Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. multiple target

I would like to be able to add more than one target line to a visualisation, and also to be able to add variable target lines (e.g. Year on Year or targts that change over time).

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. export custom table

Give the ability to export and input custom table with all fields. This could save a lot of time for date dim tables.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Conditional Formatting table based and not column based

If I refresh the table and new column added I want the formatting on the new cell...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support for user-defined R library

When running SQL 2016 With both R-Services and Microsoft R, I usually download all custom packages to a seprate Library, e.g. c:\rlibs and change the libPath to include this

> .libPaths()
    [1] "c:/Rlibs"
    [2] "C:/Program Files/Microsoft SQL
    Server/130/R_SERVER/library"

R data Source and R Visuals only look at the Library under program files when running and will effectively ignore what I've downloaded to c:\rlibs.

Please add support for custom Library paths to avoid us having to elevate to admin before installing packages into the program files folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve Direct Query Date Time Handling

When using direct query you should be able to change a date axis to show only the month. This works using excel or when doing a transform but neither of these are possible using DirectQuery. Even workarounds like FORMAT can't be used with direct query. This really needs fixing!

336 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Modeling and Advanced Query options in Microsoft Analysis Services Cubes support

Power BI have modeling and advanced query options for SQL Server datasources, but I can not use similar functionality for MS analysis services cube datasources, Do I miss something or this MDX lecel querying and modeling options are not ready for Power BI desktop yet ?

I use, custom column generation and then sort this column using another data column in Power PI modelling feature for SQL server dataset but it is not possible for analysis services cubes datasets.

Any comment or workarounds are apprecciated.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. convert table queries to parameters

Recently introduced Convert Query to Parameter feature is not allowed for all types of queries such as one that returns table. Allow ability to convert those type of queries to parameters.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to move columns around and best fit columns in Data View in PBI Desktop

I would like to see the ability to move columns around in the Data View and best fit columns in the Data View added to PBI Desktop.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Import PowerBI desktop file from Excel

Currently is possible to import model/measures/queries/etc. in an Excel file from PowerBI Desktop file. But not the other way around.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Auto assign data categories

If my column is named "County", automatically assign its Data Category to "County". If it's named "Postal Code", assign it "Postal Code" etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Terminalserver with Citrix Xenapp and Administration

Citrix:
    We want to user Power BI Desktop in a Citrix XenApp Terminal Server Environment. In our Test we found a Problem with Power BI Desktop. The Cache of Power BI Desktop ist located in Appdata local on the local Systemdrive. This is a Major Problem because the System Drive is read only. Every Write Operation will be forwarded in a Citrix Cache. If this Cache overload the Citrix Server will hang up.
    It should be possible to configure the Path to the Cache Location.

Global Administration of Application Options:
    It is possible to configure two Options via Registry. In…

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow drag and drop movement from Visual Level Filters to Page Level Filters to Report Level Filters

I typically build up visuals, create visual level filters, then add additional visuals to a report. After creating the filters at the visual level, I realize that I would like to apply them more broadly to the page level (or report level). I would like to be able to drag and drop them onto the page level or report level filters instead of recreating them. We are used to this functionality with the drag and drop interaction with fields and visuals properties. Let's extend this to the filters as well.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Maintain data colors in PBI Desktop on to PBI Online

I have noticed that data colors quite often change from what was defaulted or actively selected and set in the Desktop, compared to what users see online.
    This is unfortunate as you may have purpose selected a particular color scheme for a product, a service, a segment or the like.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. fields

I'm building up a large number of fields in a model that we publish to the company. It would be helpful if we could include some comments as a fly out of what the field does/measures/calculates so users can better understand what the purpose of the field is.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Power Bi publishing and datasource

1. Can we publish multiple reports created using Power BI desktop in one go to power BI?

2. Can we programmatically change the data set of a published report in power BI? We have multiple customers working with multiple databases but the same template.

3. Can we publish the reports to specific folders within the Reports section in power Bi? For example inside the reports section I need reports for hr, reports for finance etc and if it can be created how can I access those folders and he reports within it using my app.

4. Does power BI support drilled down tables similar…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Power BI Desktop publish as "Data Model Only with Refresh from Power BI Service"

As a user I would like an option to upload a pbix file as a model only.
    This option should only appear for eligible datasets.

All pbix files published to the Power BI Service currently include the model and all the data. In my experience, this means much time wasted watching the dots spin while the desktop app completes the publish task. It doesn't work like this on SSAS tabular.

This is not an efficient use of bandwidth or my local machine.

For cloud-borne data (eg. Azure Sql database) my preference is to be able to choose a "Upload model…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Extend multi part url to other connectors

Power bi desktop May update had support for multi-part url in web connector. Extend this functionality to other online based connectors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. A centralised mechanism to grab additional driver dependencies for chosen database engine, and auto updater for each.

When you try choosing a desired database database source, for the client to pull the required dependencies automatically and bring them up to date whenever an update is available.

This could support any future supported database engines to be added as and when they come available.

At the moment, the deployment and uptake of this client tool from a user point of view, on mass would be a monumental task and would increase the uptake of the service dramatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.