Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dark Mode for Power BI

Having a dark mode especially on the creator UI when putting things together would be helpful, similar to other MSFT apps (Azure, Office 2016, etc).

344 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

61 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Power BI direct connector to ADLS2 (Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2) thus Power BI directly connect to ADLS2 for reporting and Firewall slider

currently Power BI does not have direct connection to ADLS2 and requires Power BI Dataflow to access the ADLS2 data which causing data redundancy and creating extra hop for the same data and can be directly consume form ADLS2. Power BI direct connection with ADLS2 is great addition for Advance Data Analytics and firewall slider Power BI which enable exclusive access Power BI similar to AAS (Azure Analysis Service) .

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Prompt the User Before Creating a Hierarchy When Fields are Dragged Onto Each Other

How many times have you dragged a field onto another field by mistake and have it create a hierarchy?

It happens quite often. Usually I am trying to drag the field to the Visualization pane but fail to hold the mouse button. And lo and behold it creates a hierarchy. (Which I then have to delete. But sometimes I do not even notice that I accidentally created a hierarchy).

It would be nice if a prompt came up, asking if we want to create a Hierarchy.

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Export Column Profiles as a Table

my customers love the new column profiling feature in Power Query. With the GA today, it is even better. One thing I have been asked for a few times now is the ability to export the column profile data as the result of a query. Ideally this could be exported to Excel for further investigation, or simply return it to ta table in Power BI for further investigation.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Compare two Queries - Columns

I would like to have the ability to do a "compare tables" or "compare queries" option.

I understand that there are visuals/queries I can build to compare the DATA within two separate queries but I want to compare the two queries. I want to know how many columns are in TableA versus how many are in TableB and which column names are different from each other. When I have two tables with 150 columns (give or take) and they are allegedly a copy of each other I want to be able to confirm that all 150 in columns in TableA…

161 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Subscribe others to emails for reports or dashboards that have RLS

Power BI now allows users to subscribe others to emails for reports and dashboards. However, if RLS is applied to the dataset this is not possible. This idea will remove this restriction.

375 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Key Influencers over time

Key Influencers evolution over time.
    The new Key Influencers visual does a nice job to understand the contribution of different factors in a given population. If the evaluation is performed over a given period, it is likely that some factors produce a different influence over time, i.e. the mix of factors/influencers tends to be more dynamic than static over time. For example, in a mix of products at different stages of their lifecycle, it is not uncommon to see new products behaving differently to products that initiate their decline. In other cases, some factors have a significant influence triggered by…

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  AI and Machine Learning  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add an interface in Power BI Reports for browsing shared datasets on the Report Server.

A current capability we use in Power BI Reports on our Power BI Report Server is consuming Shared Datasets that are already on the server. We should have a "Shared Dataset" connector option in Power BI Optimized for Report Server that helps users identify which Shared Dataset are available on the server and the parameters(if any) are required to use the shared dataset. This would be a similar capability that exists in Report Builder when adding shared datasets.

This could be a simple UI that ultimately results in an OData source using the PBI REST API. This would simplify adding…

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow non-admins to see enterprise gateways in dataflow creation

According to my experience and the documentation, only admins of enterprise gateways can see gateways during the dataflow creation process. Can this not be opened up to report authors as well? Our enterprise gateway is controlled by IT and has one or two administrators. "Self-service ETL" won't be realized unless report authors can create dataflows using the enterprise gateway.

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  8 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. matrix data export to excel

Matrix data is exported to excel in tabular format. It is a lot of rework to again pivot it in excel. We want a visual matrix to be exported to excel as a matrix/cross tab.
    same is for charts. we dont want just the underlying data. When exporting to excel from Powerbi Service, we want it to be exported as-is with all the visuals.
    So many posts on this topic and no answers so far.

202 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option to use either light or dark interface.

New Desktop app update installed an almost white user interface. There is zero contrast which is not good for the eyes. I see where some people have requested a light interface so incorporate an option to select either light or dark theme like in the Office apps.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Protect .PBIX with password

Allow to protect a pbix file with a password.

136 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Rename fields on the new filter pane

Ability to rename fields on the fielter pane just like on visuals

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SAP HANA 2.0: Display Calculation Views in HDI-Containers

In SAP HANA 2.0, Database Views reside in so-called HDI-Containers. Power BI Desktop (PBIRS) shows empty Containers (database schemes) but not the Calculation VIews inside.
    The old Calculation VIews from HANA 1.0 are visible.

So please extend the connector for SAP HANA (relational mode) to select the new Calculation Views from the HANA data dictionary as well as the old ones.

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Dark Theme/Alternate Color Desktop Themes

Enable a dark/black/gray theme for the various versions of BI; to enable ease of use.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Disable visual highlighting and interactions

When clicking on certain elements of a visual, I can control the interaction this selection has on other visuals within the report, but I was wondering if there is the ability to completely disable the clickability of a visual? I don't want the end users to be able to click on the visual at all, so neither the selected visual or other visuals would be highlighted? Tooltips should still be viewable on hover.

This feature should be available for use in both service and desktop.

More information on the unsuccessful attempts people have made trying to achieve this with graphs/charts…

346 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow SSO from Power BI Service to Denodo

Currently a fix credential is used to configure connectivity from Denodo connector in Data Gateway to Denodo Server. It is not able to capture login user in Power BI service and allow pass through down to Denodo Server so that only authorized rows/dataset is return. Please work on this ASAP as we want to leverage the row level data access control built in Denodo centrally rather than recreating at Power BI level.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Custom Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. One single schedule task for sequential refresh of both Dataflows + Dataset

The biggest thing that I’m missing is the ability to schedule a Dataflow, plus a Dataset (without Premium capacity). Now you can schedule both separately, but not in an automated sequential way.

https://ssbipolar.com/2018/11/24/whats-missing-from-power-bi-dataflows/

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Export to PDF needs to include all rows in a Table or Matrix visualization

The new feature Export to PDF appears to be just a screen capture of each report - whatever is currently being shown on the screen is what is captured in the pdf. When a report has a Table or Matrix visualization on it with rows that scroll beyond what is shown, these are not captured in the pdf. Need to have all the data show up in the pdf.

178 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Stop Executing Queries Multiple Times

I create a query in Power BI Desktop against a data source. Power BI Desktop insists on executing it multiple (usually three) times. This makes Desktop slow and for back-end data sources exerts additional load that can also incur additional costs.

Note: I am not talking about the scenario where a query is referred to multiple times in M, rather just a simple query loaded into one table in the data model. I assume the engine is checking data types, etc - but the current approach is very slow/painful. Optimisation is needed!

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.