Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reset to default button should work even for clicking the on visual

The 'Reset to Default' on service should work even for clicking the bars or other visuals. When we click any bar charts or maps and it filter other visual but if need to reset, clicking this 'Reset to default' does not work in this case. We have to click outside the bar or visual and its confusing. Why dont they make it work in this case as well? When a user accidentally clicks on report page visual we should be able to reset.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to "Smooth Lines in Combo/Line Charts

This option has been available in Excel

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Adding Comments

In a PBI report published on the PowerBI Server we can add comments. However I have always felt that the functionality of comments should be attached to a Bookmark rather than a report. A bookmark is really the'view' which I am seeing and sharing and on which I could like others to know of my thoughts.

Urging MS to add the functionality of adding comments to Bookmarks on the PowerBI service also asap.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dynamic scaling of the numbers in table/Matrix

It would be great to have the ability to change the numbers/measures dynamically same as like charts.

Rightnow we can Display Units either T,M,B,T but Auto option is not available.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add the option to have 2 legends on the standard "Map" visual

On the "map" visual you are only able to add one legend which is a color legend. Often times you need two legends. Several other BI tools like Tableau provide the option to have a legend based on "Shapes" and a legend based on "color". For example. If I want to make all points on my map of people that are born in the USA a circle, born in Mexico a Square, and born in "other" a star. Then have another legend that shows those older than 25 green and those younger than 25 red. This would make the maps…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add the ability to pass a parameter from the report into a query to select the data specific to the end user

Give us the ability to pass parameters from the Power BI Report. The End User (aka Customer) needs to be able to select a value and have a table returned specific to that value. Using relationships is not always the right answer when working with multiple tables and multiple datasets. Passing parameters from the "Edit Queries" menu only works for developers and not users.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Download report template (.pbit) from Power BI Service

It takes a lot of time to download report with large dataset. For ex. 750MB of data can take 5 more hours to be downloaded, or if it is distributed team then some members are not able to download report at all to modify. In case if you don't have empty (.pbix) file or template (.pbit) it's a trouble ... is it possible to add download template feature from the Power BI Report online?

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Search tab in SAP HANA

Add Search option while adding new items from SAP HANA database in Edit Query mode.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Matrix: conditional formatting per row in matrix

Currently, conditional formatting in matrix is based on all values of the matrix. I am looking forward to have it based on individual rows (a feature already available in Excel)

Consider having monthly data (column) which you want to track for multiple categories (rows). But the categories have completely different values (i.e. some rows with $10 on average and some rows with $1000 on average).
    By applying conditional formatting per row, you can track trends/behaviour per individual category.

Now the row with the highest values ($1000 row in above example) will typically steal all the highlights, and not allow you…

159 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Conditional Formatting for new measures

Conditional Formatting does not apply on newly created measures. It would be great if conditional formatting applies to lot of other visuals like Text box.

My new measure gave a number and I had to put it in a text box in black color without the ability to show a color change on the number based on the goal. I tried putting it in a table and matrix but conditional formatting has frozen my new measure columns

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. You can never select multiple buttons! If you don't believe it, try it yourself!

You can never select multiple buttons because when you press Ctrl + mouse click two buttons, you will "click" that button. Please fix it as soon as possible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Exporting Power Bi to PDF only appears to export the default view

When exporting to PDF if you want PDF with diffent cuts of the information - using the filters, the report only appears to create the PDF based on the Default filter settings

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Feature for Automatically updating Power BI Desktop

When ever updates are available let us opt in or opt out. So power bi desktop can download and install the latest update when ever available.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hyperlink Action for Button object

Our company has a "Help" document that we keep in SharePoint and link to in each of our reports. The newer BUTTONS object as three actions, and I propose adding "Open hyperlink" as a fourth. This would allow our users to link to our training documents, or to documents that support the data in the visual/report.

Microsoft: Please consider adding an Open Hyperlink action to buttons. Thanks.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fixed height or Dockable DAX Editor

Use case:
    1) I want to see the code/formulas of measures and columns and so I expand the DAX editor;
    2) I click on the measure/column to check the formula, and then click another measure/column, and so on... many times.

Bad: every time I click on another column/measure the interface (dax editor) jumps up and down, so that it feels like everything's crashing down or freezing or whatever... That is absolutely distracting UX.

Good: it would be much better user experience if the Power BI interface were more 'stable', allowing the user to focus on the code. For example, let…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow Model Authors to Create Hidden Bookmarks (Not Shown to End Users)

Often as a model author, I like to create Bookmarks for key scenarios. I might need them to debug or recreate filters. Or if multiple authors working on the model, this can be used for easily discussing specific issues.

It would be really useful, for authors to be able to define bookmarks and then mark them as Hidden from End User.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Focus Mode - Resize text on table and matrix

It would be nice to automatically resize the characters in tables and matrices in focus mode as is the case with the graphic elements.

If I create a table or matrix with font size 10, when I click on focus mode the table does not expand to full screen and the characters remain small

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Dark Mode for Power BI

Having a dark mode especially on the creator UI when putting things together would be helpful, similar to other MSFT apps (Azure, Office 2016, etc).

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Set colour of object based on value of another column

I would like to easily set the colour of an object (Card value, shape, text etc.) based on the value of a column (existing or calculated). The column could hold a hex colour code, pre-populated from my data source.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Integrate VS Code for Power Query Advanced Editor

Visual Studio Code (VS Code) has an extension for Power Query M Language.

Please updated Power BI Desktop so when I click on Advanced Editor button it will pop up VS Code to edit the M code.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.