Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show field usage in charts history

I would like to know if a field is being used in any charts and where they are being used.

This helps when I'm modifying the field and need to account for all the scenarios that the field is used in.

Also, when I want to delete the field, I would like to first know if it's still being used. I can currently work around this by deleting the field and see which charts show an error. Works, but not ideal.

Some ideas are:
    -show count of charts that field is being used in; where zero would mean that field…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was

Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Expression on column

There should be some way to add expression on table or matrix column like as SSRS

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add Labels to Fields, Format, and Analytics to Help New Users & Presentations

With the launch of the Analytics pane, the Fields and Format icons also were refreshed. Unfortunately, placing core functionality in unlabeled 25x25 pixel icons adds to the perception that Power BI is unintuitive for new users.

As a more experienced user, I know where to click for Format options. New users often have no clue. They learn quickly enough with training, but it can often be frustrating until they catch on. In presentations or demos, no one has the ability except the presenter to explore the UI and hover over icons, etc.

PBI Desktop is not a mobile app. There's…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Can we have an option to import multiple Power BI Visuals onto the Power Bi Desktop at one go?

For Power BI Visuals, we need to import one Visual at a time. However, it will be good to enable multiple Visual import from our Visual gallery (can be stored on the Local HDD or on the Network Drive) at one single click.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Color Change! Line and Clustered Bar Chart X-axis

There's no option for X-axis or Y-axis color changes on this type of chart!

Other charts have this option, and grey is not ideal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Last state of menus retained when changing focus

Would be nice if the roll up menus in the Design area stayed as they were (ie. last state) when changing focus to another object/visualisation. if you're trying to compare settings or quickly flick between two objects you have to keep clicking the down-arrow to re-open the design parameter/category each time you change object focus.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Mouse over format options to see preview changes before committing them

Would like to be able to roll-over the design options with the mouse to preview formatting changes before committing them.. saves time doing & undoing formatting options when you aren't sure what they are how they're going to appear. Good if not quite sure what you're looking for, or want to quickly assess the options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. WHEN I USED POWER BI DESKTOP MY SYSTEM HAVE GOING ON HANG CONDITION .THIS CONDITION IS OCCUR AT EVERY TIME WHEN I AM OPEN THE POWER BI DESK

WHEN I USED POWER BI DESKTOP MY SYSTEM HAVE GOING ON HANG CONDITION .THIS CONDITION IS OCCUR AT EVERY TIME WHEN I AM OPEN THE POWER BI DESKTOP.
    WHAT IS THE MAIN ISSUE BEHIND THIS

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Rename/Sort fields at visual level, with possibility to return to original name/sort

Allow users to rename fields (axis, legend) at visual level, with possibility to return to original name.

Allow users to custom sort (not also ASC or DESC) moving fields in the way they want, with possibility to return to original configuration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Dynamic Filter Selection based upon logged in user.

Is there any way (Using DAX) to determine that the user is XYZ and not ZYX and set filters automatically based upon that.

So if I am from region A I should get reports filtered based upon region A and so on.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Connecting to Power BI Data Set from PBIX

We need Connector Like Analyse in Excel in the PBIX file, this way we can connect to multiple computers from the service (Enterprise Gateway) and be able to refresh it from the PBIX.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Broadcast network powerbi desktop

It would be nice to broadcast the network for searching (SQL) datasourses, for an example see the powerpivot functionality.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Template Inheritance

When managing several dashboards that have the similar data (but from different sources) it would be great to be able to update a 'master' or 'parent' dashboard that could deploy changes (new charts, DAX queries to all of its children. Currently if I want to make changes to a common template I have to go into each .pbix file and make the same changes.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Color coding should me initiated depending on the comparison of two data.

Hi All,
    I have to suggest that there should me one more area of concern for Power BI Team they should start working on color coding i.e.
    if we have to compare two data and we are attaining profit then our graph should show Green Color and If we are facing loss than graph should automatically turns to Red and so on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Disable icon for creatig new Office 365 Groups when user is not in granted rights in Azure AD security group

When a security group in Azure Active Directory is configured for the creation of Office 365 groups, the icon in PowerBi for creating new groups should be invisible, so that the form the create new Office 365 Groups does not appear. Now you get an error (Something went wrong.) only after having entered all data and clicked on "save". In Outlook you already have no "+"-icon anymore, when a user does not have the rights to create a new Office 365 Group.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hide groups from the Sidebar

I have groups that will NEVER use Power BI. I don't want to see them on the sidebar.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Minimize button should always work.

In Power BI Desktop, you cannot minimize the window while a report is being published. This is because a task modal box prevents you from interacting with PBI Desktop.

It seems like you should be able to minimize PBI Desktop while a report is being published.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. ADD "last" and "first" to the new filter when a date is shown

the new date filter give a date range but it would be great if it could just filter for the first or the last date

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.