Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power BI Desktop should use the currently logged in account credentials for dataflow connections

When connecting to a dataflow in Power BI Desktop, the connection is cached like all other connections. Each connection persists the relevant tokens for their sources. However, when persisting a SQL connection, each database is cached separately, so different credentials can be used with different databases.

However, dataflows will only store the last connection to a dataflow, which makes connecting to dataflows in multiple tenants an arduous process of changeing the data connect options.

Also confusing is the fact that the account switcher control is unrelated to the dataflow credentials, leading to situations where publish shows one set of workspaces,…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. group pages

Allow grouping pages in PBI Desktop, something like icons in Windows Taskbar

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add "Filters on visuals in this group" section to the Filters pane

I'd love to be able to assign a group to the Filters pane, as per this tweet: https://twitter.com/InsightsMachine/status/1218272628424577025

Basically, you could have a whole bunch of visuals in a group, and then have a "Filters on a group" option so you could assign one filter on say "Region" to all visuals in the group, rather than individually.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow tooltip to visually identify which series has triggered it

Tooltips are a great interactive feature, but if you have a visual with a field in Legend, then it can be hard to determine quickly which item in the tooltip list corresponds to which point on a visual.

It would be real handy to have the series name in a tooltip visually indicate that this is the series that the user is hovering over. (Or perhaps has filtered on)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add read-only property to all editable controls

Please add a "Read Only" property to all editable controls (visuals, filter panes/panels, text boxes, buttons, etc.) with a default setting of False. If a report developer sets this to True for any control, it means that control cannot be edited when report is viewed in the service or in an embedded application; it can only be changed from within Power BI Desktop (i.e. only by the report developer). If you want to offer more flexibility, then call it a "Read Only Level" property, with "0" as default (meaning the control can be edited, just like it acts now), and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make possible to "Manage interactions" as we use the "Manage relationships"

It would be very helpfull if we could have an option to manage all the interactions, as we have the button "Manage Relationships" on the "Modeling" Tab.

Sometimes when we have many visuals, it gets hard to track all the interacions we have set. Besides being difficult to click on some objects, when the buttons to turn on/ turn off the filtering overlap each other.

Thanks in advance!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Time format [hh]:mm:ss

Please insert the format [hh]:mm:ssFor times that can be summed up

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow "continous" axis option for an axis even if it contains text.

Charts that use a numerical field on the X axis allow you to change the axis type from 'Categorical' to 'Continuous', meaning you can see ALL the data in one go, without having to scroll. Tooltips give all the information pertinent to the x axis for a point on hover over.

Unfortunately this option isn't available for a text-based axis, such as Customer Name or Country...and this is problematic if you want to be able to get a handle on the distribution of a text field by some ranked numerical measure. Or put another way, you have no way of…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. power bi desktop update count down

It would be great to have a countdown clock for the new update to be released! so we can now when to expect new great functions

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Right-click on a table in relationship/ model view and jump directly to that table in data view

In Power Pivot it is possible to jump directly to the data view of a table in the relationship/ model view by right-clicking on it. This is extremely useful and saves a lot of time when dealing with large models. Please add this feature to Power BI Desktop. It will increase productivity with this tool in a simple way. THANKS

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. DAX formula with filters

When I create a formula with filters, I want to be able to retrieve the DAX of the formula.
    The goal is to save time in the construction of complex formulas and to be able to use this formula in more complex formulas.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. improve performance of desktop

I'm tired of waiting and seeing "Working On It" after nearly every click in PowerBI desktop. It takes forever to create dax formulas and change them and to move objects around in folders.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Slicer "Clear Selection" icon color attribute

I'd like to see the ability to set the color of the eraser icon (clear selection) in a slicer header to something different than the default grey.

When you use a dark color background (let's say Dark Green) with light color font (let's say medium Orange), it's very difficult for users to see the default grey eraser and clear their selections.

If some of the color setting attributes that were just added to visual headers could be brought to the Slicer header I belive the issue would be resolved.

129 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Customize Ribbon in Desktop (not Query Editor)

Enable creation of custom groups within the Home Tab of the Ribbon. Allow users to remove certain icons and groups from the ribbon. This is available in Excel, and my Home tab is highly customized so that 95% of the icons I use are available in one place.

I'm always flipping between the Modeling tab to format a measure, and then back to the Home tab to enter Query Editor.

There are some icons that I've never used, and would like to replace them with more often used functions.

Why not allow both to be on the same tab?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Unable to see Imported JSOn theme in the switch theme option

I have imported custom JSON theme and unable to see the theme
    in the switch theme choices.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Clickable tooltips on hover

During the first TripleA event with Amanda for Power BI I submitted a feature request question that got quite a few quick kudos. The feature was to have clickable tooltips on hover as well as resizing of the tooltip features. What the response was is that it's a fairly large task for the dev team to make that work and the PBI team would need some good use cases and reasons for this feature enhancement.

The reason for this is mainly because of a few of the hiccups we've experienced in the product.

1. There are quite a few limitations in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add imported theme to "Switch Theme" menu

The September 2018 desktop release made Switch Theme generally available. With it you can import a custom theme from a .json file.

Once imported, the imported theme become active, but, even though there is a theme Name in the .json file, the new theme name is not added to the menu of choices and there is no indication that the theme with that name is now active.

Please add imported themes to the menu and do something to highlight which theme is currently active.

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Template Generator

It will be helpful if PowerBi can support the functionality that I can create a page as a template and duplicate another 3 pages based on the "template page" with different filter (i.e. department). Then any changes I made on the "template page" will be automatically applied to the other 3 pages so that I don'

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a Clear Filters button in Table Tools Ribbon

Now that we have contextual ribbon tabs, in the data view we need the Clear Filters button like Excel. One click to remove all filters.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Display sum of column in line and stacked column combo chart

Add option to display the sum of column as only the sums of column series are shown. Showing the total sum as line values is not an option when already using this for a different dataset.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.