Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Save Power BI report to Report Server with data source other than Analysis Services

At the moment it is only possible to save a Power BI report with data source Analysis Services to the Report Server. With any other data source you get a error, that only Analysis Services is supported. Please add the possibility to save reports with other data sources to Report Server.

193 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded

With Power BI Report Server (October 2017), released earlier this week, you can now:
    - Import data from any Power BI Desktop data source
    - Schedule data refresh or connect in “DirectQuery” mode for many of the most-used data sources (see data source support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/documentation/reportserver-data-sources/)

Read the blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-version-of-power-bi-report-server-now-available/

Thanks to all of you who tried the August 2017 Preview and shared your feedback!

2. Sharing Dashboard's from Power BI Premium with Free Users

As a big organization who has invested in Power BI Premium server we would like to be able to share Dashboard's with Free Users.

We can share App's but in some cases, it's useful to be able to share single dashboards from the workspace with specific users.
    For now, we must create many workspaces, which also create lots of O365 Groups, and this doesn't seem appropriate. We have been informed that selective publishing app content, is in the near future, according to the road map.

Still being able to share single dashboards is still a missing feature when you pay…

147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Dynamic Parameters for What if analysis

[Will Thompson] I've just merged a couple of very close scenarios, which all have similar great ideas! Something we're considering for the future, so I'm keen to hear your feedback on this. I like this core scenario of a numeric value that is bound to a slider control, and can then be used as part of some expression.

- In a sales report, I can adjust a '% increase' slider to see what impact a small change in revenue might have had on my sales.
    - In a mortgage calculator, I can change the % rate, borrowed amount and term to see projected…

1,241 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

85 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! I’m pleased to say this is available in the August update of Power BI Desktop. You can create a table that is bound to a slicer to select a value, and use that value in your calculations.

At the moment it’s not supported in Live Connect mode over SSAS models – if you have a requirement for that scenario please vote here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/20558389-enable-what-if-parameters-with-analysis-services

4. Slicer over all pages

What we really need is a slicer (filter) to be available over all tabs/pages. Maybe create a user control which can be placed on each page? In this user control you can define multiple filters/slicers which are available on each page. Maybe a kindof pulldown menu for this user control so it does not take up to much space?

178 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Conditional Formatting with fixed colors not color scale.

Hi Team,

Conditional formatting is extremely poor as it does not satisfy the basic criteria.

I need to set the colors based on the value ranges.

Red - if the values are <75
    Yellow if the values are in between 75 and 84
    Green if >=85.

I don't need diverging. Users are getting confused among the multiple shades when you are dealing with high dense values.

Please let me know if this can be implemented in the near future or not,

Thanks
    KVB

231 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Expose tab order as a property of visuals for keyboard navigation

Users that consume Power BI reports with keyboard navigation (including screen readers) can tab through the visuals on a report page, but the tab order seems to be the order in which the visual was placed on the page by the report designer. So if I make a page and put two charts on the bottom row, a title text box at the top left, and a table on the top row, that is the tab order. I would like to be able to change a property to make the tab order go from title to table to chart 1…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Disable/hide visual border on hover

Disable/hide visual borders when hovered over, atleast in full screen mode. It makes the UI look pretty untidy.

449 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Drillthrough on Mobile for Table/Matrix Visualization

The drillthrough for mobile should work on Table/Matrix visualization as well.

The May 2018 Updates include the drillthrough for mobile. However, it's not working for Table/Matrix Visualization. For example, user will like to drillthrough to the customer analytics report by right-click on the customer record in a table/matrix visualization (Just like how it work on the Power BI Service).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Dynamic date slicer

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
    YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

935 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow copy and paste between different PBIX's

Often we need to expand on an idea from one report further and copy and paste visuals/pages from one PBIX to another. This would be a huge productivity and quality benefit.

3,663 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

292 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. On-Prem Teradata Connector for Dataflows

We use Teradata for one of our Enterprise Data Warehouses. We would really like to have an On-Prem Teradata Connector available in Dataflows

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. URL Filter in mobile apps

Ability to use URL-Report filter in mobile in the same way as in the PowerBI Service.
    -In PowerBI Service you can pass filters to another report via an URL using ODATA filters. Allow this also in the app

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make Power BI Apps shared with external users available through Power BI Mobile app

Currently you cannot open a Power BI app shared with external users in Power BI Mobile. You can open it though if you sign in through the web browser, however the mobile dashboard user experience on the web browser isn't nearly as good as in the mobile app.
    Is there any authorization reason preventing the app to be shown in the mobile app but allowing the same user account to see it in the browser?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Totals

I use to work with matrix , I need to replace de text "Total" instead of another text, Ex: "Total Gross Profit"

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Apply the same filter across multiple pages

I have a report that requires more than one page in the mobile view. The problem is both pages should reflect the same filters. I do not expect users to select the same filters again and again; the filters should be selected on the first page and apply to all subsequent pages.

This idea was previously posted under the heading "Make filters that can apply across all pages in a report". However, it will not longer accept votes as it is marked as completed. Is an option available to apply page level filters from the report/dashboard to subsequent pages?

204 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Ella Ben-Tov responded

We are very happy to announce that filters are now available in phone reports.
    You can read about phone reports filters here – https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/filters-coming-for-phone-reports-on-ios/
    Even though it doesn’t meet the specific ask for a report level slicer, page level reports offer the same functionality in an easy and friendly way.
    We hope you like this addition to the Power BI mobile apps and encourage you to experience it and provide us with feedbacks.

16. Portrait view in Power BI in Ipad and Android tablet

It would be great if we have Portrait view in Power BI App for Ipad and Android tablet. It will be very helpful to navigate the necessary information.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable specific security groups setting for 'Publish to web'

The "Publish to web" setting for portal administrators currently has the options of 'Enabled' or 'Disabled'. It would be beneficial to have this manageable in the same way as content packs so certain security (AAD) groups could be set as publishers.

133 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news (and sorry for the late update). We added granular admin controls for Publish to web, so you can choose which of your users can create or are excluded from creating Publish to web embed codes. Just go to the Power BI Admin portal, expand Tenant Settings, expand Publish to web and you’ll see the options. Here’s the documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-portal#tenant-settings

18. More flexible Conditional Formatting in Tables and Matrixes

More flexible Conditional Formatting in Tables and matrixes.
    The current color customization in tables is very limiting. I need more than 3 color choices.
    I should be able to add multiple values and assign colors to each.

409 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since the creation of this idea back in 2016, we have added much more flexibility to conditional formatting.

Two particularly powerful updates include…
    Format based on rules: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2017-feature-summary/#conditionalFormatting

Format based on another column: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-2018-feature-summary/#conditionalFormatting

Of course we will continue adding even more functionality to conditional formatting, but this idea now to generic to be useful. There are many specific conditional formatting ideas on this site, so please, if we are still missing something you need, vote on it so we can continue to add valuable updates for you!

19. Allow embedding a report using the phone layout (or a new responsive layout )

A typical website nowadays is responsive, but Power BI reports are not. Embedding them in a website might lead to a bad user experience on mobile devices. Embedding reports using the phone layout (or a similar responsive layout) would be great for use cases where mobile devices are targeted from the website.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. customizing the word total

I would love to be able to change the word 'Total' to anything such as Grand Total, YTD Total, or to remove the word completely but still retain the numerical values.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.