Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hope the transition animation of Power BI Desktop is more smooth

The transition animation of desktop version is relatively stiff, I hope it can be as smooth as Microsoft Office.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Measure in legend

Normally there can only be one field used as a legend in a graph.
    Using a slicer to select which field you want to use as legend, one can write a measure that selects the field to use as legend based on selected value in the slicer

When it would be possible to add that Measure in legend, one can switch from one legend to an other

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Column Header Tooltips for Tables and Matrixs

I would like to see a feature that would enable me as a developer to add a definition to column headers in tables and matrixs so users can get a description of the column and how it is calculated.

This would work best from a users perspective by a pop-up/tooltip appearing when hovering over the column header only.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. change detection with Import Mode

With April 2020 update, we have Change Detection feature for only Direct Query reports. However, it will be extremely helpful to have it for Import mode reports too. So, if I have a report on my premium capacity that refreshes every 30 mins, I can instead set it to use "Change Detection" and refresh only when it detects a change in data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Save Button

There should be a Save button on the Home screen, home tab itself to make saving easier., instead of pulling save from the big File menu.
    of course ctrl+s is there, still...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Protect .PBIX with password

Allow to protect a pbix file with a password.

197 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add tooltips for decomposition tree

Please add tooltips to the fabulous decomp tree visual.

For example, I have a chart that shows a measure of cycle time. THe decomp visual does a great job at allowing the users to drill into what's driving that number, but often times there maybe a very low volume item that is significantly driving the measure. I don't care if a product has a really long cycle time if it's not material in the overall calculation.

Specifically, looking at median measures. I need to understand the volume of each item. An easy way to do this is via a tooltip.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Page Color (Excel Page Color)

Excel Page Color

in Power BI Page Color

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Synced text boxes

It will be great if we can sync text boxes like we sync slicers. At times text boxes are used as banners across multiple pages in a report. At the moment, either each of them need to be updated manually, or a Measure needs to be written.
    If syncing is enabled this would be a nice trick.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Power BI Desktop : page name changing dynamically with the text in the text box.

If the pagename changes in the Power BI Desktop, the visual title should change too in a dynamical way without the need to change the title manually.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. page navigation

Page navigation button is a welcome update in the March-2020 release, but it will be even better to allow the page navigation option under Type in the actions for any image used as a button.
    This will clearly help in using this feature as intended converting already created bookmarks and buttons designed the "old" way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Reuse custom Power Query functions

In many pbix files I reuse the same custom made M-functions.

Today I can only do so by opening an existing pbix file which contains that code and then manually copy/paste that query in my new pbix.

Please add the ability to save custom M functions to reuse in other pbix using the User Interface. Similar to a personal (or online) version of AppSource for the custom visuals, but then for custom M functions.

This can improve consistency in data transformations, speed of development, empower others in your organisation to reuse your code.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Keep banded row style when changing field formatting background in matrix

When using the "Field formatting" section for a matrix, changing the background color of a field changes it for every row - even when the rest of the matrix is "banded style" or "alternating colors". This can be desirable in many cases.

But what I would LOVE is if you could change a field's background and alternating background, to keep the banded style while still distinguishing that column from the others.

I've also had someone suggest that adding a transparency setting to the color setting, that would then overlay the existing background, would do the trick!

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Change Dataset

Before i upload my reports, based on a specific dataset, since i have changed the dataset (measures, field names, queries, etc), there could be an option to change dataset for the old power bi desktop files, and then i'll just make the needed changes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Automatic page refresh for datasets from PBI Sevice

The (preview) feature "Automatic page refresh" for DirectQuery in PBI Desktop is really great.

Please implement this feature for live connections to datasets in the PBI Service aswell.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable radio button single support on filter pane similar to slicers

Currently, there is an option "Require single select" on every filter card.
    However, the user can still select the "Clear filter" icon to clear all slicers
    What's needed is a real single select option similar to the one currently present in slicers, where it switches to a radio button mode, and one option must always be selected (i.e., user cannot unselect all the options

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Replace fields in field well

At the moment you can only add or remove fields from the field well. When you have a chart with formatting configured on a field and you want to use a different field you can only add the new field and then you have to re-apply all the formatting. It would be great if you could drag and drop the new field on top of an existing field and preserve the formatting.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Undo deleted DAX

If I delete a DAX column or measure, there's no option to undo. That's a serious oversight. Why wouldn't users want to undo that sometimes?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. change picture option

mimic functionality that exists in PowerPoint. This will allow a change of a picture within PowerBI Desktop and maintain all attributes (including selection and bookmark settings) of existing picture/image.

I have embedded instructional manual as a picture on each page of a dashboard and whenever there is a change to the manual I have to change out the picture which requires a ton of changes to the bookmarks and selection panes.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Composite models when connected to SAP Business Warehouse (BW)

Composite Models can really be a game changer for many scenarios. Unfortunately the two most used datasources in our org (SSAS+SAP BW) are NOT supported to be used in composite models.

So the idea is to add SAP BW as supported source for composite models (like it is already possible with HANA sources in relational mode).

Related Idea: Composite models when connected to SSAS Tabular https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34922932-composite-models-when-connected-to-sql-server-anal

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.