Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Export Column Profiles as a Table

my customers love the new column profiling feature in Power Query. With the GA today, it is even better. One thing I have been asked for a few times now is the ability to export the column profile data as the result of a query. Ideally this could be exported to Excel for further investigation, or simply return it to ta table in Power BI for further investigation.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop Executing Queries Multiple Times

I create a query in Power BI Desktop against a data source. Power BI Desktop insists on executing it multiple (usually three) times. This makes Desktop slow and for back-end data sources exerts additional load that can also incur additional costs.

Note: I am not talking about the scenario where a query is referred to multiple times in M, rather just a simple query loaded into one table in the data model. I assume the engine is checking data types, etc - but the current approach is very slow/painful. Optimisation is needed!

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Field formatting multiple data types in a table

In the field formatting section of a table, allow users to be able to change the data type of the column. Example: I have a custom selected measure that will give the results for both Sales or Units depending the selected slicer choice in a table. I need to have the Sales in currency format and Units in a whole number but cannot have both currently, only one of the other.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Skip bad rows at Load stage

Recently we came with an issue related to wrong formats in data, at Load time if you have bad data you will have an exception and information wont load.
    We need a feature who allows you to skip bad data when you load the information and the option to see rejected records.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Group/ Binning with Live Connection

Provide grouping and binning functionality against live data. In particularly against live data from SSAS Tabular data cubes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Time Zone Conversion Accounting for Daylight Savings Time (DST)

We need a way to display data in our local timezone accounting for daylight savings time. The data source stores the dates in UTC but we need reports to show local time. A native and easy way to do this in PowerBI would be a huge help. There are many blog posts and help articles floating around with solutions people have attempted but it's a simple issue that so many users would benefit from having solved centrally by PowerBI itself. Please consider!

163 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make code generated by Power Query UI less dependent on hardcoded values

All the code generated using the Power Query UI is so literal, it feels like I'm interacting with a dumb kid. If I'm selecting all columns and, say, trimming them, why hard code all the column names? It makes code hard to re-use and brittle, which generates a lot of menial code editing overhead.

Instead I would like PQ to try and generate more generic code. I'm sure combining soft coding with code generation is a hard problem, but this would have so much more impact on the productivity of Power Query developers than sinking resources into yet another sentiment…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Rename query steps without refreshing preview

While renaming query steps (right-click rename OR right-click properties) when you apply the name change, it will re-run the query step. Why? Best practice to rename query steps yet for very large data sets this becomes cumbersome during the queries initial development. Note: I could be missing something valuable that would prevent this, please advise.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Disable "see records"

There should be an option to disable "see records" for the graphics that support it. It is a huge issue when it comes to security. I know you can hide certain columns but in reports that should only be high level data, the see records item is really an issue.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable Search box within the Advanced Editor.

When in Advanced Editor in the Power Query Editor, if you pressed Ctrl-F a search box would open to help you find text within it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Incremental data refresh from a stored procedure

Incremental refresh works good when refreshing data from tables. We have to deal with complex logic and predefined structure which is not possible from tables. Incremental refresh from stored procedure will be very helpful.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Export Data From Visualisations as they appear in PowerBI

It would be good to be able to export data that appears in PowerBi visuals in Excel in the format as they are presented. Currently export will retreive the underlying data and not how it has been pivoted/presented within PowerBI.
    Benefit of this is that the investment in time to get it ini that format is not wasted (or needs more time to redo in excel) if that data is needed for other teams to use

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. join on multiple fields

I would like support for joining tables on multiple fields i.e. as a composite primary key. Something similar would be useful for table relationships too.

Currently I have to create a custom column that concatenates 2+ fields and match on that

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. isnull()

Please add isnull() to powerquery

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Undo option in 'Applied Steps' in Power Query Editor

There should be an undo option in case you have accidentally deleted a step in the 'applied steps' section in Power Query Editor.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Quickly remove all columns containing only Null/Blank values

The recently introduced Column Quality feature in the Query Editor allows us to identify Valid, Error and Empty values in each column.

It would be great if we could quickly and easily remove all columns that only contain Null/Blank values.

I recently had a situation where I'd loaded a table containing 100 or so columns into the Query Editor and I had to manually work through these removing all such columns - which was at least half of them.

Having such a feature avaialble in the Query Editor wold be fantastic, and it may also be useful to have something…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix the action around Formula.Firewall so instead of a weird error you get prompted with something actionable

PowerQuery throws this odd error in some cases when a query references another query. Instead of the error, it should prompt you to select the correct privacy setting.

Formula.Firewall without Ignoring Privacy Levels? Query 'x' (step 'Source') references other queries or steps and so may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination

Questions on this come up repeatedly in the forums. See two discussions here:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ee1381f7-c919-4134-be96-5f06dbdb9cd5/how-to-fix-formulafirewall-without-ignoring-privacy-levels-query-x-step-source-references?forum=powerquery

And from 2015!
    https://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/03/11/power-query-errors-please-rebuild-this-data-combination/

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Have a DisplayAsName at the dataset level for fieldnames so you don't have to rename it all the time for every visual.

Have a DisplayAsName at the dataset level for fieldnames so you don't have to rename it all the time for every visual. For example if the fieldname is nc_BPS and you want it to show as "Beipiaosaurus" everywhere, it would be nice to have a DisplayAs option.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Query mode QoL: Add name of new column in applied steps

Instead of using the generic "Added Custom" or "Added Conditional Column", rather insert the column name to make it easier to navigate through the step logic.

For example if I add a conditional column called Turnaround time, it is far more useful for me to see that I added Turnaround time than for me to see what type of column I added.

It saves time that is waste having to manually rename those steps and also means that if one of my colleagues works on the model, they can easily identify important items without having to go through every addition…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Change data types and other formatting functionality with SAP HANA DirectQuery

The SAP HANA DirectQuery does not support data prep features like changing data types as well as other formatting changes. Without the ability to prep the SAP HANA data with DirectQuery, there is no way to leverage SAP HANA's real-time data capability. Thus, whenever a user needs to change data, they are forced to use Import (a static data set).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 36 37
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.