Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Regular Expressions support in Power Query

We think regexp support will help the adoption of the Power Query tool in the most demanding use cases. Many thanks.

430 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

23 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support relative path to excel/csv sources

Currently, when excel file is loaded to Power BI, the absolute filepath is captured in the M query. It would be nice if relative filepath was supported. Thus we could place excel file next to pbix and not worry about the file location (local machine, shared folder on server or onedrive)

425 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fuzzy Comparison function for similar names

For either a Power Query function or a new DAX function, we could use a fuzzy string compare to provide a score like 1 to 10 of the similarity of a string. I believe that SSIS has some functionality like this. For example we often has Company Names that we need to match to an external source and would like to get a score to compare names like "Wal-Mart", "WalMart","Wal*Mart", "Division or Wal*Mart", "Wal-Mart Stroes", etc. Does anyone else need this type of compare - or found a simple way to do it in Power Query?

257 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  27 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Discard Query Changes

The query editor only has two options "Apply Now", and "Apply Later". What if I've messed up my query and never want to apply the changes?

Please bring back the ability to discard changes made during the time the query editor was open

235 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to use wildcards in power query transformation find section of replace values.

In the transformation area of replace values it would be nice to be able to use a wildcard in the value to replace field. For example we have transaction descriptions like... Placement [EB-12375596] and it would be great to be able to enter something like... Placement% to capture all of these. I've got several work-arounds but this would be a great feature for those who don't know SQL.

216 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Time Zone Conversion Accounting for Daylight Savings Time (DST)

We need a way to display data in our local timezone accounting for daylight savings time. The data source stores the dates in UTC but we need reports to show local time. A native and easy way to do this in PowerBI would be a huge help. There are many blog posts and help articles floating around with solutions people have attempted but it's a simple issue that so many users would benefit from having solved centrally by PowerBI itself. Please consider!

163 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When we add Custom Column, allow us to choose its position

When we add a new column in the Query Editor, it always places the column at the end. This makes it difficult to visualy relate the new column with the other columns that were used in the calculation, and make if difficult to debug our custom column code. The workaround to use ordering after we add the column, is not user friendly if we have dozens of columns.

It would be helpful, if we can choose the location of the column from the UI (with a default), and that you add a fourth optional parameter in Table.AddColumn for the column…

132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Disable Background Data Preview Refreshes Global Option

Currently there is the option to disable background data previews in the "CURRENT WORKBOOK" section, but I find myself having to do this in every single workbook to prevent PQ from keeping my processor pegged out at 100% constantly. It would be great if there was a global option to disable these so there was no need to disable on a per-workbook basis.

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow us to have a global option to disable the automatic detection of column types

Please allow us to disable the feature "Automatically detect column types and headers for unstructured sources" from Options --> Global, and not only from Options --> Current Workbook.

Read here about the rationale for this request: http://datachant.com/2017/01/11/10-common-mistakes-powerbi-powerquery-pitfall-2/

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. data format as bytes

I'd like the ability to format a number as bytes (KB, MB, GB, TB, PB, EB)

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. select all fields

Need a way to select all fields at one time so that I don't have to go through and individually select or drag fields into my visual

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add "copy rule" option to conditional column dialogue

The conditional column feature is awesome! I would like to see an option to copy an existing rule since most of the time you only change the value when you add a new rule. It would be a minor improvement, but it's the little things that matter :)

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Copy Multiple Measures between PBIXs

After creating a set of great measures in one report, I may want to use them in another report, but there is no way to copy measures between PBIX's (other than selecting them one at a time and copying the DAX). It would be great to be able to copy multiple measures at one time to a different report.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Get current folder path in M language for dynamic folder path logic

It's possible to get the current folder path of a file using a formula in Excel. This value can then be passed into Power Query. This works fine for data models and visualizations built entirely in Excel.

If the model is built in Power BI Desktop, there's currently no method to land this data into the data model.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Convert between currencies

It would be very useful to be able to convert between different currencies in one table to one common currency.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Using git or some other SCCS to store M queries (NOT a data source)

Power Query M queries are code and can benefit from a source code control system like Git for:
    1. sharing
    2. versioning
    3. backup

It would be great if you could hit a button and either import or export a query to git or svn and whatever is the Visual Studio equivalent

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Memory consumption indicator

There should be a way embedded into the Power BI Desktop or to the Power BI Service to figure out the actual uncompressed memory footprint.
    This doesn't seem to be rocket science, and would save a lot of headache. It would allow analysts to discover how inefficient their data models are. It would ultimately help the Power BI infrastructure as well by helping people to avoid loading the Power BI servers with unnecessary workload.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Stop Executing Queries Multiple Times

I create a query in Power BI Desktop against a data source. Power BI Desktop insists on executing it multiple (usually three) times. This makes Desktop slow and for back-end data sources exerts additional load that can also incur additional costs.

Note: I am not talking about the scenario where a query is referred to multiple times in M, rather just a simple query loaded into one table in the data model. I assume the engine is checking data types, etc - but the current approach is very slow/painful. Optimisation is needed!

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Enable Regular Expressions for filtering and replacing values (REGEX)

This would be a huge benefit and open so many benefits, if we are able to use regular expression in power query.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 36 37
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.