Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allows Slicers to apply to all Pages of a Report

As has been partly implemented with Filters, it would be very useful to have slicers that could apply to all pages of a report. This would allow users to interact more easily.

4,681 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

511 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The most exciting news so far this year! In the February release of Power BI Desktop we’ve shipped the ability to synchronize slicers on different pages in your report! You can read more about how the feature works here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-2018-feature-summary/#syncSlicers

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback and votes on this feature. We do listen to you so keep voting and let us know what other things you need us to prioritize.

2. Decomposition Tree Visualization Type

Multiple requests from groups that would like to see a decomposition tree. Typically they are from Proclarity/PerformancePoint world.

4,570 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

178 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Visual level filtering in slicers

I have a large set of options from which I would like to pick some specific ones and use them in a slicer to filter my data.
    Currently, this is not possible while it is an implemented feature for other chart types.
    I'm currently using a 100% stacked column chart as a workaround.

2,798 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

148 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m happy to say this is now complete! In the June 2019 release of Power BI Desktop you’ll see you can set visual level filters on slicers. There’s one known issue where applying a measure filter to a slicer in range mode causes the visual to show an error. We’ll release a fix in an interim update before the July release.

Thanks for your patience and your votes, everyone!

4. Slideshow in Full Screen/TV mode

The ‘Full Screen mode’ could become more useful for presenting reports on dedicated large screens if it became just a bit more dynamic. Whilst it is currently possible to scroll through report sheets by clicking the arrows in the bottom right corner, it would be most valuable to be able to automate such browsing. A solution could be to introduce a “Play” button that starts a slideshow scrolling through the available report sheets according to a customizable time interval.

2,668 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Drill-down should drill or cross-filter other visualizations on the page

I have a report page with multiple charts and visualizations. Let's say one of the chart shows Sales by Year and I drill down into 2013 to see the sales by month in 2013. Currently, the drill-down has no effect on the other charts and visualizations on the page; they still show data for all years, not just for 2013. Instead, I'd like other charts to drill down into 2013 or filter by 2013 as well.

2,323 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

224 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Well this is exciting!

We’ve just shipped the December release of Power BI Desktop, and I’m very pleased to say we’ve added the ability to apply filters from a visual when you drill into it. This is now the default for any new visuals; you can turn it on for existing visuals (or disable it if you don’t want it) through the Format tab. Look for “Drilling filters other visuals”.

Hope you like it!
    thanks!

6. Analysis by date/time: View data by year, month, day, day of week, time of day, etc.

If I have a date/time field in my data, I should be able to view metrics by year, by month, by day, by day of week, by time of day, and so on. I should be able to drill from month down to day, back up to month, and so on.

I should also be able to ask for 'last 7 days' or '12 months ago' in my formulas, filters etc.

I shouldn't need to create a "Date" table and all of these fields in my data. As long as I have a date/time field in my data, I should…

2,102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the May release of Power BI Desktop we shipped a preview of the relative date slicer. To learn more check out this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

In addition, the new Quick Measures feature has a bunch of time intelligence calculations that you can add to your model. Learn more about that feature here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/quick-measures-preview/

7. Power Point Integration

Being able to intergrade Power BI dashboards and reports into a Power Point deck will allow Power BI leapfrog the competition as a solid differentiation play and also in terms of value to end users.

2,071 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

169 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Tzvi Keisar responded

I’m happy to share that “Export to PowerPoint” is available as a Preview feature, now in powerbi.com.
    See the blog post here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/export-power-bi-report-to-powerpoint-preview/

Since this is still in preview, I’ve opened a community thread to capture your feedback. please use it, we will be monitoring it closely: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Export-to-PowerPoint-Preview-feedback/td-p/78945

Thanks for supporting this important feature, and for your patience!

8. Top N Filters

Create a filter that allows me to say 'Show the top N categories by value', e.g. 'Top 5 countries by sales'

1,708 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

163 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to select multiple items in a report for cross-highlighting

Ability to select multiple items in a chart say multiple bars, pie's etc and automatically have filters applied to all the existing reports. this helps to highlight anomalies and see all the surrounding reports changes as we do it and showcase risks/opportunities

1,588 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

150 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Export to PowerPoint with filters applied

PowerPoint Export to take into account filters that have been applied to the report prior to export. This is essential for users which need to filter on historic dates and then wish to export the report with those details.

1,480 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

175 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Heat maps in Power View

It'd be REALLY nice to have heat maps capabilities in the map visualization of Power View, like those in Power Maps.

This is an OFTEN requested feature from our large enterprise customers

1,428 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. single selection slicer

The ability to configure a slicer to only be able to select one attribute at a time - similar to a radio button. I would like to disable the ability for people to either choose select all or choose multiple slicers.

1,422 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Matrix Measures or Values on Rows instead of Columns

We need Matrix’s to have the ability to move Measures or Values to rows instead of Columns. This is a definite must have!!! I was in the process of doing a pilot roll out of Power BI to my management team and when this question came up it was a huge miss and got a tremendous amount of groans. This is an everyday view we use and really need this for Power BI to cover the basics. I love the program but we really need this. Please help!

To elaborate, if I have sales, quantity sold, asp (average sales price),…

1,353 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

134 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Text wrap in tables, cards, etc.! -- in dashboards and reports.

I created an Excel workbook with an XML feed from A.W.rd.A.Day: http://wordsmith.org/awad/rss1.xml. I created a table in PV; text in the description of the word is cut off. I upload to PBI and create a tile. Text in the tile is also cut off. Not cool!

1,266 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

210 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add Clear All Filters button to Power View

So that you don't have find and clear filters one by one.

1,261 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

137 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Searchable Slicer

It would be great if slicers were searchable. Many times the list of possible items people can slice by is large, and having to scroll till you find the value(s) you are looking for is tedious.

Please enable slicers to be searchable (much like what Qlik has been allowing for years already).

Thanks.

1,226 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

73 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Personalized Bookmarks

The current bookmarking feature requires report creators to define bookmarks. Ideally, users would be able to save personalized bookmarks (similar to web browser) in addition to the author's pre-defined bookmarks.

For example, I might have a project management report or sales by stores. Each user of the report may have their own set of projects or stores that they want to quickly navigate between. These are relevant to the current users and not other users of the reports.

1,149 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. export excel

Export a report directly in Excel (not only via csv file)

1,142 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

93 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Exporting to Excel from Power BI is supported. You have two options for exporting your data to Excel:

19. Subscribe *others* to emails of reports

Extend the email subscription feature, currently in public preview, to enable subscribing others to email snapshots of reports.

More information about the existing email subscriptions feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/preview/

1,029 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. group objects

I would like to group visuals, textboxes and shapes to create custom features and presentations in the reports.

1,013 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

106 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.