Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,586 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

340 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

You can now try the January 2017 Technical Preview: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/01/17/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-services-january-2017-technical-preview-now-available/.

Also:
      - We plan to release a production-ready version in the next SQL Server release wave. (As previously clarified, we won’t be releasing it in a Service Pack, Cumulative Update, or other form of update for SSRS 2016.)
      - We’re targeting availability in mid-2017 for the production-ready version.
      - A few more FAQs in this blog post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/12/16/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-services-feedback-on-the-technical-preview/.

• can i sign in with my personal email login?

can i sign in with my MS outlook login?

1,671 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

462 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Power BI Lite License

Power BI should have a Lite License for people that only consume dashboards or reports every now and then. This is for people that don't create reports but need to see the dashboards and may need to use the "report level" to be able to export output to PowerPoint (since you can't export the dashboard to PowerPoint but can only do it at Report level).

755 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Create an read-only and external license tier

Power BI is a great tool for those that need to analyze data, but not all users are equal in their knowledge of PowerPivot, Excel or the underlying data sources. Some users just want to see and act on data. In the current model, users have to have a PowerBI license to even see a report.

So, instead of building or buying a separate visualization layer to go over SSAS or SSRS, why not make PowerView extensible? Give me a very economical or even free limited user tier that can only consume web reports, but no Excel access. You can…

432 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  26 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Power BI Global Admin

As an IT administrator I need a way to see all content (datasets, reports, dashboards) that has been created and shared across the entire online tenant. This is needed to be able to support content after employees leave the organization as well as to support our SOX auditing practices.

360 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We currently have a Power BI Admin Portal with some features such as a usage report and a ways to currently turn some features such as publishing to web on and off for your tenant. We are working on expanding the admin portal with even more functionality soon!

If you are looking for specific features, make sure to vote on those ideas. Here are a few you might be interested in:
              – Power BI Admin (instead of O365 Admin): https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200/suggestions/7628832
              – Auditing Capabilities: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200/suggestions/13279371

• Enable Power Query Excel add-in for Mac/Apple/iOS

Even though worldwide mac user adoption is 8% (close to 94 million users) - there are a lot of data scientist and data analyst who use excel on mac and hardly anyone knows about Power BI! I think the best way to introduce them to this amazing world is via enabling Power Query in excel for them and most of influence million dollar analytics tools budget on a regular basis which would help accelerate the Power BI growth!

326 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  48 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Enterprise-level licensing

If you won't allow non-pro users to view pro content, there should be an enterprise-level option that allows our company to pay more up front so that all users can view pro content. We have too many users to buy pro licenses for everyone. We are trying to become data-driven but will not be able to do so without a better pricing option.

125 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• identify power bi pro content

Whenever Power BI warns that "this dashboard has Power BI Pro content", provide a link to describe specifically what Pro content is included in the dashboard. For example, is it pro content because it's in a group workspace, or is it pro content because it's a direct query connection to an on-premise data source, etc.

107 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide an official Short Name for Power Query Formula Language (Informally known as "M")

I have posted this question to StackOverflow and appears that a short name for Power Query Formula Language that is not 'M' does not exist.

Power Query Formula Language is too long

M is too short

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35076031/is-there-a-short-name-for-power-query-formula-language-informally-known-as-m

We have discussed this on Twitter and there are good ideas. Thought I would post it here to make it official :)

94 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Share a Pro dashboard with a standard user - Need for different license point (IE Pro Viewer?)

Right now, If I use PowerBI desktop to create a dataset, report and dashboard. I am not able to share it with a standard user. This effectively means that we have to either licence everyone as a pro (very expensive for 4k people), or not use the pro features at all (which isn't what we want).
                      Pro users should be able to build and schedule the PowerBI, and then be able to share with any company user using AD security groups. 
                      Without these options the tool may not be a viable option...

related to:
                      https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/suggestions/9072742-share-a-pro-dashboard-with-a-standard-user?tracking_code=e704472108697b7b8e11e54687a10e32

77 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Please FIX/REVIEW your recent changes to the PRO licensing pricing structure

Power BI Team,

Your recent changes/fixes to PRO licensing pricing has caused widespread concern and discussion amongst the community. This is due to Microsoft no longer allowing end users/consumers to access Power BI workgroup reports & dashboards. Reports were suddenly inaccessible in organisations that had built Power BI frameworks over the past 2 years. Your new structure now forces these companies to purchase PRO licenses for ALL users regardless of whether they use it or not.

Unfortunately, Power BI is now the most expensive BI product for large organisations, whom I believe are your primary customers.

The community has not…

54 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Share with security group: should be a free feature

I would really appreciate if the ability to share with AD security groups were a free feature instead of a pro feature. This is core functionality that would make the integration with SharePoint much easier from an administrator point of view. We have many users asking if they can link to or embed dashboards on their team sites, and it would be really nice if I could link view access for the dashboard to the same AD permission group we are using for site access.
                          I realize embedding is not ready yet, but I think the security group access is…

36 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Create a User License or Add Functioanlity to Sharepoint

Right now the only way I can share dashboards through content packs with coworkers is if they have a pro license. There should be a "User" license or we should have the ability to publish dashboards in SharePoint. I would think that most users just need to use dashboards not actually create or edit them.

36 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Paid Power BI Desktop pro

We want a paid non throttled Power BI Desktop Pro edition
                              With the following features
                              1- Printing.
                              2- Official support for analyse in Excel: only in a local Computer.
                              3-Capability to generate a password protected pbix file, any PowerBI desktop user can open the file, but they can see only the reports not the data model, only a pro user with the correct password can unlock the file, so at least we can use pbix as a way to securely share reports.

That’s all, Microsoft can make it as a subscription product, I think there is a market for that,…

35 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Two factor authentication

Enable two factor auth for powerbi login. Added security level when running outside of an integrated AD scenario

33 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• If a Pro feature is being used, highlight which feature it is.

If a dashboard has a pro feature activated, its difficult to know which feature it is. Most of the time it ends up being that multiple refreshes per day have been configured by accident, but highlighting the pro feature in place would help us know why its pro.

24 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• javascript

Release PowerBI as Open Source Javascript Lib
                                    I would love seing Microsoft releasing the Javascript library redering the graphs as Open Source to be used in plain web-apps.

23 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • MS-BI

Hi :
                                      At present there are a lot of components in the MS-BI stack which we use, many of them in a disjointed manner. For example there is the SQL Server stack of ssis, ssas, ssrs. then there is office excel with pivot, powerpivot and powerview. Now there is PowerBI.

We use all these components to cobble together a solution. We see it as MSBI, however I get a feeling that inside Microsoft there are different products, and therefore all of them do not get an 'integrated' focus. For example my suggestion on connectivity to SAP got a review that…

20 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow creation of free accounts by synching with Azure AD

We have quite a few users that we will want to sign up for our organization. Instead of requiring each individual go to the Power BI website and create their own free account and then have us assign rights to each user, it would be a lot easier if we could select a group(s) from Azure AD to automatically create Power BI free accounts for and then we can assign the permissions per dashboard and report immediately.

19 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Separate Out Viewing Content Packs From Pro License

When Power BI 2.0 was released, it was a little deceiving for users because we were able to create and view content packs for about 1 week before the trial message came up. That said, we totally see the value in paying to create and broadcast content packs from power users, but for standard users why can't they just be able to see the content packs. Maybe not edit them and create personal views, but just see and connect to them. At the moment, this is the only distribution model that makes sense for Power BI. With this need to…

15 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.