Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Field pane should indicate which items are used in filters

When you select a Power BI visual the Fields pane shows ticks for all the items used in that visual. However, it doesn't show where a Visual level Filter is applied, so it's not the full story. Ideally it should also flag Page Level and Report level filters that are impacting that visual

https://twitter.com/wynhopkins/status/1219465449798172672?s=20

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow hiding or customizing count of rows display in Filters pane

When value is added to Filters pane, Power BI automatically displays count of rows for each value. Please allow hiding this count or adding customized count.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow rotation on text boxes

Text box should have an option to configure rotation ( ex. 90 degrees for vertical text)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow to fully hide the ribbon in (the new UI of) Power BI Desktop

I like the new ribbon experience (and I am getting faster and faster in finding the stuff I need :-) ).

Unfortunately I did not discover a way to fully hide the ribbon. This is possible in all Office applications I know and is also possible with the "old" UI. I like to have as much space available as possible for the report.
    Double-clicking a menu item did not lead to the desired effect.

(The little icon on the right end of the ribbon only allows to minimize the buttons, but not to fully hide the ribbon.)
    Did I miss…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. There should be option to enable or disable the x/y axis lable concatenation when using drill down in clustered bar chart visual.

There should be option to enable or disable the x/y axis lable concatenation occurring when using drill down or hierarchy in clustered bar chart visual.As we have option available in cluster column chart visual to on/off x axis concatenation.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Scroll wheel functionality in the ribbon

Allow the scroll wheel to change ribbon tabs when hovering over the ribbon (like it does in other MSO applications and it does in the PowerBI Query editor)
    Especially since the Quick Access toolbar can't be edited, I end up changing ribbon tabs all the time. The scroll wheel is a much nicer way to change tabs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Edit Interactions to include Filter Pane

Expand the Edit Interactions functionality to include the new Filter Pane Visual/Page/Report filters.

eg I would be able to pre-filter the values for just the Page Level Filters from a slicer.

Currently, no visuals affect the Filter Pane items. So this would be a big improvement in usability for the Filter Pane.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Connecting to adls gen2 of external AAD

Currently , when connecting to the ADLS GEN2 of the external AAD, the ADLS is searched from the AAD to which the user who is going to connect belongs.So, it cannot connect to the ADLS GEN2 of the external .
    It would be nice to be able to connect to ADLS GEN2 of the external AAD.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Organization Approved Themes

Now that themes are out of preview and the Product Team has included themes in the Desktop tool the next thing to add to this is to have a section for organization approved themes. Since many companies have branding guidelines this would be an easy way for admins to load these themes and allow end users to pick from them to create consistency.

288 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Eraser for Search in Slicer gone if Header hidden

if you turn off the Header for a slicer with text in the field, the eraser vanishes from the Search box so there is no way to clear it. Turning on Titles doesn't fix it either. You must leave the Header on.

Seems like a bug.

440 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Custom theme in organization space

It would be a good idea to add a space within the organization for Custom Themes. Since we have branding guidelines, it would be easier for groups within the organization to access the custom format via organization approved themes/space.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Matrix formatting

I was excited last year when expression based formatting was announced, but there seems to have been little update on this over the last few months.
    This is important for financial reporting where we need rows with different number formats/bold/italics/borders. All possible with dimension columns telling the visual how to behave.
    I know about the profitbase visual and it is fantastic, but it would be good for lots of reasons if tables and matrixes had this functionality as core ms matrix functionality. This could then be applied to non accounting matrixes as well.
    So idea is expand on formatting options…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option to Remove Horizontal Scroll bar and shrink the bar to fit the visual, just like excel bar graph

Option to Remove Horizontal Scroll bar and shrink the bar to fit the visual, just like excel bar graph, so that we can see the entire tail spend in one visual.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Adjust Xpos, Y-pos, Height and Width right from the ribbon formatting pane

It would be real handy if we could adjust X pos, Y pos, height, and width right from the ribbon as per this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/InsightsMachine/status/1235700978613014529

(This would be better than what PowerPoint and Excel give - they don't allow you to adjust X pos and Y pos right from the ribbon)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Tooltip Option for Radar Chart Visual

I have imported the default Microsoft Radar Chart into my report. However, it does not include the Tooltip option, and as such, not able to customise the Tooltip report for this visual.

May I request that this feature is included in this visualization!

More description here:
    https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Radar-Chart-Can-you-please-include-Tooltip-Option/m-p/1091583#M505569

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. A friendly python console in query editor

Could be really good to have a console to try pyhton code and see the results in the query editor to see if my code is running well in some step i did of my query editor.

Sometimes I need to do things that M is not so friendly like calculate diferences between specific days hours, etc, but embeding a python script in the middle of the steps of power query is no easy and unfriendly.

Maybe for the future replace query language M for python.

Vote if you like this idea! :D

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make the 60 day free trial license open to general users

The Power BI product owner and BA need to understand all the sytem requirments with respect to the environment. I'm referring to the impact of COVID 19 on the workforce. People are looosing their jobs and are spending their time do home based training to improve their marketability when returning to the workforce. Also, these unemployed people do NOT have access to their workplace email addresses for obvious reasons - security.

In my case, I'm a disabled citizen returning to work force in the government. I'm doing some training in BI and BA to improve skill sets when the federal…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Why do I have to have a business email to download the free trial?

I am unemployed and would like to learn something that will help me find a new job. I don't need anything in depth.
    Could you please help me out?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Refresh Metrics to Performance Analyzer

It would be extremely useful if the new Performance Analyzer recorded metrics about what is going on during a report Refresh. We could really use some insight on what's happening during:
    - 'Evaluating...'
    - 'Creating connection in model...'
    - 'Waiting for other queries...'
    - 'Loading data to model...'

How long are queries taking to Evaluate or Load? What 'other queries' are you waiting on? Why is Evaluating taking so long?

Refresh performance is by far our biggest bottleneck and it's very difficult to analyze so this would be a very welcome addition.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Export Bookmarks

It would be usefull if i could export all the current bookmarks into a new .pbix. Like the theme export with the .json file.
    Today i have to redo every bookmark...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.