Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show Power BI on Win 10 Task Bar of Extended Display.

Display the Power BI Desktop icon in the second taskbar when using two displays in extended mode.

Currently the Edit Query app will display on the taskbar but the PBI Desktop app icon does not. You have to use Task View to switch focus to that app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Format X-Axis to enable a basis category to plot the difference

When formatting the X-Axis in a Chart using Desktop, it would be great have an option that enables the user to select one of the X-Axis categories as a 'Basis Value'. The chart would then automatically plot the difference between the other categories and the category selected as the Basis. e.g instead of plotting a value of 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50, the chart would show -20, -10, +10, +20, if the category that had the value of 30 was set as the Basis category, if the category that had the value of 40 was set as the Basis,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. filter

When setting up visual, page or report level filters, it would be great to be able to see the whole list of data. For example, we want to set up new employees on our Power BI ready for their start date. At this point in time, they have no data against them so they do not appear in the list. We currently have to wait until they begin to gain data to be able to add them to Power BI which is not ideal as the time we can do this varies for different types of data.

A work around…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. search bar for filter

HI, I just want to post an idea of having a search bar for filters. For example if we have a filter with multiple selections then we must be able to type the initial letters to narrow down instead of scroll down all the way to select a specific selection.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Desktop Page

Please improve the Desktop page.It's not flexible.We have to adjust manually when we have multiple visuals and need to place them side by side as if it looks like a single visual. It's very poor when compared to any other tool in the market.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Customization of Phone Layout feature

Currently, I am unable to use this feature because it doesn't have the capability to expand the layout space. I have found that all of my visuals can't be added to to be clearly shown in the phone layout view, as they would need to be resized fairly small.

I suggest adding the ability to customize the phone layout grid space to allow for better use of this feature.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. filtered data import dynamically

Power BI desktop has an option to filter data in its Query Editor by clicking the drop down of a data column. But, sometimes, I want to filter import data based on a function. For example, I want to import only YTD records. Today, there is no way to support such dynamic filtering. It would be great to be able to have dynamic import data filtering.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When connection to mysql fail

Please permit to edit creditentials and damn not only mysql database name

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make button - reverse changes. Please.

Make button reverse changes. Please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Open up the classes

The classes of the application can be opened up to the developers so that they can make changes and manipulate them according to their liking.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Select All in preview Matrix/Table visual

Would be nice to have a "Select All" option in the Matrix and Table Preview visual. It's useful when you are using javascript/angular, to extract the data with the "Dataselected" event.

Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Default filter "basic" rather than "advanced"

We find we use the "basic" filtering option far more than the "advanced" filter option in Desktop. It would be great if we could customize to have the default be "basic," instead of having to change on every visual.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. As new updates are released, I find myself going back and updating dozens of Power BI Desktop files (like when the new dropdown filters beca

As new updates are released, I find myself going back and updating dozens of Power BI Desktop files (like when the new dropdown filters became available or when a new custom visual is available). It would save us a HUGE amount of time if we could copy & paste visuals between desktop files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Change the Frame Color of the Query Editor so it can be distinguished in ALT-TAB Preview

When working with multiple PBIX files, say to compare why a Query is working in one Model but not a new version, and having both Desktops and Query Editors for both files open, you cannot easily discern which is the Desktop and the Query Editor using ALT-TAB which offers a small preview of the Application Window. Changing the Frame Color of the Query Editor, or other significant distinguishing visual will help keyboard control switching between windows. After all, PBI is VISUAL.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add or Change the name of a Power BI Ideas category specific to the UI/UX

If Desktop is the place for UI/UX improvements, call that out in the Category title. Change it from Desktop to "Desktop-UI/UX"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make it easier to move pages in Power BI desktop

Duplicating a page is easy, but it's often inconvenient that the duplicated page is inserted as the last page. It's difficult to move the page to where you want to place it,especially of your Power BI file contains many pages. Duplicated pages should appear right next to the original page, and not at the end. Alternatively, you should be able to right click a page and give it a new index number directly instead of beinf forced to drag-and-drop the new page to the desired position.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Version of PowerBI Desktop

Its simple but in the powerbi web site, where you download Power BI Desktop, should indicate the version you are about to download, and in power bi desktop should also indicate the version. We, the begginers sometimes are lost in that matter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Color Saturation by default for all visualizations

Hi Team,

Can we get the Color Saturation option by default for all the visualizations.Currently i don't see them for Table and Matrix.Conditional formatting is available but those are divergent.We cant get fixed colors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show DAX Option in any chart

In any chart contextual menu, have a "Show DAX" option that show all of the DAX queries executed behind the scene for that chart. This is most important in some situation when there are many filters set. For SSAS live-connected situations, I actually use the SQL Server Profiler to get it. I consider this a developer feature that should be activated in PBI Desktop Options menu when you need.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When using the modeling ribbon, do not automatically close ribbon after one change

In order to format a measure, I go to the Modeling ribbon in Power BI Desktop. I make a change, such as choosing "Currency General," and the ribbon collapses. But I want to make another change - no decimals. I have to click on the Modeling ribbon again to make the change. Gets old quick when creating many formatted measures. Seems like it would be simple to fix. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.