Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. improve performance of desktop

I'm tired of waiting and seeing "Working On It" after nearly every click in PowerBI desktop. It takes forever to create dax formulas and change them and to move objects around in folders.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Customize Ribbon in Desktop (not Query Editor)

Enable creation of custom groups within the Home Tab of the Ribbon. Allow users to remove certain icons and groups from the ribbon. This is available in Excel, and my Home tab is highly customized so that 95% of the icons I use are available in one place.

I'm always flipping between the Modeling tab to format a measure, and then back to the Home tab to enter Query Editor.

There are some icons that I've never used, and would like to replace them with more often used functions.

Why not allow both to be on the same tab?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Unable to see Imported JSOn theme in the switch theme option

I have imported custom JSON theme and unable to see the theme
    in the switch theme choices.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add imported theme to "Switch Theme" menu

The September 2018 desktop release made Switch Theme generally available. With it you can import a custom theme from a .json file.

Once imported, the imported theme become active, but, even though there is a theme Name in the .json file, the new theme name is not added to the menu of choices and there is no indication that the theme with that name is now active.

Please add imported themes to the menu and do something to highlight which theme is currently active.

85 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Clickable tooltips on hover

During the first TripleA event with Amanda for Power BI I submitted a feature request question that got quite a few quick kudos. The feature was to have clickable tooltips on hover as well as resizing of the tooltip features. What the response was is that it's a fairly large task for the dev team to make that work and the PBI team would need some good use cases and reasons for this feature enhancement.

The reason for this is mainly because of a few of the hiccups we've experienced in the product.

1. There are quite a few limitations in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Template Generator

It will be helpful if PowerBi can support the functionality that I can create a page as a template and duplicate another 3 pages based on the "template page" with different filter (i.e. department). Then any changes I made on the "template page" will be automatically applied to the other 3 pages so that I don'

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add a Clear Filters button in Table Tools Ribbon

Now that we have contextual ribbon tabs, in the data view we need the Clear Filters button like Excel. One click to remove all filters.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Display sum of column in line and stacked column combo chart

Add option to display the sum of column as only the sums of column series are shown. Showing the total sum as line values is not an option when already using this for a different dataset.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. FutureProofing for Known Header Changes - Power Query

Scenario:

While I am building a report, I determine that a field name needs to change at the source in a SQL server, but still need to move forward with my current report. I send a note to the dev group to make that change, but still rename it for now in the query. Unfortunately, when the dev team fixes it upstream, my report will then break - at some point in the future.

Ask: If a header name change made in an applied step is then reflected upstream [same name as the query attempts to change it to] then…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Auto expand of formula bar

When I'm in the report function designing my dashboards, it annoys the bleep out of me that each time when I click on a custom table/ custom column the formula bar expands by default. 9 out of 10 times I'm not even interested in the formula bar.

Would be nice if there is a function to disable the formula bar in Report or open it by default as 1 visible line?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Preview mode in Power BI Desktop

Like Forms or Power Apps give the possibility to see the result in Power BI Desqktop when the report will be published in Power BI Apps

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Year filter locate on current year and month filter locate on current month on report open

So I'm asking that the year filter locate on current year and for the month filter to locate on current month. ie, it may be 17 Dec 2019 but the date hierarchies of year, quarter, month will locate to their current date values on report open.
    The user is free then to select a discrete month of say "September" when it is now December. In Tableau this is referred to as setting the filter to "latest date on workbook open".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Trash for measure

Hi!, I think it will be useful to create a bin where you can throw away the measures you don't want to recover them if necessary.

Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. ((WhatsApp:+44 7459 812790)) Get Pte certificate in INDIA Real Ielts Band 7.5 Germany Ielts Band 9 USA Buy NEBOSH certificate Kuwait.

((WhatsApp:+44 7459 812790)) You Have Problems in getting the required scores in Ielts,PMP,Toefl, Pte, Gmat,
    Gre, Nebosh,PMP, SAT,Esol, Toiec, Oet, ACT, GED, Usmle, Psat, lsat, Celban, FCE, CAE,CPE, BEC, Fle, Tesol,
    without exams/test???
    Email (pmpcert2019@gmail.com)
    At our association we can help you obtain/get/buy/request/order/Purchase/order/apply the original/
    registered/legit/real/certified/verify/authentic/genuine ielts,PMP, toelf, gmat, gre, pte, nebosh, esol,
    toeic, celta/delta certificate of all this test without taking/attending/writing the exam/test.
    We are a group of Teachers and Examiners Working in various centers like British council, IDP centers,
    Ets, Gmat Etc... and we have teamed up to form a wide organisation with the sole interest…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Tabs management (Improvement) - Color, Index, Grouping, Hidding, Export

My models have too many tabs (using the same datasets) and would love to have more features to help we handle it.
    Coloring Tabs, Index of tabs to move them up down, Grouping the many tabs (Hide/unhinde). Exporting the tab names so we can make a index outside BI.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Hide column header in Visual Table and Matrix

Sometimes its needed to hide column header in Visual Table and Matrix and show only Grid without any headers

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. IntelliSense Should Use Best Practice Column and Measure Naming Conventions

There is a clearly defined and accepted best practice for referencing columns and measures in the DAX language.

1. Column names should ALWAYS reference the table name.
      TableName[Column Name]

2. Measures should NEVER reference the table name.
      [Measure Name]

This is a fundamental concept accepted by everyone with knowledge of the DAX language (everyone I know anyway).

IntelliSense in DAX sometimes follows this convention and sometimes it does not. I have created a short video (40 seconds) showing 3 examples. https://youtu.be/CvaRhKrnHRk

There are other places where column names are appended to measure names too, such as inside Quick Measures, and I have…

336 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Using between for numeric slicers and want to restrict values entered into the textboxes to whole numbers

Using between for numeric slicers and want to restrict values entered into the textboxes to whole numbers

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. conditional formating for column header

conditional format column header especially for dynamic date column for instance

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Power BI desktop aggregate the stream data every [X] number

Just like if my stream data displayed every 1 second, and in Power BI I would like to see the data every 5 second, the value could be aggregated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.