Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve performance of MDX queries using Analyze in Excel

When you use Analyze in Excel, MDX queries are sent to the Power BI dataset. If you have a PivotTable with 10 measures, the performance is usually slower compared to a similar Matrix in Power BI with the same content. Power BI generates DAX queries.
    One of the reasons why this difference exists is that the DAX query is optimized using a process called "fusion", which includes in a single storage engine request the aggregations required for multiple measures, whereas this feature has not been implemented for MDX queries.
    Implementing fusion for MDX queries would dramatically improve the performance of…

375 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

23 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Display user's preferred name in Power BI web app and desktop like other O365 applications

Currently, Power BI web app and desktop app displays as Given Name + Last Name. While everywhere else it displays name with is the users Preferred First Name + Preferred Last Name.

For example a user has a given name of "Elizabeth Smith" with a preferred name as "Betty Smith". When in the Power BI desktop or sharing a Power BI report, you see "Elizabeth" and not "Betty". However, in Outlook or MS Teams, you see the preferred "Betty".

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it visible on a report when it is based on a certified dataset

The new feature to certify datasets is extremely useful to report developers in making sure they choose the best data available.

However, it in certain circumstances it would be very useful to be able to make it visible on a report for the end consumer whether a report is based on a certified dataset. For example, in a pharmaceutical environment, where only certified data can be used for anything which could impact patient safety, only reports built on certified data should be used. It should be possible to differentiate reports used for every day decisions vs those used for these…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Custom color in Power BI apps

When creating an app I only get a select few colors to choose from.
    I want to be able to choose a specific color here.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tizen browser (chromium engine) support

We want to display our dashboards in a Tizen browser (Chromium M56 engine) but it keeps looping back to the login page.

Currently, MS doesn't support this browser. Would be great if you would.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. "Display folders" above table level in data model

It would be nice with some kind of organizing level above the table level in a (tabular) data model in Power BI, SSAS etc. For instance, by using "Display folders" to include measures, columns etc. from multiple tables in the same folder.

There's a lot of business value to tap into between and across organizational boundries and tables, or from a wider overview, which is restricted by the tables as the top level in larger data models.

The concept quickly and superficially illustrated by a fictive AdventureWorks example: https://oxcrx34285.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/166559i041B82FEAEB0C494/image-size/large

Maybe one could also have a choice between showing the traditional…

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Built-In VBA Editor in PowerBI

• The Built-In VBA Editor in PowerBI should contain the following:

• Contain better importing and exporting data to and from PowerBI

• Be able to write DAX in the VBA Editor

• Saved Sub Routines and Functions

• Userform capabilities

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to add a consent or a disclaimer to use the Power BI service

A feature is needed on the power bi home page, either as a pop-up or a static disclaimer, that can be edited by the admin.

This would be used to remind, for instance, users that the data they share is govern by organizational ethics and best practices.

Their agreement to the consent is then recorded in the tenant. A timer can also be available to display the consent every month, 3/6/9/12 months.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. update Power BI Service parameter value in dataset

when overwriting a parameter in PowerBI Service (in dataset settings) those new values are not reflected in the parameter table (when Load Table is enabled on the parameter) .

Now, when visualizing the parameter value in the report, it still shows the old/original value of when the report was published from PowerBI Desktop, instead of the new/updated value that was set in Dataset Settings in Power BI Service.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. back to the previous operation

I want the function that back to the previous operation in Power BI Service.
    When operating a filter or slicer, it is not convenient to use only the function to reset to the default value.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Set default x axis scrolling position

Enable selection of the default scroll position for the x-axis on a chart. For example, on a line chart with dates as the x-axis, when not all of the data can display in the view at once, the scroll defaults to the beginning/left end of the x-axis and the most recent dates are at the far end causing the end user to always have to scroll to see the most recent data. If you could set the visual to default to the right end, then the user would only have to scroll if they wanted to see more history.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Analyze in Excel using DAX

When users connect to a data model using Analyze in Excel, the model is queried using MDX.

However, all the performance tuning tools available are geared towards DAX.

I think the ability to navigate a PBI model using Excel is great, and helps get stubborn uses on to using curated data sets without having to get them to make the even bigger jump to moving away from their beloved excel.

However, we're noticing performance issues when MDX queries are hitting the model. If I write a query in DAX I can return my desired results in around 2 seconds, where…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Search in blog.powerbi.com

Currently there is no search functionality on the blog.powerbi.com site. There is a "search by categories" refiner and an "articles by date" refiner but there is no free text search box to allow a user to enter text to search for. This would be very useful when looking to see what has been announced around a specific keyword.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Provide complete detail information for all activities in the audit log

Some activities in the audit log do not provide detail information.

E.g.1 for the "ExportTile"-activities there are no details provided on the report it was exported from. We would like to monitor from which reports tiles are exported.

E.g.2 "EditDataset"-activities don't always provide details about the related dataset.

E.g.3 For "ViewUsageMetrics"-activities there is no details provided on the report/workspace it was requested from.

E.g.4 For "PostComment" & "DeleteComment"-activities there are no details provided on the related dashboard.

Please provide this information for better monitoring.
    Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to rename measures in Analysis Services or Power BI

If we need to make changes to measure names in either AS or Power BI, all of our existing Excel or Power BI reports either do not work, or drop the previous measure from the report. Is there a way to allow measure name changes but not lose the measure from existing reports? We are essentially not allowing name changes on measures because of all of the re-work it would cause on the user reporting side.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Data colors Conditional formatting for Charts with Legend split

We are missing the Data colors Conditional formatting based on Field value, when a Legend split is used.

Example
    Report: CO2 emissions by Country by Year

Requirement: the Color to stick to the Country, since it visually associates the user with the content.
    Data colors Conditional formatting for now provides this only when the Country is plotted on the axis as stand alone.

Chart Type: Stacked Column
    X axis: Years with Legend split by Country
    Y axis, Value: CO2 emissions

Data Points:
    [
    {"Country":"US", "Color":"#B22234", "Year":2017, "CO2":100},
    {"Country":"US", "Color":"#B22234", "Year":2018, "CO2":102},
    {"Country":"US", "Color":"#B22234", "Year":2019, "CO2":105},
    {"Country":"UK", "Color":"#00247d", "Year":2017, "CO2":30},
    {"Country":"UK",…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Deployment Pipelines Rollback and Version Control

There would be a great idea if you can add feature of Rollback the Report to the previous version if let say the Deployment did not go well. Also, would be great if we can have reports version history.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Create Viewer Access Role

I have many end users who should remain as such. End users. They should be able to consume content period. Having this limited access will not allow them to edit, alter, delete, update, etc. They should also not be able to download content in a PBIX file as they won't be permission-ed to connect to the original data sources only. This would be very helpful to have, particularly in the new apps where I have various levels of users interacting with the published content, some who truly need read-only access (particularly in B2B situations where we publish data to external…

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Custom Data Labels in Charts

A simple yet extremely useful feature of Excel graphs that Power BI lacks (yet) is the option to put another column (or measure in this case) as custom data labels.

This would allow as to, for example, make a horizonal bar chart with the values in the labels and the % in the axis.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Keep Non-work or school account access to Ideal.PowerBI.com

This site, Ideas.PowerBI.com should be accessible to me via my on-line identity (that of my Gmail account) and NOT restricted to a work or school account.
    If I were to change jobs, I want my ideas and votes to follow me so I can track them, etc.
    Same goes for the Power BI Community site.

Sure, obviously company sensitive data needs to be kept accessible ONLY via an appropriate work or school account, but my work has control over my Power BI Pro license and access to the site. They can revoke that upon termination or retirement or whatever.

But…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 62 63

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.