Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. create multiple apps from same workspace

create multiple apps from same workspace infect from same Dataset without replicating the dataset multiple times.
    only option we have now is to update the app and only one app per workspace can be created which a kind of restrict the workspace usability.
    If we can create multiple apps share it with different users without creating multiple workspace ... means same dataset no dataset replication, will save the storage as well.

1,471 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

146 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to move/copy report/dashboards between Group Workspaces

Be able to copy or move reports and dashboards between Group Workspaces, removing the need to re-publish a report and/or rebuild a dashboard.

620 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add "monthly" as a scheduled refresh option

Pro users have the ability to schedule refresh for daily (intra day) and weekly. For some datasets, monthly is the right cadence. Can we have a scheduled refresh option that is Monthly (and lets us choose which day of the month the refresh is to occur)?

493 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

97 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Slicer Search - Add "Select All Results" option

The basic Slicer in power bi already has a search feature. My request is to add a way to select all search results in one click. For example, say I search a text column in the slicer for all values with "ipad" and I get 200+ results returned in the slicer. It would be super helpful if you could select all 200+ results in one click since selecting one-by-one is so tedious.

383 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Need the ability to stop or pause a data refresh from Power BI online scheduler.

If there are many reports running at the time and one report seems like a resource hog, you would want to pause or stop a refresh so that another report can finish.

363 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Export current theme as a Json file

We have a wonderful option - switch theme to import theme as a JSON file.It would be great to have an export option to export current theme as a JSON file from a report.

342 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Publish a Power BI Roadmap

Currently there does not seem to be a roadmap for Power BI. This makes it very hard to plan implementations, as meetings tend to end up with someone saying "Microsoft must know this is a winning feature. I can't believe it's not on their roadmap."

As the person who has to turn the stakeholders dreams into a Power BI reality, this leaves me feeling uneasy, as I can name at least half a dozen must have features that we still don't have.

228 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Read Only Access to Relationship View in Thin Workbooks

My definition of a thin workbook is when you connect Power BI to a tabular server. This can be SSAS Tabular or the Power BI Service (golden dataset as covered here https://exceleratorbi.com.au/new-power-bi-reports-golden-dataset/)

When you use Power BI Desktop as a thin workbook, you cannot see the relationship view or the data view. While this makes sense (they are not editable), it means that it is very difficult for someone to write local measures. It is not possible to accurately write a local measure unless the relationships between the tables are visible.

Please add the relationship view so the end…

211 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Export to Power Point

Export / Print Reports from web to Power Point

205 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  26 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Set Frame size in Sharepoint Web Part

The Power BI Web Part (embed in sharepoint online) works well for me, but I want to adjust the frame size.

I have a report that is wider and longer than the web part frame so I have double vertical and horizontal scrollbars. The only options for frame size are '16:9' or '4:3'.

The frame size should default to the report size (or allow input of height and width of the iframe in px)

194 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a default role for row level security

I want to be able to assign all users (including new ones) to a default role in RLS. Currently I have to assign each user to the role manually, and update the roles manually when users change.

This limits the ability to use RLS with a larger user base.

189 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Hide pages based on role

Managing roles should also be on pages level, not only on tables level. admin should be able to control pages that different users can see based on their assigned roles.

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Vertical reference lines on the x axis

I plot anomaly trend data over time. I would like the ability to include dynamic vertical reference lines on the date (x axis) for all applicable chart types (line, bar, stacked bar, combination, etc). The reference lines represent milestones and help to explain and understand changes in trend data.

157 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. let maps recognize data category hierarchy automatically

Currently maps don't seem to recognize the relationship between a country and a city, even if both columns have been set up with the corresponding data category in the model.

In a table with cities as "cities" and country as "country" in the data model, the cities are plotted in arbitrary countries instead of the country specified in the column for country.

Please let Power BI maps acknowledge the hierarchy of existing typed data categories and plot depending data points only in relation to their parent category context.

You may not feel the pain if you're in the US. I…

157 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Replace workspace 'Members' type with 'Edit Members' and 'View Members'

App workspace's have an option to set members as 'Admin' and 'Member'. Replacing 'Member' with two options 'Edit Member' and 'View Member' would give flexibility with setting member permissions. Some members you want to collaborate & design with (edit), other's members to show content to and get feedback (view), in the development cycle you need both before publishing. Currently, you can only have ALL members with the ability to either edit or view.

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Visual Export to Excel

Please upgrade/include the below mentioned feature in "export to excel" option.

* Export Table or Matrix or Any Visuals to excel with the same look as it is in the PBI report/dashboard.

136 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hide non-Power BI workspaces from left menu

I'm using Power BI and some other O365 services (e-mail, yammer etc.). A few days ago suddenly all my Yammer groups appeared as workspaces in Power BI menu. It's very annoying, I need only one or two workspaces for sharing my PBI reports. Searching for them in the long list is time consuming.

There should be a simple way to switch between only those workspaces, which one needs for Power BI report publishing.

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Rotate Any Visual Element

I've made multiple reports where it would be nice to have the freedom to rotate any visual element. For example, rotating cards 90 degrees either direction would be very nice for putting details along the sides of the page and not using too much space. It could also be useful in many other charts. So instead of making this a hard thing for developers to try to include in each visual, why not add a rotation handle to all visuals that would allow all to be rotated as desired.

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Backup and Restore Points for Workspaces in Service

Provide the ability to restore Service workspaces to a point in time. Would help if someone accidentally deletes content, etc.

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. New way to schedule refreshes

The current method of setting up scheduled refresh in the Power BI service is clunky and nearly unusable--not to mention an RSI nightmare.

Some better solutions:
    --Option for "Refresh every X minutes/hours/days"
    --Ability to schedule more frequently
    --Powershell to create/update Scheduled Refreshes for Datasets

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 68 69
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.