Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create Work space option from Power BI Desktop while publishing a report

Sometimes, we have not opened our Power BI Online while publishing a report from Power BI desktop.
    When we publish a report from Power BI desktop, it provides an option to choose work space for publishing our report.
    It's good if you provide an option create a new work space as well while user publish a report.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Border for Areas Marked in Synoptic Design

While we design reports in Power BI, It should provide option to format the Borders of Areas marked in the Synoptic Designer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. connection string

Allow organizations to save connection strings within a PBI desktop client tool, so that those connection strings are readily available for employees to utilize

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Push Back Measures from PowerBI to SSAS

With one of our customers we have a scenario where the SSAS Tabular Model is done and PowerBI dashboards have been created. Now superusers want to add measures themselves, and to the Report Level measures come into play. This has been a very useful feature.

However if a Super user creates a measure which another superuser wants to use and viceversa, it would be nice if such measures could be pushed back into SSAS Tabular so that all can take advantage.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add funnel/filter icon to the new insert buttons toolbox

show/hide slicers is one of my favorite uses for bookmarks. would be great to have a built in icon for that use case.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. we can set “Don’t summarize” for the field after the DAX calculation or the calculated Ratio field

For the Measure Cloum we can set “Don’t summarize” in the Report Design. But we can’t set “Don’t summarize” for the field after the DAX calculation or the calculated Ratio field.
    Ex : Summarize “cumulative achievement rate”filed, I can set “Don’t summarize”in the total column or the value can be null in the total column.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Resize the visualization area

If you add lots (and lots and lots) of visualisations ( 20 ) to the visualizations tab (or blade) [via import custom visuals] the Filters are moved down the screen (as expected). If you expand the tab, the visualizations move around (as expected) and take up less hieght (and more width) but Filters do not move up the screen, they are fixed. (I really need to add a screen shot). It would be good if the filters dynamically moved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Grey out DATA tab when using Direct Query (instead of removing it entirely)

When connecting to an SQL server using Direct Query, the 'Data' tab between 'Report' and 'Relationships' is removed entirely. This confuses users. Instead, "grey out" the 'Data' tab and add a tooltip on hover which explains why there is no data view.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Are there any options to generate a data source file with only meta data like .tds(Tableau Data Source)?

We are trying to migrate the tableau reports into Power BI by converting the Tableau metadata into Power BI.

Any possibilities there to generate a file with data source only from .PBIX file?

Note: .tds(Tableau Data Source) will have only metadata.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PowerQuery Editor: Mark affected columns for a selected step

Switching between steps should select the affected column(s) and bring the column(s) into the visible area.

E.g. Replace values for a column during 10 steps. Then I like to have the affected column marked and bring into view. Especially helpful for a set with many columns

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Align visual within box

I'd like to customise where the visual appears in it's box. For example, by default the matrix visualisation appears in the top left of the box and will expand down/right. to take up more of the visualisation space.

I think it would be good to have an option of where you want to place the visual within its box like you do on text boxes in Excel.

E.g. dead centre, centre top, centre left, bottom right, etc.

This way I can place a table knowing it will always be stuck to the right edge of where I place it and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. copy table and chart in outlook

Hi,
    On Many Occasions we need to make a quick copy of chart and table from PowerBI Desktop into Outlook for users who does not have access to PowerBI. We can do it in excel and I thinks this would be a really handy feature for PowerBI as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Data Model View: Provide List of Tables Drop Down (to find tables)

When viewing the data model in PBI Desktop it shows a visual layout of all the tables which is great. However, there is no way to go directly to a table. Please provide a drop down list of all tables so you can select one directly instead of trying to find one by browsing the entire model visually.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dynamic plot area image for the visuals!

Since the sync slicer is there, how about implementing dynamic plot area for the visual background?
    I created multiple sales reports for different companies which I could do it in one with the slicer but back then, slicer sync was not there and set the plot area image with the company logo. Now I was thinking of using the sync and merging all report to the single one but in that case, I have to drop the plot area images since those are static images but from the tables.
    Weird idea but worth the shot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Notification after updates have been installed

When Power BI Desktop has been updated by the Windows Store there is no indication that you have the most up-to-date version. It would be great to see a pop-up the first time you open Power BI Desktop after the update happens so that you know you have new features.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Relathionships: Possibility to Align and Change relathionship lines color

Dears:

I would like to suggest to have the possibility to align Tables, on Relathionship workspace as you can do on Report view.

It would be great to be able to change the colors of relathionships connections, to allow new user to easily understand how the connections are made.
    on big models, this could be an asset.

Thank you for your time!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Better default visualisations when measures are added to the canvas

As a user, I regularly add a measure which outputs text to the canvas as the first step of creating a visualisation. When I do this, Power BI Desktop adds a blank visualisation with the measure. It's actually a column chart but since there is only one data field added it's still a large white box with a title.

It would be a better user experience if the default was a Card visualisation. By default I would see the value of the unfiltered measure. I could argue that even if the measure outputs a numeric value, the card is still…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. GPO for Auto Recovery location

User PowerBi Desktop Auto Recovery location is stored in the user profile, C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip

In the settings.xml (Type="AutoRecoveryDirectory"...)

All the settings should be managed via GPO to allow central management and it should support the use of variable in the registry for the recovery location.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add buttons , URL links and embedded attached file

Add buttons to help users make a home page to switch between tabs in an easy way, URL links and embedded attached file

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Dynamic visuals via DAX

I need to be able to change visuals by DAX.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.