Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop Executing Queries Multiple Times

I create a query in Power BI Desktop against a data source. Power BI Desktop insists on executing it multiple (usually three) times. This makes Desktop slow and for back-end data sources exerts additional load that can also incur additional costs.

Note: I am not talking about the scenario where a query is referred to multiple times in M, rather just a simple query loaded into one table in the data model. I assume the engine is checking data types, etc - but the current approach is very slow/painful. Optimisation is needed!

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. calculated column

Provide the report writer the ability to add calculated columns through the Modeling tab in PBI Desktop, when the report writer has sourced a common data model (Get Data>Powerbi Datasets)

At current, although the report writer has build permissions to the common data model, they are not able to add a calculated column.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export Column Profiles as a Table

my customers love the new column profiling feature in Power Query. With the GA today, it is even better. One thing I have been asked for a few times now is the ability to export the column profile data as the result of a query. Ideally this could be exported to Excel for further investigation, or simply return it to ta table in Power BI for further investigation.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a setting to disable column profiling altogether

There is no way (as of Jun 2019) to fully disable column profiling. The problem is that complex queries can take a long time to execute and the column profiling header bar at the top of each column can take minute or hours of processing to show the color-coded green bar. All the while, it's eating up database resources and making PQ run slower.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Group/ Binning with Live Connection

Provide grouping and binning functionality against live data. In particularly against live data from SSAS Tabular data cubes.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Skip bad rows at Load stage

Recently we came with an issue related to wrong formats in data, at Load time if you have bad data you will have an exception and information wont load.
    We need a feature who allows you to skip bad data when you load the information and the option to see rejected records.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Edit Data Table From Relationship View window

In the current relationship view window we can delete a data table from the model.

It would be nice to right click on the data table and click edit query for the underlying table. This would immediately open up the query editor for data table changes.

Today you have to switch views to the table view, and click edit table. or navigate to the edit queries button and click edit queries. Doing this opens the queries, but you still have to navigate to the table you want to change.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Field formatting multiple data types in a table

In the field formatting section of a table, allow users to be able to change the data type of the column. Example: I have a custom selected measure that will give the results for both Sales or Units depending the selected slicer choice in a table. I need to have the Sales in currency format and Units in a whole number but cannot have both currently, only one of the other.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Promote selected headers only

It'd be nice to promote the first row into headers but only for specific columns.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel table with the total line

Hello,
    If an Excel table has a total row, this table will be imported with the total row in Power BI as an ordinary row.
    Adding this row will cause mistakes in the PBI report and I suppose that the majority of users don't need it in their models.
    I suggest to ignore this row when we import an Excel table in Power BI and Power Query.
    More explanation can be found in the link below:

https://numidiabi.wordpress.com/2019/07/29/power-bi-power-query-import-table-with-total-line-big-mistake/

Thank you

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Disable "see records"

There should be an option to disable "see records" for the graphics that support it. It is a huge issue when it comes to security. I know you can hide certain columns but in reports that should only be high level data, the see records item is really an issue.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Function to calculate working / business days between 2 dates

Can we have a function similar to Networkdays in excel to determine the net working days between 2 dates. for the list of holiday which will be optional, we can enable it via list or separate table.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Data type in Power Query custom column

In the dialog box that appears when you create a custom column, there should be a drop-down box where we can select the desired data type of the new column. As-is, we have to add a second step specifying data type or manually in the formula bar/advanced editor type ", type text" or whatever; it would be far more convenient to be able to do that right within the dialog box.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make code generated by Power Query UI less dependent on hardcoded values

All the code generated using the Power Query UI is so literal, it feels like I'm interacting with a dumb kid. If I'm selecting all columns and, say, trimming them, why hard code all the column names? It makes code hard to re-use and brittle, which generates a lot of menial code editing overhead.

Instead I would like PQ to try and generate more generic code. I'm sure combining soft coding with code generation is a hard problem, but this would have so much more impact on the productivity of Power Query developers than sinking resources into yet another sentiment…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Time Zone Conversion Accounting for Daylight Savings Time (DST)

We need a way to display data in our local timezone accounting for daylight savings time. The data source stores the dates in UTC but we need reports to show local time. A native and easy way to do this in PowerBI would be a huge help. There are many blog posts and help articles floating around with solutions people have attempted but it's a simple issue that so many users would benefit from having solved centrally by PowerBI itself. Please consider!

191 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable Search box within the Advanced Editor.

When in Advanced Editor in the Power Query Editor, if you pressed Ctrl-F a search box would open to help you find text within it.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow using Dictionaries in PowerQuery for mapping data

As a user I would like in Power Query to be able to map/translate/tranform data based on some defined dictionary.
    For example: in source data I have a column "Subcategory" with many combinations. And in some xls file I have mapped those subcategories on new segments.
    There are a lot of combinations (more than 200) so I cannot do it with conditional column. I my opinion quick way to solve this would be by extending "Add condtional column" functionality and add a possibility to load an dictionary from xls in a predefined format.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Rename query steps without refreshing preview

While renaming query steps (right-click rename OR right-click properties) when you apply the name change, it will re-run the query step. Why? Best practice to rename query steps yet for very large data sets this becomes cumbersome during the queries initial development. Note: I could be missing something valuable that would prevent this, please advise.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add column - Index column, i.e. Table.AddIndexColumn, shall create whole numbers (int) instead of decimal numbers (float)

Currently the Table.AddIndexColumn() functions creates values of type decimal (floats). I see no reason for creating decimal numbers since the incremental steps can't be set to decimal number, nor the initial value can be set to a decimal value:

Table.AddIndexColumn(table as table, newColumnName as text, optional initialValue as nullable number, optional increment as nullable number) as table

The documentation does not say what type the new column will have, but now it's created as decimal number.

The recommendation will be that Microsoft either changes the type of the generated column, or extends the parameter set with a type so we…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Create efficient "development mode" for Query Editor query refreshes

As of August 2019, development of queries with large result sets is painfully slow. It appears this has been a problem for several years. Building power queries is on the critical path and a pre-requisite to data modeling. There also seem to be some defects related to the Power Query implementation in PBI Desktop. Anecdotally, sometimes by cancelling and restarting refreshes, or performing an overlay install of PBI can help queries once "frozen" during a refresh cycle magically return results instantly.

Ideas to remedy Power Query performance:

1) Cache the entirety of "base" queries from which others are "referenced".
    2)…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.