Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure AD B2B guest users able to open Power BI Apps in the mobile app.

It's great that we currently have Azure AD B2B available for Power BI. However it is not possible to give external guest users access to Power BI reports / dashboards in the mobile application.

This needs to happen before we are able to really use AAD B2B, unfortunately for now we are still stuck creating local AAD users for the external guest users.

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for Python Visuals on web based Power BI

Python Visuals are currently supported only on PBI Desktop. It'd be great to add dashboard/graphs functionality and coding support for the Python Visuals on web based Power BI (app.powerbi.com).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show email address or user name in usage metrics for dashboards and reports

In the usage metrics for dashboards and reports, show the names and/or email addresses of the end users.

FYI: The current usage metrics feature is documented here:
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-usage-metrics/

453 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show actual CPU utilization of Premium capacity rather than just CPU high utilization

For the Premium Capacity reports, show actual CPU utilization of Premium capacity rather than just CPU high utilization (represented by the number of times the CPU exceeded 80% utilization). At the moment we have no idea how close we are to breaching CPU performance limits. We could be close to 79% permanently without knowing.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Premium  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Custom Viz access to the previous levels in a drill-down

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees.

This would let custom viz developers add thing like pivot tables and Breakdown Trees :)

[This idea was created as an offshoot of https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15844186-pivot-tables-and-breakdown-trees. Fredrik had initially asked for updates to the Custom Viz API, but many votes and comments were cast assuming the idea was just asking for the Power BI team to…

2,940 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Certify PowerApps custom visual

I know its still in preview but my tenant blocks the use of custom visuals that aren't certified. Can't use the visual and test integration until it becomes certified.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Optimize iOS app for iPad Pro

Most of the MS Office apps are fantastic and optimized for the new iPad Pro models, particularly the 11” model with the larger screen. Power BI is not yet, and would be great to make use of the new screen size and capabilities.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Pass filter in URL (Power BI Report Server)

It would be great if it would be possible to pass filters in the URL of the report on the report server (as it is already possible in Power BI online)

284 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded

As promised, we’ve added basic filtering of Power BI reports via URL parameters, similar to the Power BI service feature described here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-url-filters/.

For example, if you’ve embedded a Power BI report into another app using an iframe and a URL like the following:

https://reportserver/reports/powerbi/Store Sales?rs:Embed=true

Then you can specify additional filters using the “filter” URL parameter:

https://reportserver/reports/powerbi/Store Sales?rs:Embed=true&filter= Store/Territory eq ‘NC’ and Store/Chain eq ‘Fashions Direct’

Syntax: URL?filter=Table/Field eq ‘value’

The same restrictions that apply to the Power BI service apply to the Report Server as well:
    - Table and Field names are case sensitive, value is not.
    - Fields that are hidden from report view can still be filtered.
    - Value has to be enclosed with single quotes.
    - Field type has to be string.
    - Table and field names cannot have any spaces.

9. Ability to mark some pages as "Do not publish" in Power BI Desktop

In Power BI Desktop it should be posible, before publishing the file to the service, to mark some pages as "do not publish" or hide them for publishing. This way we can have some safe hidden place to draft new ideas or a repository of charts to copy to the pages that will actually be published.
    The place to put this functionality could be the contextual menu that appears when right clicking the page name (now it shows "Duplicate Page" and "Rename Page". New option could be "Do not Publish")

708 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please improve the interface!

The title area slides down over the charts and there's no proven way to get rid of it. There's no proper way to bring up the menu at the bottom either, I have to resort to random clicking and sliding and every time is an experiment in how thay works.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Admin ability to to clear the RAM/memory within a premium node

Admin ability to to clear the RAM/memory within a premium node. At times the memory seems to run hot and functions seem to be halted due to high memory usage. As an admin, its near impossible to troubleshoot what is consuming memory. If I could clear it out to get things working properly again, that would be great. It would also allow me to troubleshoot the root cause better

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Premium  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Subscribe *others* to emails of reports

Extend the email subscription feature, currently in public preview, to enable subscribing *others* to email snapshots of reports.

More information about the existing email subscriptions feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/preview/

1,035 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Include report filters in Drillthrough action

As much as I like the new Drillthrough actions, it seems a bit lacking in that it does not also pass through any report filters that are active on the source report on the source report.

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Pivot tables and breakdown trees

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees. Make this possible and I would gladly submit a stable version of my Breakdown Trees :).

2,924 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

109 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Format visualization "Title" with report themes

The "visualStyles" that can be applied in report themes, since the 2017-Sep release, are great! But from what I can tell, we can't use them to control the formatting options in the "Title" card, for all visualizations.

Even with something like...
    "visualStyles": {"*": {"*": {"*": [{"fontFamily":"Arial", "fontSize": 10, "color": {"solid": {"color": "#000000"}}}]}}}
    ...the visualization/chart titles are not affected!

Please let us control the formatting of titles, with report themes.

110 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Power BI Premium Performance Monitoring

I currently have no way of monitoring my Power BI Premium server. As we add more and more users to our single EM1 PBI Premium server, I am sure at some point we will run into performance issues. However currently there is no way to see the load on the server.

Here are two things that would help:

1. Server level usage metrics reports. Currently I can only view this by workspace, and I have 50+ workspaces, so there is no way to know the overall views or active users.

2. Server level performance reports. There are lots of metrics…

154 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Premium  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Improved usability of buttons in Power Bi Mobile

Desktop Layout (Works fine): A Single click on a button in powerbi takes you to the desired page

Mobile Layout (Errors): A single click doesn't work on the mobile layout. You need to select & click it for it to open the linked bookmark. Double clicking redirects it to the option of expanding it in a focus mode.

For the ease of use for the user, it would be better to have a single click on the button.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow customization of email subscription schedule

Extend the existing email subscription feature to allow me to specify exactly *when* the email is sent out - e.g. send me the email at 2pm every Monday.

More information about the existing feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/

803 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Map dot/bubble sizes should scale properly (with zero= a tiny dot)

The minimum dot/bubble size in maps is too big and as a result visualisations are misleading as dots representing very different values can appear the same size (as discussed in the forum under "desktop-Map point sizes almost all the same" where some examples are posted). The obvious answer is for zero values to be represented by single points (with maybe an option for zeros not to be plotted at all)? (I’ve posted this here so people can vote for this to get sorted)

332 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

85 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Save Power BI report to Report Server with data source other than Analysis Services

At the moment it is only possible to save a Power BI report with data source Analysis Services to the Report Server. With any other data source you get a error, that only Analysis Services is supported. Please add the possibility to save reports with other data sources to Report Server.

193 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded

With Power BI Report Server (October 2017), released earlier this week, you can now:
    - Import data from any Power BI Desktop data source
    - Schedule data refresh or connect in “DirectQuery” mode for many of the most-used data sources (see data source support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/documentation/reportserver-data-sources/)

Read the blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-version-of-power-bi-report-server-now-available/

Thanks to all of you who tried the August 2017 Preview and shared your feedback!

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.