Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Custom Viz access to the previous levels in a drill-down

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees.

This would let custom viz developers add thing like pivot tables and Breakdown Trees :)

[This idea was created as an offshoot of https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15844186-pivot-tables-and-breakdown-trees. Fredrik had initially asked for updates to the Custom Viz API, but many votes and comments were cast assuming the idea was just asking for the Power BI team to…

3,260 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

103 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working to enable drill down capability for custom visuals as part of the framework.
      This will enable custom visuals developers to declare which of the data roles can be drilled down. the user experience will be the same as it is for core visuals in Power BI.

• Decomposition Tree Visualization Type

Multiple requests from groups that would like to see a decomposition tree. Typically they are from Proclarity/PerformancePoint world.

2,979 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

120 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Print option from Power BI Desktop

A print option for Power BI Desktop is required.

This will support design and development efforts by having a hard copy available for use in scenarios where online and real-time are not the best approach or even the most appropriate approach.

2,971 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

84 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Pivot tables and breakdown trees

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees. Make this possible and I would gladly submit a stable version of my Breakdown Trees :).

2,810 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

108 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We released a preview of a new matrix visual with today Power BI Desktop release. This new matrix can be used as a source of cross-highlighting, has a stepped layout, can be drilled in to /out of hierarchies, and has performance updates.

You can read all about it in our blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-march-feature-summary/#matrix

During the preview we will be adding even more new features, so keep watch each month for more improvements and let us know in comments what else you’d like to see.

• PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,547 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

318 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

You can now try the January 2017 Technical Preview: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/01/17/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-services-january-2017-technical-preview-now-available/.

Also:
              - We plan to release a production-ready version in the next SQL Server release wave. (As previously clarified, we won’t be releasing it in a Service Pack, Cumulative Update, or other form of update for SSRS 2016.)
              - We’re targeting availability in mid-2017 for the production-ready version.
              - A few more FAQs in this blog post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/12/16/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-services-feedback-on-the-technical-preview/.

• Global filter in dashboards

Allow me to pin a filter to the dashboard that can be associated with one or more pinned dashboard KPIs.

2,438 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

188 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all – we’re looking into how best to tackle this and other filter-related functionality. If you have a few moments, please take the following survey to share your thoughts. The survey takes ~10 minutes to complete, and will help make sure that what we’re building meets your needs. We appreciate your feedback!

https://aka.ms/x998cx

• Power BI Designer for Mac

Provide a Power BI Designer application install for Mac OSs.

2,354 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

414 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allows Slicers to apply to all Pages of a Report

As has been partly implemented with Filters, it would be very useful to have slicers that could apply to all pages of a report. This would allow users to interact more easily.

2,300 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

198 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all – we’re looking into how best to tackle this and other filter/slicer-related functionality.

If you have a few moments, please take the following survey to share your thoughts. The survey takes ~10 minutes to complete, and will help make sure that what we’re building meets your needs. We appreciate your feedback!

• Create different slicers

Allow slicers to be created as drop downs, calendars, on/off switches etc. Let slicers contain multiple fields. Also allow user to specify that slicer can only have one value selected and set a default

2,199 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

124 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Analysis by date/time: View data by year, month, day, day of week, time of day, etc.

If I have a date/time field in my data, I should be able to view metrics by year, by month, by day, by day of week, by time of day, and so on. I should be able to drill from month down to day, back up to month, and so on.

I should also be able to ask for 'last 7 days' or '12 months ago' in my formulas, filters etc.

I shouldn't need to create a "Date" table and all of these fields in my data. As long as I have a date/time field in my data, I should…

2,149 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

108 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        started  ·  Lance DelanoLance Delano responded

This is started but has quite a few features associated with it. We have previously released the built-in date hierarchies. With the April update we will release a dot notation for using time intelligence with these date hierarchies. This will be under the preview switch for “Inline hierarchy labels.” Turn that on and you will get access to time intelligence functions for these private date tables. Still missing, but on our immediate backlog that we’re working are Nested hierarchy labels, time filters, fixes around how we show time date, and others.

• Tables in PDF files

I have come across so many public data repositories that hold data in PDF format. Other websites have tables within documents such as annual reports etc., also in PDF format. A data source for PDFs or tables from PDFs would be awesome!

2,106 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons

Please add Collapse/Expand buttons in the Matrix Visualizations. Otherwise when all fields are expanded by default the user would have to scroll a lot to find what they are looking for. I could add a slicer to take user to the data they are looking for but then the rest of the data in the matrix disappears and more specifically the overall totals change!Expand/Collapse buttons would keep the overall totals as intended and totals for other fields while allowing the user to only expand the field they are interested in. Also ability to do conditional formatting for a specific field…

2,048 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

154 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Looks like Amanda’s link didn’t work so I wanted to update again. Here’s our documentation on the new preview:
                            https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-matrix-visual/

There are a few highly requested features that we know are missing (resizing columns, sorting etc.) and they’re outlined at the bottom of that document .They’ll come in future releases!

You’ll also see a link right at the bottom of that page to a survey where you can gives us your feedback on what we should prioritize on top of this preview.

and please do keep commenting here – we read everything even if we can’t reply to them.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Drill-down should drill or cross-filter other visualizations on the page

I have a report page with multiple charts and visualizations. Let's say one of the chart shows Sales by Year and I drill down into 2013 to see the sales by month in 2013. Currently, the drill-down has no effect on the other charts and visualizations on the page; they still show data for all years, not just for 2013. Instead, I'd like other charts to drill down into 2013 or filter by 2013 as well.

1,656 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

132 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone. We’ve been investigating how this could work in Power BI and have a better handle on it now. It’s definitely here on our backlog although there are many other items we’re prioritizing higher (just take a look at the other ideas we’ve marked as “Started”!). 

Thanks for your support of this idea – and stay tuned for more updates in the coming months.

Will

• Custom branding/colour scheme of dashboard (custom css?)

How sexy the data looks is sometimes more important than how accurate it is!

I love a light grey/dark grey colour scheme as much as the next person, but it be great to be able to brand the dashboard with the organisation colours/background watermark/logos etc. Maybe offer an option to modify the default CSS used - similar to how blogging sites like blogger allow you to change your page layouts/colours with a simple admin gui or completely change it by rewriting the CSS

1,607 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • can i sign in with my personal email login?

can i sign in with my MS outlook login?

1,537 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

412 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Power BI Desktop Auto Update

I'm shocked that I'm required to download a new version of Power BI every time you roll out updates. It's 2015, push those updates via the web to my desktop app, how hard can that be?

1,504 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  83 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Integrate SSRS reports

Source dashboard reports from SSRS reports.

1,460 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

80 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are actively working on integrating SSRS reports into Power BI. SSRS is a very rich platform with huge array of extensibility options that customers are heavily using. So running these reports on prem and delivering the results to Power BI dashboard tiles is one option that we are exploring as a first step. If you have any inputs/suggestions, please comment on it.

• Pass filters in URL

It would be great if we can pass filters in the url of the dashboard, which will filter the reports based on various parameters e.g. current fiscal period, geography, person's role, department etc.

1,428 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all – we’re looking into how best to tackle this and other filter-related functionality.

If you have a few moments, please take the following survey to share your thoughts. The survey takes ~10 minutes to complete, and will help ensure that what we’re building meets your needs. We appreciate your feedback!

• Text wrap in tables, cards, etc.! -- in dashboards and reports.

I created an Excel workbook with an XML feed from A.W.rd.A.Day: http://wordsmith.org/awad/rss1.xml. I created a table in PV; text in the description of the word is cut off. I upload to PBI and create a tile. Text in the tile is also cut off. Not cool!

1,302 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

195 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Create calculated measures on top of a live SSAS connection

Creating a live connection to SSAS MD or Tabular is working just fine. However, it would be very beneficial to have the ability to create new calculated measures (in MDX). Just like we can create our own calculated measures when writing an MDX query for a SSRS dataset.

1,216 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

135 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 350 351
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.