Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support relative path to excel/csv sources

Currently, when excel file is loaded to Power BI, the absolute filepath is captured in the M query. It would be nice if relative filepath was supported. Thus we could place excel file next to pbix and not worry about the file location (local machine, shared folder on server or onedrive)

706 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

55 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Regular Expressions support in Power Query

We think regexp support will help the adoption of the Power Query tool in the most demanding use cases. Many thanks.

610 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

41 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Discard Query Changes

The query editor only has two options "Apply Now", and "Apply Later". What if I've messed up my query and never want to apply the changes?

Please bring back the ability to discard changes made during the time the query editor was open

424 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Week over Week calculation in Time Intelligence Measures?

As of now I see Month on Month and Year on year calculations but at times we also need Week over Week calculation in Time Intelligence Measures? I think it will be a great value add for people who work on Weekly reports.

324 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to use wildcards in power query transformation find section of replace values.

In the transformation area of replace values it would be nice to be able to use a wildcard in the value to replace field. For example we have transaction descriptions like... Placement [EB-12375596] and it would be great to be able to enter something like... Placement% to capture all of these. I've got several work-arounds but this would be a great feature for those who don't know SQL.

259 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  13 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When we add Custom Column, allow us to choose its position

When we add a new column in the Query Editor, it always places the column at the end. This makes it difficult to visualy relate the new column with the other columns that were used in the calculation, and make if difficult to debug our custom column code. The workaround to use ordering after we add the column, is not user friendly if we have dozens of columns.

It would be helpful, if we can choose the location of the column from the UI (with a default), and that you add a fourth optional parameter in Table.AddColumn for the column…

170 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Stop Executing Queries Multiple Times

I create a query in Power BI Desktop against a data source. Power BI Desktop insists on executing it multiple (usually three) times. This makes Desktop slow and for back-end data sources exerts additional load that can also incur additional costs.

Note: I am not talking about the scenario where a query is referred to multiple times in M, rather just a simple query loaded into one table in the data model. I assume the engine is checking data types, etc - but the current approach is very slow/painful. Optimisation is needed!

114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add "copy rule" option to conditional column dialogue

The conditional column feature is awesome! I would like to see an option to copy an existing rule since most of the time you only change the value when you add a new rule. It would be a minor improvement, but it's the little things that matter :)

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Include MissingField Argument with Table.TransformColumnTypes Function for Power Query

From what I can see (and it's not listed in the M function reference) the built in Table.TransformColumnTypes doesn't accept the MissingField argument like most of the other Table functions. This is extremely troublesome because if you are processing a dynamic data source, columns could come and go. It would also seemingly be beneficial to potentially pull this into the Power Query UI and possibly even set this as the default.

The reason I suggest this is that In most scenarios that I come across, failing to transform a column type is not always something that is "mission critical". Especially…

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow us to have a global option to disable the automatic detection of column types

Please allow us to disable the feature "Automatically detect column types and headers for unstructured sources" from Options --> Global, and not only from Options --> Current Workbook.

Read here about the rationale for this request: http://datachant.com/2017/01/11/10-common-mistakes-powerbi-powerquery-pitfall-2/

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. data format as bytes

I'd like the ability to format a number as bytes (KB, MB, GB, TB, PB, EB)

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Disable Background Data Preview Refreshes Global Option

Currently there is the option to disable background data previews in the "CURRENT WORKBOOK" section, but I find myself having to do this in every single workbook to prevent PQ from keeping my processor pegged out at 100% constantly. It would be great if there was a global option to disable these so there was no need to disable on a per-workbook basis.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Convert between currencies

It would be very useful to be able to convert between different currencies in one table to one common currency.

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Copy Multiple Measures between PBIXs

After creating a set of great measures in one report, I may want to use them in another report, but there is no way to copy measures between PBIX's (other than selecting them one at a time and copying the DAX). It would be great to be able to copy multiple measures at one time to a different report.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable Regular Expressions for filtering and replacing values (REGEX)

This would be a huge benefit and open so many benefits, if we are able to use regular expression in power query.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Get current folder path in M language for dynamic folder path logic

It's possible to get the current folder path of a file using a formula in Excel. This value can then be passed into Power Query. This works fine for data models and visualizations built entirely in Excel.

If the model is built in Power BI Desktop, there's currently no method to land this data into the data model.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. R-Skript-Datasource/"Run R Script"-Transformation without Personal Gateway

As discussed in

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Understanding-how-R-Scripts-work-in-Power-BI-Service/m-p/328687#M37427

it would be nice to be able to use "R-Skript" as a Datasource with public accessible Data - from websites for Example - and the Transformation "Run R Script" in the Query Editor without using a "Personal Gatway" and therefore relying on my local machine which is not practical in a productive BI environment.

At the moment, it´s not possible to use "R" or "Run R Script" "stand alone" in the service, would have been pretty great if I could use R for data wrangling instead of M/Power Query with the "Run R Script"-Option. This would…

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Azure Table Storage Direct Query

This has been requested, but I felt it wasn't presented in the best (most forceful?) way. Azure Table Storage is for PETAbytes of structured data according to your own marketing material. If you don't support some sort of query filter, Power BI for Azure Table Storage is a toy, a novelty, and "cute" - support for Azure Table Storage is merely a checkbox on your list of service support. But for real business use - it simply doesn't support Azure Table Storage at this point. Truly, Power BI is missing the whole point regarding ATS - you can't just download…

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Export Column Profiles as a Table

my customers love the new column profiling feature in Power Query. With the GA today, it is even better. One thing I have been asked for a few times now is the ability to export the column profile data as the result of a query. Ideally this could be exported to Excel for further investigation, or simply return it to ta table in Power BI for further investigation.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.