Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power BI Desktop For Mac OS

Please release Power BI Desktop for Macbook. It is not very efficient to work on VMs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Color Change on-click of Each Bar in the chart

Hi, I have created a bar chart with Months in X-axis and amount in Y-axis. By default i have given Grey color for the chart but when i select any month the selected month (bar) has to change to Blue color on selection. Pls advice

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add "Grid" and "Snap-to-Grid" to Model View

Aside from managing relationships between tables, one common use of the Model View is to help visualize your data model. Adding a grid and snap-to-grid (and other visualization functions common to other Office products like make same size, align top, etc.) would be a great help.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Identity Profiles for Power BI Desktop

An increasing number of features are being tied to a user's identity in Power BI Desktop. Live connections to datasets connect to the tenant that is currently logged in. Persistent custom visuals and organizational visuals are tied to it, and even the Most Recently Used list seems to be affected. This gets very confusing for anyone that works with multiple tenants. Opening a direct connected report when currently logged into the wrong tenant is an exercise in futility.

I propose that Power BI Desktop implement the concept of profiles, as seen in Chrome and the new Microsoft Edge. It would…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Formating Date Value

As the given datetime formats in PBI are limited, I built my format using DAX formula. Worked perfectly for me.

But as I started using this new column PBI avoids to sort the values by date and sorts them alphabetically instead .

Datum2 = Format('ana DDatumV'[Datum]; "ddd, dd.MM.yyyy")

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow the shape (line) to go to the edge

Allow the shapes to go to the edge of the canvas. I just want to use the line as a visual horizontal divider but it leaves a space at each side - seems strange this margin can't be removed or what it's purpose is.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add filename to close/save dialog

When using Power BI desktop having multiple files open it is not possible to ensure which windows is being closed.
    The message only shows "Do you want to save your changes?".

An alternative could be to simply add the filename, e.g. "Do you want to save your changes to filename.pbix?".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Power BI Report Builder

Allow Power BI Report Builder to use a proxy server for internet access. Currently, it does not work with a proxy server so the application is unable to get out of a network that restricts access to the internet from desktop applications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Power BI Templates (.pbit) should exclude unused themes

Currently when exporting a Power BI Template (.pbit) file, all of the base themes are included in the file as well, increasing the file size. The built-in "Bloom" theme is over 3Mb alone! Unused themes should be excluded from template files to reduce overhead.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hide all relationship columns in report view (surrogate keys)

I would like an option to hide/show relationship columns in report view. We often use surrogate keys in our relationships in the data warehouse and have to manually hide them from the users manually in each table. It would be great if Power BI automagically hides them all in report view based on a show/hide option. By default it should show the relationship columns and only hide them all if the option is selected. It would save us a lot of time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Connecting to adls gen2 of external AAD

Currently , when connecting to the ADLS GEN2 of the external AAD, the ADLS is searched from the AAD to which the user who is going to connect belongs.So, it cannot connect to the ADLS GEN2 of the external .
    It would be nice to be able to connect to ADLS GEN2 of the external AAD.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Automatically update columns if user makes changes in Excel

If I load an Excel file into PBI, then delete or rename a column in Excel, then refresh PBI, I get an error. In Tableau, if I were to do the same, it would automatically update the data (as long as none of the formulas break as a result). This would save so much time!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Personnalized color selector in powerbi desktop

Default Personnalized color selector is powerBI is limited to 2 dimensions as you can select the color but not the brightness preventing from selecting with the mouse th whole range of color.
    In practice, it is useless as any color selected has 100% brightness which is usually never the case in a report.

Reusing the MS office control for selecting personalized colors would work fine (with a 2 dimensions clickable panel and a cursor for brightness).

Thanks a lot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. improve sorting if SSAS tabular is the database, manual sorting, drag and drop

all the methods to sort by using the "modelling" and then "sort by column" are not available if the database is SSAS tabular. I can't find a way to change the sort order of column headers in a matrix. They are sorted alphabetically by name of elements of the selected attribute.
    Drag and drop for manually sorting should be enabled.
    Sorting by the order of another column should be enabled. In this case special attributes only for sorting could be used.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Custom theme in organization space

It would be a good idea to add a space within the organization for Custom Themes. Since we have branding guidelines, it would be easier for groups within the organization to access the custom format via organization approved themes/space.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Adding a Grouping option to Power Query that is the same as the one in DAX

The Grouping option is a really nice way to quickly create a column in a Table once data is loaded.

It’d be great to have this in Power Query too. In several contexts it is quicker and easier than Conditional Column, eg because you don’t have to type, it’s more visual, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Adding a Grouping option to Power Query that is the same as the one in DAX

The Grouping option is a really nice way to quickly create a column in a Table once data is loaded.

It’d be great to have this in Power Query too. In several contexts it is quicker and easier than Conditional Column, eg because you don’t have to type, it’s more visual, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Publish Reports Directly to the Service with Power BI Desktop

Currently Power BI Desktop works with PBIX files saved to a local file system only. The files can be uploaded or published directly by the Desktop.

Saving to the file on the file system in many cases may be unnecessary, and in some cases even counterproductive. Power BI Desktop should be able to publish directly to the Power BI service without having to first save a file locally. It should also be able to open and edit reports (and data models) directly from the service.

This behaviour would be consistent with Power BI Report Builder.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Automate the power BI .pbix file creation and publish process after first time manually done

In Organisation we have many excel data(for example employee attendance sheet) to publish for business processes. So After first time of creation of this report, every time(Periodically) the same report calculation(Transform, Add column, Add measure) should be done without user intervention.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. The really cool feature should be a built-in debugger for ms power bi much like the built-in debugger of excel

Best if within ms power bi desktop can be equipped with a built-in debugger for ms power bi. This would tremendously enhance the experience of s many, and i am certain that this is going to accelrate the use and enjoyment of ms power bi desktop. I've been using ms power bi since 2015, and it's challengiing to always "test" ideas that you want to try for yourdata visualization. Thus in my humble opinion, this proposed debgger would be a game changer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.