Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Global filter in dashboards

Allow me to pin a filter to the dashboard that can be associated with one or more pinned dashboard KPIs.

2,438 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

188 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all – we’re looking into how best to tackle this and other filter-related functionality. If you have a few moments, please take the following survey to share your thoughts. The survey takes ~10 minutes to complete, and will help make sure that what we’re building meets your needs. We appreciate your feedback!

https://aka.ms/x998cx

• Custom branding/colour scheme of dashboard (custom css?)

How sexy the data looks is sometimes more important than how accurate it is!

I love a light grey/dark grey colour scheme as much as the next person, but it be great to be able to brand the dashboard with the organisation colours/background watermark/logos etc. Maybe offer an option to modify the default CSS used - similar to how blogging sites like blogger allow you to change your page layouts/colours with a simple admin gui or completely change it by rewriting the CSS

1,607 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Integrate SSRS reports

Source dashboard reports from SSRS reports.

1,460 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

80 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are actively working on integrating SSRS reports into Power BI. SSRS is a very rich platform with huge array of extensibility options that customers are heavily using. So running these reports on prem and delivering the results to Power BI dashboard tiles is one option that we are exploring as a first step. If you have any inputs/suggestions, please comment on it.

• Pass filters in URL

It would be great if we can pass filters in the url of the dashboard, which will filter the reports based on various parameters e.g. current fiscal period, geography, person's role, department etc.

1,428 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all – we’re looking into how best to tackle this and other filter-related functionality.

If you have a few moments, please take the following survey to share your thoughts. The survey takes ~10 minutes to complete, and will help ensure that what we’re building meets your needs. We appreciate your feedback!

https://aka.ms/x998cx

• Security - Ability to maintain source security for reports published on BI Sites

The general requirement is that visualizations (Power View, SSRS etc...) must not circumvent existing policies, or introduce yet another set of security policies on top of those already implemented at the source.

* For example, a visualization of sales data needs to reflect the policy that account managers can only read sales data for their region.
            * For performance reasons, this is enforced at the source by injecting predicates into the query based on the end users identity. If identities for end users are not passed down the process chain into the data layer, it leaves us little option but…

868 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

88 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all!

We’ve continued to make progress here, so I wanted to update this thread with our current capabilities for maintaining security on dashboards/reports.

As always, all of this information can be found in our Row-Level Security (RLS)documentation: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

> If you have set up RLS in Analysis Services, Power BI will send the signed-in user’s credentials to Analysis Services, and respect the RLS rules set up on the on-premises model.

> Separately, you can set up RLS in Power BI for data sources that you import or connect to via DirectQuery. This process starts in PBI Desktop, where you define roles, and write DAX to constrain what data these roles can see. As part of this process, can you use the UserPrincipalName() DAX function to get the current signed in user’s UPN (e.g. joe@contoso.com). Then, once you publish to service, you can assign users to these…

• Drill Down in Dashboard

Drill down on axis in dashboard without having to enter into the report itself

633 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                under review  ·  FetiyeFetiye responded

This is a good idea. We will review this and prioritize against other work.

Thank you,
                Fetiye

• Integrate Powerbi with Pivot tables

Hi, I have used Powerview extensively. Pivot table connected to a Tabular Model is today the best available tool for pivoting. Nothing to beat it. howevere powerview and pivot tables are not integrated to each other, i.e. they do not share the same parameters. The filters I have selected in Powerview shold also filter (optionally) a pivot table also.

575 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  76 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Table filter

I'd like to be able to select a record in a table and have a chart on the dashboard filtered by that record. For example in PerformancePoint you can create a KPI list and then have a filter action to filter a line chart by the selected KPI. Ideally it would be good to have something similar to Tableau chart actions where you can customize which charts are affected by the filter, method of activating the action (click, hover etc). I understand this might be complex so I'd settle for a special type of table which restricts you to one…

429 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • input fields

What about adding input fields to the dashboard widgets. Kind of like the text field but it is enabled for user input. This input field can be used in new column and new measure fields so that once the dashboard is set up the user can easily (without filtering) explore the data by entering different values such as if you had an input box for unit price. Then if you change it all the charts of total sales, revenue, etc. Will update to reflect what would happen if you increase the price by 10%. This will enable people to quickly…

421 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  39 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Ability to select multiple items in a report in a dashboard

Ability to select multiple items in a chart say multiple bars, pie's etc and automatically have filters applied to all the existing reports. this helps to highlight anomalies and see all the surrounding reports changes as we do it and showcase risks/opportunities

398 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  32 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Ability to share datasets or connection to other users.

Ability to share Dataset and connectivity to other users

379 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Distributing datasets is possible in the PBI service today via the following steps:

1) As the sharer, go to the gear > “Create Content Pack” > add the dataset you’d like to share – optionally, you may also choose to add additional datasets, report, or dashboards

2) As the recipient, go to Get Data > “My Organization” and select the content pack created in step 1

3) Click on the “…” in the dataset that is added to your workspace, and click “Make a copy”

The recipient can then start creating reports based on the new dataset.

Does this meet your needs? Please let us know via comments or e-mail.

-Sirui

• Public URL for Dashboards

We (and many others) would like to be able to have a public URL for any dashboard that is created. This would enable us to share visualizations outside our organization, with partners, etc.

377 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            under review  ·  Faisal MohamoodFaisal Mohamood responded

We will think about enabling this. Won’t “embedding” in a public site via iframe be sufficient?

• Handle data connection updates without forcing recreation of content

In the online version of power bi, if you change the account the SSAS connector runs under, the connection in powerbi becomes cached and cannot be updated. Additionally, changing servers from for example one Azure server to another breaks the connection.

For Enterprise customers to use power bi, it is necessary for us to be able to point existing data connections to new configuration locations.

Without this capability, if we move SSAS servers or change the account that the connector runs under, we have to manually create a new connection for all of our users and they must re-create their…

336 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Ability to add Feedback or Questions on Dashboard

Would be great if we had a notes area of the Dashboard for people to leave comments or questions about the content on the Dashboard. Same would be true for the PowerView Reports, except have them rollup in the Dashboard area.

335 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                planned  ·  loreylorey responded

We are currently planning this feature. As we scope the area, it would be great to get any additional feedback you have around how you’d like this feature to work. Keep voting this up and giving us more feedback so we can incorporate it into our design.

• Transfer of ownership of created dashboards

It would be great if there was an option to tranfer ownership of created reports and dashboards. This way, work would not have to be duplicated if the original creator was to leave the company/change roles/etc.

334 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  planned  ·  loreylorey responded

This is planned before end of year. We’re trying to finish up some other admin capabilities first like auditing, and adding a Power BI Admin.

• Dropdown and/or tree list global filter

To allow a filter to cover a hierarchy with perhaps 5000 or 10,000 items nested through multiple levels of a hierarchy.

Eg, for a sub category and below

268 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    under review  ·  loreylorey responded

Thanks for the suggestion! Please provide more details.

• Refresh dashboards tiles when i change a report

It very annoying having to re-draw every dashboard that uses a specific report. It would be nice having automatic refresh of the dashboard tile when I change a report involved.

235 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      started  ·  loreylorey responded

We’re working on a solution that we believe will solve this problem. Stay tuned.

• Allow Power BI Designer to open a Dataset or Report published in online Power BI repository

If you setup a data source using the Power BI Analysis Services Connector that shows up in the Power BI online Dataset repository you should allow the use of that dataset directly from the Power BI Designer.

This will allow you to publish reports using the already shared dataset and it also gives you a better experience querying a tabular data source then the Power BI Designer does now when connecting directly to the tabular instance.

I would say this should also apply to any other 3rd party data source created there for the likes GitHub, Salesforce, etc.

You should…

226 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        started  ·  FetiyeFetiye responded

We are currently working on the support to re-open pbix files from desktop.

• Change display name of fields

It should be possible to change the display name of fields instead of just showing the raw column name from the dataset.

220 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Proper Scorecarding

Allow to define a structure (weights and hierarchy) of a scorecard based on the measures/KPIs in the data sources being queried, and visualize the scorecard on the dashboard

215 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 50 51
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.