Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. It would be useful if there was the option to collapse/expand all for the list of queries in the field sidebar

We have a large list of queries, and it is inconvenient to manually collapse/expand each section every time we want to modify our reports.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. If a field contains a URI present it as a hyperlink so the user can follow it

I have a dashboard which uses the Card report to list a set of results. Each result includes a JobUri which I'd like users to follow. While I can add the URI to the card it is presented as just text. Example: https://msit.powerbi.com/dashboards/abfa898c-325a-4fc7-a20c-df1193cc4ac7

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow clicking of URL data within PowerBI.

We're using PowerBI for diagnostics work. We would like to be able to interact with the URL data in our tables (namely, by having URL data be clickable so that it opens up the appropriate location).

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow calculated measures that use Date/Time data format

I have a common requirement to show the "freshness" of my data in a report. Usually I create a calculated measure like MAX(CreatedDate) and expose it in a "ReadMe" page of my report. Current Power View does not even show these measures in the field list, Dashboard preview reports expose the measures but they fail when I try to use them in a table or on a card.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Canvas Size

Can we have a dynamic canvas in reports (similar to VISIO's canvas)? Start with one page. If the user needs more space on a single view, then the canvas size expands automatically (both horizontally and vertically).

(please also make the canvas size consistent between reading mode and edit mode. Currently, entering editing mode shrinks the canvas size horizontally)

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Control whether a visual slices or highlights other visual

Rather than cross-highlighting when you click on a datapoint, give us the option to have it filter other visuals!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have the ability to hide legend header in charts

Sometimes legend doesn't need a header; the series names are self-explanatory. Can we have an option to hide the legend header? Or customize it (so we can delete the header or change it to something more meaningful)?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Have the ability to change legend location from Right to Bottom, Top or Left

Have the ability to change legend location from Right to Bottom, Top or Left

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Toggle to disable map auto-zoom

Provide an option on the map visualization to disable auto-zoom. This will allow us to create a map that is fixed on a particular location regardless of the rest of the data and will not re-center or zoom in/out when filters are changed.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Required drill down functionality in Line charts

adding drill down functionality to Line Chart is more useful to see sub-level data.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Dinamically apply filters for embedded report

Now we have the ability to embed reports great! But without having the ability to set and change filters it is hard to have enterprise level solution operational.

Please provide a way so we can set default values for filters and to update values via javascript so we are not forced to use slicers to change values (they take too much place on the screen and they become really impractical when using more than a few elements)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Publish Excel Services reports to Power BI

Allow Excel Services reports to be published to the powerbi.com portal. This would enable people to go to a single place to find all their reports rather than having to find them across PowerBI and SharePoint / Office 365.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Matrix Conditional Formatting option/default to not format Blanks (nulls) as 0's

The new Matrix condition formatting introduced in the November update currently defaults blank (null) fields to 0 therefore colours them the same a 0.

For example, I have a diverging red/amber/green scorecard out of 10 per measure/data item but as some measures aren't relevant for some data items, they still display as RED rather than an option to default blanks to no formatting.

It makes it unusable for what I need it for unfortunately as the real RED values (scoring 0/1/2) are easily missed in the sea of red blanks.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. the URL of specific page "Publish to Web"

I want to share the specific page in "Publish to Web" web page.
    without "Publish to Web" each pages.

My scenario is:
    First time, My reports publish by "Publish to Web".
    After that, Some pages add/update on My Reports, and share the page specific url with some friends.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. BUG: Fix needed on data labels

There is a bug when showing pie charts that show both category and value. Depending on size of pie chart, some of the values show with parenthesis and some do not, although all values are positive. Not sure if this happens on other charts yet.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support clickable e-mail addresses

Allow the ability to support clickable e-mail addresses via the traditional 'mailto://'.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable publish to web from group workspace

Would like to be able to publish reports to web from group workspace and not private workspace only

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. The slicer isn't working properly

When i have a large number of rows say(10000) the slicer doesn't work properly.The end values load only when i scroll to the bottom and it takes a lot of time and when i try to check a box,it automatically scrolls to the top.Please fix this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Full screen mode for web embedded Power BI visualizations

The ability to full screen web embedded Power BI visualizations like YouTube allows for videos or open the visual in another tab. In the Best Report Contest (January 2016) you link to contestant entries that are embedded in web pages in the Power BI site. The visual were hard to read and navigate in their embedded state. It wasn't readily apparent on how to enlarge the embedded visualization (no icon in the bottom bar). I had to inspect the code in the page to find the http reference link that allowed a full screen visualization.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve added the show full screen option for Publish to web reports. You’ll now find a new icon on the bottom right of the embed that takes your report full screen. If you have an existing embed code, it will open the report in a new browser tab. If you create a new iFrame you’ll see that we include the allowfullscreen=“true” attribute on the iFrame so it can open in place. If you add this attribute to your existing embed codes it will open the report full screen in place as well.

Thank you for using Power BI and keep the suggestions coming!
    -Lukasz

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.