Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dataflow Refreshing

Refreshing data flows should have the option to setup a start date and end date for data flow refreshes.

This will increase the value and assist report developers to have greater control and spend less time maintaining a dataflow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include power query script from URI like git repository

Hi Team,

in my former BI Tool, i had the possibility to embed/include external text files - for Power BI Dataflows this would be POWER QUERY Scripts - from sources like github, gitlab or azure dev ops git repositories.

I would love to see this feature in dataflows as this would make a hugh step forward for maintanance of dataflow definitions and collaborative work.

Let me know your thoughts?

Best regards Philipp

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Dataflows PDF Connector

Enable the PDF Connector - it went GA in Power BI Desktop and Web Service in April 2019, so it should also be in Dataflows.

It is always frustrating to consider moving a set of Queries to Dataflows, only to realize that the functionality is so limited.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let admins change existing dataflows

Currently, only the owner can change an existing dataflow, no other user has access to it. What if that person leaves the company or is on vacation?

This should be opened up for admins or members, preferably even with a read / write permission settings for a dataflow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Dataflows: schedule full refresh beside incremental refresh

Please add the option to shedule a full refresh next to the incremental refresh with separate schedules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add dataflow entity from another dataflow

Dedicated support for the following workflow should be a priority.

Currently there are a bunch of hacks people are resorting to to disable entity loads. But this and my workflow should be dedicated features.

It follows on, extends the hack to disable loading of a dataflow entity to use it as reference logic. e.g. a master data transformation/ETL scenario.

I've recently found that you can ammend the M query in a dataflow entity to reference an entity from another dataflow via entering the workspace directly.

I discovered this by testing whether the copied M query from PBI desktop of a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. rename dataflow

Be able to rename a dataflow after it's original creation. A simple must have feature. Seems currently that renaming is not supported. After changing the name in properties it throws an error and reverts back to the original.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Dataflow documentation

It would be great to include documentation in the dataflow. Along with expanding the Entity Name to view the fields and typing, it would be great to also add a custom text field to share descriptive content business partners.

Additionally, this descriptive content (along with the properties field) could be visible in the M-script for copy/paste replication of the Advanced Editor contents.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. dataflows

It would be great to include documentation in the dataflow. Along with expanding the Entity Name to view the fields and typing, it would be great to also add a custom text field to share descriptive content business partners.

Additionally, this descriptive content (along with the properties field) could be visible in the M-script for copy/paste replication of the Advanced Editor contents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Version control for dataflows (integrate with github?)

It would be great to have version control over a dataflow, such as integration with Github. Sometimes a change can be made to the dataflow logic, which produces an error on refresh and the error detail is relatively poor to assist with identification of the issue. So being able to rollback would be good.

Also, this would allow multiple users to work on a dataflow and ensure the recording of any changes made or even fork if required.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow relationship modeler to work with multi field keys; some tables can only relate to other tables based on multi field keys.

Allow relationship modeler to work with multi field keys; some tables can only relate to other tables based on multi field keys.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. dataflows related content

Allow viewing of related content for dataflows, similar to datasets, reports and dashboards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. View/edit external Dataflow properties in UI

In the UI on app.powerbi.com, when viewing properties for an external Dataflow, I only see the following information:

This dataflow is hosted in external storage. Learn more

This makes it hard to remember which Dataflow corresponds to which external CDM folder, etc.

I would like to:

1) view external Dataflow property info (like what is the path to the model.json it is connected to)

2) edit those properties if possible

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. R Transform Power Query Dataflow

It would be great to add R (And Python for that matter) scripting to a Dataflow process in Power Query Online.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Update, Insert and Delete Support required for the robust ETL

Update, Insert and Delete capabilities like SQL would really shine the use case of dataflows for the enterprise grade ETL. Also, It would be great if allowed to design schema of the common data model within dataflows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow to refresh dataflow that uses Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 and an associated gateway with shared capacity

Please allow users of shared capacity to refresh dataflow that fetches data from on-premise data source via a gateway and store the data in an external ADLS Gen2 storage. This would allow small to mid size organization to leverage dataflow and create a playground for the data scientists and business analysts

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. linked dataflow Sub Transformations

I really like the concept of Linked Dataflow, but people need the ability to apply additional transformations to dataflow. For example, a System Administrator setups a dataflow for an application and it made globally available to the organization. From there a workspace owner should be able to apply additional transformation to meet for there project. Without this abilility, you are still required to duplicate a lot of effort.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. linked dataflow subquery

I really like the concept of Linked Dataflow, but people need the ability to apply additional transformations to dataflow. For example, a System Administrator setups a dataflow for an application and it made globally available to the organization. From there a workspace owner should be able to apply additional transformation to meet for there project. Without this abilility, you are still required to duplicate a lot of effort.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. add Folder connection like Desktop in DataFlow

I couldn't find a "Folder" connection in Dataflow in Power BI Service.
    Could you please add this feature in Next Release.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Dataflow Incremental Refresh with Pro

I couldnt see this as an existing idea but I did see an idea around Incremental Refresh with Pro in general. I wasnt aware that Pro couldnt do this already and hope that if that gets changed then that change will also flow into the DataFlow settings.

It just doesnt make sense not to have this available. Both for Microsoft and for the users of the product - I assume both entities are affected equally when massive datasets are being downloaded constantly and unnecessarily. Maybe users slightly more impacted as it impacts how they use the product and how up…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.