catalog is a core component of the reporting solution so let me use it with the Power BI Designer

624 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Better control over the shapes, textbox and images

Please consider adding functionality to give the report author more control of shapes, textboxes and images. This functionality might include grouping, disabling selection, etc.

This would enrich the options for organizing data onto the report page and will remove all those unnecessary grey lines and rectangles that the user sees when hovering over the controls

623 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. KPI Customization (Font Size)

Need to be able to change the font size on the KPI tool. A stoplight visualization is needed most, but a set font size on the KPI tool makes it very limited regarding usability and alternate solutions.

618 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

71 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Power BI Global Admin

As an IT administrator I need a way to see all content (datasets, reports, dashboards) that has been created and shared across the entire online tenant. This is needed to be able to support content after employees leave the organization as well as to support our SOX auditing practices.

618 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. HubSpot as a data source

HubSpot as a pre-defined data source

611 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

126 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow more data points to be displayed on a map

I work in the Real Estate industry and receive requests to plot data points on map showing sales in which our company has participated. Everything went fine until I tried viewing all the data points and ended up with "Showing a Representative Sample". I would like the ability to show a minimum of 2500 data points

608 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  40 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Export current theme as a Json file

We have a wonderful option - switch theme to import theme as a JSON file.It would be great to have an export option to export current theme as a JSON file from a report.

605 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Amanda Cofsky responded

We’ve started work to let you export themes from Power BI Desktop!

14. matrix data export to excel

Matrix data is exported to excel in tabular format. It is a lot of rework to again pivot it in excel. We want a visual matrix to be exported to excel as a matrix/cross tab.
    same is for charts. we dont want just the underlying data. When exporting to excel from Powerbi Service, we want it to be exported as-is with all the visuals.
    So many posts on this topic and no answers so far.

597 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Back-button feature to clear selected drillthrough filter value

As drillthrough function we use a filter and we give value for it from other report page. I click back-button and it will take me back to where I was before. In the background filter value stays unchanged. I use drillthrough function again. Filter value changes and I see visuals filtered with that value. I use back-button again. I navigate to that report page manually and to my surprice value selected in prev step is still selected. I know that I can open my filter selections and clear selected value but I'd like to do is to start exploring my…

594 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Synchronize drill up/down of visualizations

I use the drill up/drill down hierarchy feature in almost all of my visualizations. However, when you have several visualizations, it becomes hassle to have to individually drill up/down on each one.

For example, if I have 3 different line graphs plotted over time, if I drill from yearly to quarterly, I would want all 3 to toggle in unison.

594 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 594 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  159 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Full Screen mode in Power BI Report Server

Power BI Report Server should have an option to open the report in Full Screen mode just as it has an option in Power BI Service . When we open reports in Power BI Report Server , we can view page in 3 options 1:) Fit to Width , 2:) Fit to Page and 3:) Actual size . Issue with these three mode is the page and header consumes a lot of space and we need to scroll to view to full report .

591 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  47 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support SQL Server Geometry/Geography data types in Power BI

The ability to display and create Filled Maps (choropleth) using the native SQL Server geometry/geography data types is a must to allow for meaningful geospatial visualization. e.g. Visualize crimes by police beat.

589 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Grouping Fields into dimensions and measure

Grouping Fields into dimensions and measures will allow for quickly locating the fields and helps design reports faster, rather than searching the long list of fields.

586 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.