Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Adding pictures or shapes to canvas

Is there any way to add shape/picture support? And make it easy to add texts inside of the shapes?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dynamics Marketing

We need a data source type for Dynamics Marketing OData feed.
    (Have posted before but got collapsed with CRM. But really these CRM and MDM are two separate and technologically independent products.)

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatic refresh of dashboards

Need to be able to update dashboards with live data from Excel and other sources. This is already solved for PowerBI sites through automatic refresh using the DMG - the updated Excel file gets written to the PowerBi site, but this technique cannot be used here as there is no connection to Office 365. Either create a connection or create an equivalent mechanism for updating data (OneDrive alone is not enough).

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  22 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Canvas Size

Can we have a dynamic canvas in reports (similar to VISIO's canvas)? Start with one page. If the user needs more space on a single view, then the canvas size expands automatically (both horizontally and vertically).

(please also make the canvas size consistent between reading mode and edit mode. Currently, entering editing mode shrinks the canvas size horizontally)

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SAP Hana

Some organisations are already adopting Hana, provide a connection to it from Power BI

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BUG: Complete loss of work while saving report

I accidentally clicked on the "Retail Analysis Sample" dashboard (out of the box sample dashboard) and then clicked in my newly uploaded dataset and started building charts and then clicked Save. I immediately clicked on the page title "Microsoft Power BI Public Preview" while I barely saw a warning toast that said "Warning: This dashboard is read only, your changes will not be saved." and since I had already clicked the title the page navigated to the landing page and my work was lost.

Repro
    1. Have a dataset ready to use.
    2. Click on the out of the box…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow me to change the label on pinned questions from Q&A

Typically in a dataset I will want to pin a few totals, averages or so on based on a particular category (these are KPI type metrics that would show a single number on a pinned item, not a chart), For instance if I am looking at 2 major regions I would like to be able to pin a Q&A question like "total revenue for the region west" along with "total revenue for the region east" both to my dashboard. If you do this now they both have the same name of "Total of Revenue", which is very confusing, since they…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Q&A  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Have the ability to hide legend header in charts

Sometimes legend doesn't need a header; the series names are self-explanatory. Can we have an option to hide the legend header? Or customize it (so we can delete the header or change it to something more meaningful)?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 'Check for update' feature in PowerBI Designer

Would be handy if there was a 'check for update' button in the PowerBI Designer.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support cration of iPad/iPhone specific dashboard layout

[From Maria Balsamo]: It would be good if the user could rearrange the charts on their scorecards and save that arrangement just for their iPad.

So, on my laptop, I have my laptop view and sort order. On my iPad, I have my iPad view and sort order.

Since these two devices are different size and I use them differently, I'll want to view my data differently on them.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to maximise a dashboard on screen, ie temporarily hide top black bar, Q&A box, and fit remainder to screen

Ideally with ability to zoom into specific areas a bit lik you can do in powerpoint presentation mode

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. How can I change the unit of the result in Dashboard?

I would want to show the exact number down to single digit and not rounded to millions. As finance, more often than not we'd want to show accurate numbers. If there is way for us to specify the unit to use, it'd be even better!

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. pin text tile to the dashboard

Pin Text tile from the report

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Visual Studio Online

Also known as TFS Online, VSTS online etc.

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Tooltips on dashboard visuals

Tooltip needs to work for charts on a dashboard.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Scrolling in graphs in dashboard tiles

Currently, visualisations do not scroll vertically when in graph mode so data that does not fit in the predetermined tile sizes gets cut off. However, in table mode this works well. The capability to scroll vertically (and horizontally for that matter) in graphs should be developed.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Twitter Analytics

Twitter analytics

222 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone. There’s a really great Solution Template that was recently launched which uses Cortana Intelligence and other Azure services to analyse particular tweets, hashtags etc. and then visualizes it in Power BI

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/twitter-solution-template/

It’s really simple to get started, and will provision all the right dbs, connectors etc. into your own Azure account.

Thanks!

20. Scheduled refresh, so that we can test and use in real scenarios

I realize this is something you're working on. I just point out our testing and usage scenarios are going to be pretty limited until scheduled refresh makes building a dashboard more worthwhile - even for the short term.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.