Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Preserve colors for each "category" in Pie Charts when filtering in the same report.

Problem:
    Random color pick in pie charts.
    I am showing different pie charts of the same listing in the budget and for the same categories I see different colors between graphs.
    When a category (depending the filter) has no value and is not shown in the pie, then the colors don't match between graphs.

Solution:
    Preserve the colors for each "category" in the pie, so when we put a new pie chart referencing the "categories", i will see the same colors for each for a comparison.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. We would really like to be able to pass filter context from sheet to sheet within a PowerBI file.

It would be nice to be able to pass filter context from sheet to sheet within a PowerBI file.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Should be able to sort the value for axis or legend when showing in chart

Say when there are three distinct values in the field of an Axis, like 12/20, 12/21, 12/22, we should be able if need to sort them in asc or desc when showing in the chart. Currently, they come out in a random order

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  8 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Drag and drop dashboard tiles onto other dashboards

I'd like to be able to drag charts/tiles from a dashboard I'm viewing onto a saved dashboard in the left hand nav. This would make it easier to create a "master dashboard" that leverages charts from multiple dashboards, rather than relying on the Reports section to pin the tiles to the dashboard.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Provide an easy way to display the last refresh date/time in a dashboard

We update a real-time dashboard every 15 minutes (time interval is configurable). We want to let people know how fresh the data is and reassure ourselves that the dashboard is still running, so we display the last refresh date/time in the upper right corner of the dashboard. We need a simple way to do this that doesn't require VBA (what we currently use to trigger the refresh and set the date/time value in the cell). Thanks!

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I can add filters to charts and page in a intuitive way (right click -> add to filter maybe)

Currently filters is hidden an my reports end users are finding it difficult to edit filters. Can I make it easy and intuitive to add a field as a filter (using right click -> add to filter) etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 321 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  21 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow connection to older versions of SQL server

Need to be able to connect to versions of sql server other than 2012 and other database types.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Business Objects

I would like to see support for Business Object Data Sources, in the same way they are currently supported with your Power Query tool.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  12 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Text boxes or Labels on dashboard canvas

I'd like to be able to group tiles by categories on my dashboard and give those sections of tiles a title/name. I.E. visualizations related to Football go in the Football section of the dashboard, visualizations related to Baseball go into the Baseball section of the dashboard, etc.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  8 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to regenerate report tile

When you create a report, eg connect to Excel with Power View you get a link to the report (tile) on the dashboard. If you delete that report tile or want that report tile on another dashboard there is no way I can see to recreate it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. By opening the Preview up to users in the rest of the world also!

It seems the preview is not available in Europe. At least not in The Netherlands. I would love to participate, if you would allow me to have a look I am happy to share my thoughts/ideas!

Regards,

Lucas

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  8 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide details about the AS Connector or ability to debug issues

Currently there are no clear details about the AS Connector's foot print and system requirements. Any system administrator will need these details to install the connector on their server. Also, there is no ability to debug issue if the connection does not work - Is the server down , is the connector corrupted, is the model incorrect. There is also no way to evaluate traffic and throughput from the connector. These details are needed to make the connector a successful product.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. The "Share" icon right to the Dashboard name appears like a "Refresh" button. That should be made somewhat different than a Refresh button.

The "Share" icon right to the Dashboard name appears like a "Refresh" button. That should be made somewhat different than a Refresh button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Amanda Cofsky responded

The share button specifically says ‘Share’ on it now, so this confusion should be better. Thanks for the feedback!

15. Undo / Redo button in browser & designer

Unlimited redo's would be nice, but at least have a fixed number of undos.

This helps with the prototyping process where you can confidently do a number of changes to see how something may look, and then back out if it doesn't work.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  10 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Azure Table Storage

Please add Azure Table Storage support as a data source

122 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Open Excel report from Power BI app

Being able to open an excel report from Power BI application in phone and tablet to see the raw number behind the visualization

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ability to connect to Azure Document DB

We just built a great application using Document DB and I wanted to use the data source for testing Power BI but it is not there.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Can you make the Power BI app available on Canada App Store ?

Currently only available on the US App Store.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. The filter UI is clunky and difficult to use. Consider usability improvements.

The filter UI is clunky and difficult to use. Consider usability improvements.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.