Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ensure that pop-ups from report page tooltips don't display off-canvas

Currently pop-ups from report page tooltips aren't constrained by the canvas edges, and as a result may bleed off the edge.

The app should ensure that Report Page Tooltips are displayed in their entirety.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow rotation on text boxes

Text box should have an option to configure rotation ( ex. 90 degrees for vertical text)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow to order Fields Pane by original column order

When you query into Power BI the columns stay in order for the data view. However, the Fields Pane sorts the column titles (headers) alphabetically. This is slightly problematic as it creates inconsistencies in how the data is organized. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if things would all stay sorted the same way.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Composite models when connected to SAP Business Warehouse (BW)

Composite Models can really be a game changer for many scenarios. Unfortunately the two most used datasources in our org (SSAS+SAP BW) are NOT supported to be used in composite models.

So the idea is to add SAP BW as supported source for composite models (like it is already possible with HANA sources in relational mode).

Related Idea: Composite models when connected to SSAS Tabular https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34922932-composite-models-when-connected-to-sql-server-anal

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Power BI Desktop - Tear Away Development Windows

I suspect that many of us today have multiple monitors and/or large monitors. To make better use of the screen area during Power BI Development....

The development panes such as Fields, Visualisations, Selection, Sync Slicers, Field Properties should be able to be "torn away" and freely move to another screen... and/or allowed to float over the work area. This should also include a separate window pane for DAX code.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Hierarchical Axis Improvements

When a date field is used as the x-axis in a bar chart (in a hierarchy format, with concatenate labels turned off), I can click the "Expand all down one level in the hierarchy" drilling button to drill down into the hierarchy, and all items at the next level are grouped nicely into their parent labels, as shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1kTTQARvVs

It would be great if this functionality extended to other hierarchies as well, and not just dates.

Currently, we can add categorical fields to a bar chart and then add a date hierarchy at the very end and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Merge 2 PowerBI Files

Be able to merge 2 PowerBI files into 1. Not just copy and paste visual by visual.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ability to insert a line break in the title of visuals

I need to insert a line break in the title of visuals. Unfortunately in the edit box to enter the title text neiter Alt + 0013 nor Alt + 0010 nor a combination of both works for inserting a line break at a well defined position of the title text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Cutomise table refresh sequence

This idea is to customize the sequence in which the tables are refreshed in desktop version.

Example: I have 7 tables in my report. And it refreshes the tables based on ascending order in which tables were first imported. I would like to have the first 4 tables refreshed the usual way and then jump on to the 7th table and then 5th, 6th.

Why this idea? The reason I ask this is because I have a table created for the refresh timestamp. I want this table to be refreshed at the end after all the tables are refreshed so…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. dashed line, dotted line, line thickness

Please add line format pane that allows for selecting to insert dotted or dashed line.

Currently, all the most common line adjustments are only for lines that are part of line charts, not for lines inserted as a shape.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. (Real) Dual axis charts

It would be nice to be able to create dual axis charts and not the combo chart, to be able to drop more than one value on an axis and synchronize those axes. It would also be good to be able to control the type of mark in this instance so you could have one bar and one hash mark. Stephen Few would be happy cause we could create bullet charts (yeah those custom visuals really don't work and have bugs)

198 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bulk creation of measures in PBI Desktop

The ability to create/edit measures in bulk for different fields is required.The ability to bulk creation would not just be a time-saver, but would help refine all Reports.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Have a presentation mode for Power BI like Powerpoint

Have a presentation mode for Power BI like Powerpoint so you can show someone your ideas

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Automatically resize all visuals in a report with even spacing

Would it be possible to specify the amount of white space around each and all visuals on a page, and then click a button and have all visuals automatically resize so that the spacing between them is even?

The current red guide lines that appear when trying to line up visuals are often not exact enough to perfectly align visuals with even spacing without using the “General” section of the visual formatting pane. Specifying the amount of space between visuals has to currently be done on a visual by visual basis which is very cumbersome and time consuming.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Power Query - Close Without Applying Changes

There should be an option to close the Power Query editor window and discard any changes made. You can do this in Power Query for Excel, but not in Power BI for some reason. In Power BI, your apply changes options are 'Yes' or 'Not Now' but there is no option to 'Discard'.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Report page tooltip on all objects

New report page tooltip preview feature in the March update is great.

Would be nice if we had the option of adding this tooltip to visuals that previously didn't have a tooltip.

For example, I have a card visual. I'd like users to get one of these mini report pages pop-up when they hover over it but as this visual doesn't have a tooltip it can't be used.

Would be great if we can do this on other things like shapes and text boxes as well.

539 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since the initial release, we added support for table, matrix, and cards.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-2018-feature-summary/#tableTooltips

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-september-2018-feature-summary/#tooltips

I’ll leave this idea open for now since there are some requests for shapes, textboxes, and buttons, but it would be helpful if people can comment on their use cases for report page tooltips on these non-visual report elements.

17. Allow users to set Data Label font size to below 8pt

Why can't I make my #PowerBI data-lables smaller than 8pt? Why? I have a 4k monitor, and good eyes. I have tool-tips for folk with less good eyes and lessor monitors. I have very limited space, and lots of stories to tell on it. I have the ability to print to high-resolution PDF. I have a note signed by Edward Tufte saying it's okay.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Automatically change tooltip page view to actual size

When changing a Page to a Tooltip via Page Information it would be great if the Page View then automatically defaulted to actual size rather than fit to Page.
    Would save a couple of clicks and avoid scaring new users with massive visuals.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add option to view by both Value AND Percent of total to decomposition tree visual

In the new decomposition tree visual you can either show your value OR select show as Percent of grand total.

It would be great if you could select to show the value of your metric AND/OR Percent of grand total AND/OR Percent of Parent node level .

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. group pages

Allow grouping pages in PBI Desktop, something like icons in Windows Taskbar

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.