Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to rename (sub/grand) "Total" and move the totals to the beginning or end of the visual

1. Power BI should allow users to rename the sub total/grand total names.

This ability can provide the end users to understand at a glance what the total actually represnts rather than looking into other details.

1. Matrix/table visuals should be flexible enough to move the totals to beginning or end of the values section.

This helps in most cases where the end users want a "Total and breakdown" kind of structure, like for example, totals by Fiscal year in the beginning and break down by quarter

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show and edit selected measure in Table Model view

It would be very handy to be able to select and edit the measure in formula row in the Table Model view. You often need to see all the relationships in place when authoring more sophisticated measures.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Desktop Installer command line options incl silent install

The MSI installer supports command line switches such as silent install (eg msiexec.exe ... /passive ACCEPT_EULA=1).

With the announced end-of-life of the MSI, the only option is to use the EXE installer that doesn't currently support options. Installation thus is user interactive unless re-packaged.

Please supply an installer that can work silently.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Distinct count vs Count Viz Pane Difference

In the visualization pane in Power BI desktop, when you select a qualitative field to be Count of field, the name says "Count of [field]". When you select Count (Distinct), the name still says "Count of [field]".

This can make it difficult to catch a reversion/change to the selection. It can also cause new developers on a report to make assumptions about the data unless they check the dropdown on every field in every visual.

Can we have the Viz Pane display "Distinct Count of [field]" when Count(Distinct) is selected so that the selection is explicitly stated and easily understandable?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Drill-down/Drill-up to specific level in the hierarchy

As of today if there are ten levels in hierarchy and if user wants to see data at the lowest level of hierarchy, ten clicks are needed to achieve that. User has to click on "Go to the next level in the hierarchy" option multiple times to reach the lowest level in the hierarchy or click on "Drill up" option multiple times to come back to the Top level. If there is an option to "Go to Level" and then we get an option to select a level from all the levels present in the hierarchy it would make it…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Conditional Formatting for Text

It would be great to conditional format a table and/or a matrix based on the cell text, not only numbers

1,879 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

106 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. change picture option

mimic functionality that exists in PowerPoint. This will allow a change of a picture within PowerBI Desktop and maintain all attributes (including selection and bookmark settings) of existing picture/image.

I have embedded instructional manual as a picture on each page of a dashboard and whenever there is a change to the manual I have to change out the picture which requires a ton of changes to the bookmarks and selection panes.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. show pages based on the logged in user

In a Power BI report, hide or show certain pages based on the logged in user.

Maybe use user roles.

This makes it possible to use the same report for several profiles.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix Mouse Up bug in Power BI Desktop

There's an incredibly frustrating bug with the mouse-up and focus behavior in Power BI Desktop, specifically concerning the measure editor.

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Select a measure from your model and open up the editor dropdown window so that it overlaps your canvas.
    2) Click on a visual on your canvas. You should see the selection border come up.
    3) Now, highlight text in your editor using the mouse. Make sure that when you finish your selection, that you mouse-up inside the editor dropdown. Press the <delete> key. Your text gets deleted as you expect.

Now repeat steps 1, 2,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow hiding or customizing count of rows display in Filters pane

When value is added to Filters pane, Power BI automatically displays count of rows for each value. Please allow hiding this count or adding customized count.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add tooltips for decomposition tree

Please add tooltips to the fabulous decomp tree visual.

For example, I have a chart that shows a measure of cycle time. THe decomp visual does a great job at allowing the users to drill into what's driving that number, but often times there maybe a very low volume item that is significantly driving the measure. I don't care if a product has a really long cycle time if it's not material in the overall calculation.

Specifically, looking at median measures. I need to understand the volume of each item. An easy way to do this is via a tooltip.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow Power BI Desktop to Create Perspectives (Similar to Power Pivot, SSAS)

Perspectives are an incredibly useful feature for complex models for end-users. For a complex model, there can be 50+ Tables with 100s of Columns and Measures (sometimes 1000+). This can be overwhelming for a new user who would connect to the Data Model to create their own reports (either using Power BI or Excel).

Adding the ability to create Perspectives in Power BI Desktop (similar to Power Pivot, SSAS) would be a big help.

Perspectives allow end-users to connect to a "slice" of the Model, making it easier to understand and work with. Thus aiding with the widespread adoption and…

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Visuals: Add/remove individual item(s) to/from the selected Group. (NOT MERGE)

Currently you can merge two groups of items on the canvas, but you can't add/remove items that aren't already grouped from a current group.

If I group say 10 items, and later want to add another single item, I currently have to ungroup, then regroup. I would like to select an item and the group I want it in, and click "Add to Group".

Discussion on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/InsightsMachine/status/1221612755553157120

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to show/hide visual level filter in Filter Pane with fewer clicks

Currently the Filter Pane includes a filter in the "Filter on this visual" for every visual included in a report by default. It is very time consuming to go to each report, click on every visual and then set the hide option for each visual level filter on the Filter Pane.

The ability for the developer to show/hide visual level filter items from the Filter Pane with fewer clicks would be ideal.

This could be accomplished by adding an option to the popup when you click the … next to "Filters on this visual" and list it with "Filter pane"…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Disable auto calculation of measures in desktop

I would like the ability to temporarily disable the calculation of measures in PowerBI Desktop, something like the manual calculation option in Excel. I have large data models with dozens of measures each, and when I create a new measure it takes a long time to do. The more measures I add, the longer it takes.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Column Header Tooltips for Tables and Matrixs

I would like to see a feature that would enable me as a developer to add a definition to column headers in tables and matrixs so users can get a description of the column and how it is calculated.

This would work best from a users perspective by a pop-up/tooltip appearing when hovering over the column header only.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Automatic version Updates each month!!!!!!!

How about the desktop app has an option to enable automatic updating each month rather than manually downloading monthly?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Automatic page refresh for datasets from PBI Sevice

The (preview) feature "Automatic page refresh" for DirectQuery in PBI Desktop is really great.

Please implement this feature for live connections to datasets in the PBI Service aswell.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Save Button back to PBI Desktop

Please add the Save button back to the title bar or the Home menu...why would you go from an easy 1 click save to forcing me to click twice.

I really don't get why it was removed from the title bar.....Save, Undo, Redo are in the title bars of Excel, Word, PowerPoint....I thought this was supposed to be more like Office?

Mike

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Click and Drag to Select Multiple Objects and Allow Nudge

Similar to the other Microsoft products, it'd be great if we could click and drag the mouse to select multiple object on a page. Then, once multiple are selected, allow us to nudge them with the arrow keys all at the same time. Right now, we have to click one at a time and nudge one at a time. Oftentimes, I have many items I've already spent time aligning and then I need to nudge them and I have to do it one at a time.

242 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.