Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power BI Desktop - Tear Away Development Windows

I suspect that many of us today have multiple monitors and/or large monitors. To make better use of the screen area during Power BI Development....

The development panes such as Fields, Visualisations, Selection, Sync Slicers, Field Properties should be able to be "torn away" and freely move to another screen... and/or allowed to float over the work area. This should also include a separate window pane for DAX code.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Deleting/copying/moving mutliple pages at once

Allow for deletion/movement/selection of multiple pages at once, as you are able to in Excel. This is critical on reports that need to be revamped.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. IntelliSense Should Use Best Practice Column and Measure Naming Conventions

There is a clearly defined and accepted best practice for referencing columns and measures in the DAX language.

1. Column names should ALWAYS reference the table name.
    TableName[Column Name]
    2. Measures should NEVER reference the table name.
    [Measure Name]

This is a fundamental concept accepted by everyone with knowledge of the DAX language (everyone I know anyway).

IntelliSense in DAX sometimes follows this convention and sometimes it does not. I have created a short video (40 seconds) showing 3 examples. https://youtu.be/CvaRhKrnHRk

There are other places where column names are appended to measure names too, such as inside Quick Measures, and…

329 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Text Direction Property for visuals and pages

Currenty it seems like all texts in a PBIX file are defined as LTR.
    It will be very useful to have the control over the Text Direction property.
    It will be really great to have this control dynamicly - Let's say there's a multi-language report where the X axis on a bar chart has company names in mix language that has different desired Text Direction properties.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Direct query option with SQL queries for IBM DB2 Database(Mainframe)

Enable SQL queries in Direct query mode, currently the option is not working

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to show/hide visual level filter in Filter Pane with fewer clicks

Currently the Filter Pane includes a filter in the "Filter on this visual" for every visual included in a report by default. It is very time consuming to go to each report, click on every visual and then set the hide option for each visual level filter on the Filter Pane.

The ability for the developer to show/hide visual level filter items from the Filter Pane with fewer clicks would be ideal.
    This could be accomplished by adding an option to the popup when you click the … next to "Filters on this visual" and list it with "Filter pane"…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve Relationship Drag and Drop Experience

In Power Pivot for Excel, when you drag and drop columns to create relationships, there experience is:
    1. Click and drag source column
    2. Hover over destination table
    3. The receiving column on the destination table is highlighted to indicate which column will receive the join.

In Power BI Desktop, item 3 above is missing. It makes it ambiguous how the join will be made (and a poor user experience). Please add a visual confirmation to the user which column will receive the join during drag and drop.

445 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. disable auto time intelligence

Make the "Auto Time Intelligence" feature a global option that can be turned off for all subsequent PBIX files.

198 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Copy a whole page including formatting from one PBIX to another.

To be able to right click on a report page within a PBIX and select 'copy' and then enter a different PBIX and then paste that report page. Similar to what you are currently able to do in Excel. Ideally all the settings / formatting would also be copied from PBIX to PBIX.
    Though it great that your able to copy a visual from PBIX to PBIX it needs to go a step further. This would save a lot of report developing time and could be used in a number of ways.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Cross filtering on multiple (custom) visuals

Achieve cross filtering on multiple visuals (in addition to slicer ) in Power BI. After applying of additional filtering on one of the visual it would not reset already applied filtering on other visuals.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Slicer "Clear Selection" icon color attribute

I'd like to see the ability to set the color of the eraser icon (clear selection) in a slicer header to something different than the default grey.

When you use a dark color background (let's say Dark Green) with light color font (let's say medium Orange), it's very difficult for users to see the default grey eraser and clear their selections.

If some of the color setting attributes that were just added to visual headers could be brought to the Slicer header I belive the issue would be resolved.

96 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support Display Folders for Table Objects

Support Display Folders for Table Objects and not just columns

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Implement Power BI on Mac

Implement Power BI, and Office extensions on Mac OS

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Customize Ribbon in Desktop (not Query Editor)

Enable creation of custom groups within the Home Tab of the Ribbon. Allow users to remove certain icons and groups from the ribbon. This is available in Excel, and my Home tab is highly customized so that 95% of the icons I use are available in one place.

I'm always flipping between the Modeling tab to format a measure, and then back to the Home tab to enter Query Editor.

There are some icons that I've never used, and would like to replace them with more often used functions.

Why not allow both to be on the same tab?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Power BI Desktop should use the currently logged in account credentials for dataflow connections

When connecting to a dataflow in Power BI Desktop, the connection is cached like all other connections. Each connection persists the relevant tokens for their sources. However, when persisting a SQL connection, each database is cached separately, so different credentials can be used with different databases.

However, dataflows will only store the last connection to a dataflow, which makes connecting to dataflows in multiple tenants an arduous process of changeing the data connect options.

Also confusing is the fact that the account switcher control is unrelated to the dataflow credentials, leading to situations where publish shows one set of workspaces,…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Export PowerBI Desktop report to pdf, word, powerpoint

Export PowerBI Desktop report to pdf, word, powerpoint

310 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add imported theme to "Switch Theme" menu

The September 2018 desktop release made Switch Theme generally available. With it you can import a custom theme from a .json file.

Once imported, the imported theme become active, but, even though there is a theme Name in the .json file, the new theme name is not added to the menu of choices and there is no indication that the theme with that name is now active.

Please add imported themes to the menu and do something to highlight which theme is currently active.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Load custom Theme (JSON file) by default at launch

I have a JSON file with a theme that I apply to most of my reports. Right now I have to import it anew every time I launch Power BI or create a new file. It would be great if it was possible to direct Power BI Desktop to load that custom file by default at at launch

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Grouping visuals in the selection pane like in the bookmark pane

Recently the bookmark pane got updated with the ability to group bookmarks together. I'd really like to have such a feature for the visuals in the selection pane as well. This allows users to quickly toggle the visibility of a group of visuals.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. dashed line, dotted line, line thickness

Please add line format pane that allows for selecting to insert dotted or dashed line.

Currently, all the most common line adjustments are only for lines that are part of line charts, not for lines inserted as a shape.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.