Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power Query parameter to decide to refresh or not

I would love to have a formula in PQ that decides whether the query needs a full refresh or not. Currently, we can manually select if we want a query to be "included in report refresh". But let's say a huge flat file has not changed since the last refresh - then it's a waste of resource to do a full refresh until it changes. Thanks!

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Modify field properties in Power Query in both desktop and dataflows

Often when building transformation logic or entire datasets I have already prepared field properties such as descriptions and synonyms. It would be useful to be able to add the properties within a dataflow or dataset so that they properties are inherited from the original Power Query.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop Executing Queries Multiple Times

I create a query in Power BI Desktop against a data source. Power BI Desktop insists on executing it multiple (usually three) times. This makes Desktop slow and for back-end data sources exerts additional load that can also incur additional costs.

Note: I am not talking about the scenario where a query is referred to multiple times in M, rather just a simple query loaded into one table in the data model. I assume the engine is checking data types, etc - but the current approach is very slow/painful. Optimisation is needed!

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Week over Week calculation in Time Intelligence Measures?

As of now I see Month on Month and Year on year calculations but at times we also need Week over Week calculation in Time Intelligence Measures? I think it will be a great value add for people who work on Weekly reports.

318 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. interative count based on criteria in either dax or Power Query

I would at times like DAX or Power Query to iteratively count (1st, 2nd, 3rd) each instance of a given cell value.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Set significance / significant figures

As of today, we can only select the amount of decimals a certain column or measure should have. However, it is often scientifically more useful to set the amount of significant figures it should have.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. calculated column

Provide the report writer the ability to add calculated columns through the Modeling tab in PBI Desktop, when the report writer has sourced a common data model (Get Data>Powerbi Datasets)

At current, although the report writer has build permissions to the common data model, they are not able to add a calculated column.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please put subtotal % option in Matrix View

Hi Team please put subtotal % option in Matrix View

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. PowerQuery: Staging steps

It would be really good to have some staging \ caching ability when designing queries.

Sometimes you are designing a complex query that reads a lot of data and is generally slow. Currently at every action power query re-reads all the data on every action, even on ones that do not really need a full refresh - like renaming\reordering columns, adding columns with no calculations etc. Even renaming a step triggers a full refresh which can take up to several minutes.

It would be nice if I colud "Freeze" a step basically telling that it needs to be cached and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PowerQuery: InterQuery Merge

I often have to merge one step of a query with another step from the same query. It would be usefull if I could select existing steps of current query from interface.

The situation comes up often when, for example, you have a general mapping that needs to be filtered before applied. Or merging two tables that need to be groupped before merge. I don't want to create separate query just for filtering \ merge, so I do it inside the main query. Example:

let
    Source1 = Table1
    GroupedforMerge = Table.Group(Source1 , {"SettleDate", "NonResID", "SubAccCode", "SECID", "SecISIN", "SecName", "SecAssetClass","SettlCur"}, {{"SettleAmount",…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PowerQuery: Step naming improvements

PowerQuery queries tend to get quite long. Some suggestions on auto-naming improvements that may help manage all the steps:

When creating Custom column rather than naming step "Added Custom" use the name of the column set by the user (example user adds column "Difference", the step should read "Added Difference"
    The same goes for Invoke Custom Function. Add either column or function name into auto generated name
    For MergeQueries use name of QueryMerged ("Merged Mapping" instead of "Merged Query")
    Add a setting to remove all spaces from auto names in steps. This will be useful when writing code, as you…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. PowerQuery: Function linked table generation

Please add a feature to generate a linked table from a function.

PowerQuery has a good feature where you can generate Functions from tables that have paramenters.

When you do that the table becomes linked to the function and any changes to the table are applied to the Function. It is very useful for testing \ designing.

Unfortunately, once you move the Function to another workbook the link is broken. So if you want to make any adjustments you either have to find your initial workbook or do it in code with no way to see intermediary results.

It would…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. remove blank "columns" power bi

Include remove blank columns power bi button, similar to Remove Blank Rows.
    Workarounds with transpose, romove blank rows and transpose, do not work if you have columns names.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. No Undo & Redo Shortcuts

Please add Undo & Redo Shortcuts like CTRL+Z & CTRL+Y

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. There is no Redo Option/Feature in Applied Steps

There is no Redo Button. In case I delete a steps in Applied Steps category, i can not redo it so i there is no option left to close the pbix and create all the transformations again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Datetime filtering and relative

When applying a filter to a Datetime value, there are four options: 'Advanced Filtering', 'Basic filtering', 'Relative Date', and 'Relative time'.

What I want to filter, is showing only items with a Datetime value that is more than one month old. With advanced filter, I can choose values that are before an absolute date and time. With relative date,I can show items that are filtered by a datetime relative to the current date.

My idea is to adjust the advanced filtering item to allow relative filtering.

For example, below the 'Show items when the value:' line, there is still the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Spit by delimiter in dax

I have not been able to find a relatively simple way of splitting a cell based on a delimiter using DAX. I often do this in Power Query but having the flexibility to easily do this in DAX would be very helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Highlight/note columns in PowerQuery

Make the ETL processes easier with PowerQuery by being able to select a column and highlight it a color or with an icon. With this you can then either sort these out and distinguish it from others in the same table or other tables. This would be super helpful when trying to prepare data (especially when Appending tables) as right now all columns look the same aside from name. Also, my organization is a PowerBI Pro user and they would love to see this feature come into place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sort values in Column Profile Value Distribution

This feature is useful showing value distributions. It seems to recognize dates, allowing grouping by month, day, however when you display by value it sorts by the highest to lowest number of days leading to seemingly random date order on the axis. Because of that you cannot clearly see when you are getting more values at a time of year for example. When you group by month, multiple years are grouped together, you need group by Year/Month. Also a you might want to display category labels in alphabetic order. So the idea is to have a Sort By including the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Column sort order based on unique key as attribute to another column value to allow for multiple duplicate values in a dimension

today, to sort one column based on another, all values must be unique. However, bringing in text dimensions from large databases often have unique keys, but duplicate values that are not necessarily the same. We need the ability to sort these "duplicate values" based on their unique key as we do not want to add key values to the visuals.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.