Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add imported theme to "Switch Theme" menu

The September 2018 desktop release made Switch Theme generally available. With it you can import a custom theme from a .json file.

Once imported, the imported theme become active, but, even though there is a theme Name in the .json file, the new theme name is not added to the menu of choices and there is no indication that the theme with that name is now active.

Please add imported themes to the menu and do something to highlight which theme is currently active.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Open local files (file://) directly by click on url link as with (http://)

Currently open a local file from Desktop is not possible and from browser is very tedious as explained on May 2017 update:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/#urlTables

"If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab"

It will be great if can be improved the way to open the files in same way as with web images or files (http://).

168 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Power BI Desktop should use the currently logged in account credentials for dataflow connections

When connecting to a dataflow in Power BI Desktop, the connection is cached like all other connections. Each connection persists the relevant tokens for their sources. However, when persisting a SQL connection, each database is cached separately, so different credentials can be used with different databases.

However, dataflows will only store the last connection to a dataflow, which makes connecting to dataflows in multiple tenants an arduous process of changeing the data connect options.

Also confusing is the fact that the account switcher control is unrelated to the dataflow credentials, leading to situations where publish shows one set of workspaces,…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Set format properties on new filter pane for all pages of a report in PBID with Custom Themes

Use Custom Theme Json file settings to set new Filter Pane format properties.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tabs management (Improvement) - Color, Index, Grouping, Hidding, Export

My models have too many tabs (using the same datasets) and would love to have more features to help we handle it.
    Coloring Tabs, Index of tabs to move them up down, Grouping the many tabs (Hide/unhinde). Exporting the tab names so we can make a index outside BI.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. full screen in desktop mode

Enable full-screen mode when working on power bi desktop. Pretty often I need to display the current page in power bi desktop mode (without sync the page to office 365) and there is a space limit, some of the visualizations are small and unreadable.

157 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. New Filter Pane (Preview)

Hi
    Most of these suggestions are based on the current use of Slicer and what needs to be done to use the new filter pane instead of slicers

1. Ability to change the header of each filter: Currently the head of the slicer is based on the field name, would be good to rename the header instead of renaming the field

2. Ability to sort: A good example will be a filter with date, where the current filter is sorted ascending by default

Thanks

Nishant

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Back-button feature to clear selected drillthrough filter value

As drillthrough function we use a filter and we give value for it from other report page. I click back-button and it will take me back to where I was before. In the background filter value stays unchanged. I use drillthrough function again. Filter value changes and I see visuals filtered with that value. I use back-button again. I navigate to that report page manually and to my surprice value selected in prev step is still selected. I know that I can open my filter selections and clear selected value but I'd like to do is to start exploring my…

514 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Multi or Dual y-axis/scale Line Chart

Please provide Multi or Dual y-axis/scale Line Chart visual functionality.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Workday function to become available

Enable the use of workday function from Excel. This is a very useful function which enables the calculation of projected TATs vs targets.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

In May 2017 Power BI Desktop started supporting creation of DAX measures when working in live connect mode to an external SSAS model: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

Vote on this idea if you want support for calculated measures against multidimensional models too.

1,342 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

127 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Power BI PDF export per Bookmark

I like the new PDF export function of Power BI desktop, but i would like more to extend this with bookmark support, to export every bookmark as one PDF page!
    So one report could be reuses with different parameter especially when building bigger documents

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. custom image on button

Buttons would be much more useful if we could add a custom icon/image to them. The current choices of arrows, reset, help, Q&A, etc. are too limited.

Thanks,

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Load custom Theme (JSON file) by default at launch

I have a JSON file with a theme that I apply to most of my reports. Right now I have to import it anew every time I launch Power BI or create a new file. It would be great if it was possible to direct Power BI Desktop to load that custom file by default at at launch

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Filter Pane Text Size

Hi,

In the April 2019 Feature Summary, it states "To maintain proportion between the report page and the filter pane, the new filter pane will now scale with the report page and visuals."

That's good, but the report pages/visuals are adjustable, while it appears that the Filter Text size is not adjustable. The width of the filter pane can be adjusted, but the size of the text does not update with it.

Please consider the width of the Filter Pane and adjust the size of the filter text accordingly.

Thanks!
    Nathan Peterson

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "Apply slicers to all pages of a report" needs to include custom visuals

In the "Allows Slicers to apply to all Pages of a Report" request, Microsoft resolved the issue only for built in slicers. Need this functionality to work for ALL slicers, both built in and custom.

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make Desktop available through Microsoft Update (for versions of Windows before Windows 10)

In September 2017 we announced that Power BI Desktop is available through the Windows Store, giving automatic updates: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-at-ignite-2017-announcing-enterprise-ready-capabilities-for-establishing-data-culture-at-scale/

If you're not able to update to Windows 10, vote for this idea so that Power BI Desktop can be made available through Microsoft Update to older versions of Windows.

333 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. postgres

Live link connect to postgres

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Relative Date filter week Mon-Sun

the Relative Date filter options for the calendar week goes from sunday through saterday.

Most companies I know, go from Monday through Sunday. Please give us the option to choose in the filter, or set it though the localization.

534 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

84 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. import column description

Can you add a way to import table and column descriptions to models?

If you provide some API, we can create custom tools to load it from different sources like - descriptions in SQL Server, other dbs, modeling tools, custom Excel table and so on.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.