Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Drill to details (view row-level data)

Whenever I see an aggregated metric (e.g., $483,572 in sales) - in, say, a column in a chart or a cell in a matrix - I should be able not only to drill down to a next level of detail, but to "drill to details" - all the way down to the individual rows of data (e.g., the individual sales orders) that make up that value.

952 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

62 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Chart View Details with Export to Excel

One of the most used features in other tools in this space (including Proclarity/PerformancePoint) that users LOVE is the ability to hover over a visualization and choose to View Details. A window then pops up that allows them to see the underlying details with an export details to Excel option.

945 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  107 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Share Reports in Power BI

I see that I can share dashboards in the Power BI -- but can I not share reports? The dashboard would be fine, but slicers can't be pinned yet.

934 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

110 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Drill through that considers slicer/filter context of a parent visual

The current drill through capability does not appear to consider an active filter/slicer value for a visual unless the dimension being filtered is included in the parent visual. I think it would be helpful if it did.

For example; a table of customers subject to a slicer for specific stores should pass on both the customer and store values if these dimensions are both listed as drill through filters.

868 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add full formatting capabilities like in MS Excel

Add the ability to change line stroke and column width/gap, change data labels to include category or series names, and anything else related to the formatting of charts and graphs that you find in MS Excel. It's understood that somethings may not be translatable, but more formatting abilities would be great!

820 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Tooltip customization on reports

Power BI, by default showing the selected fields in the report tooltip. There should be a option to discard/add fields from the tooltip. e.g It shows Index column in Map visualization, which can be discarded.

806 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

125 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow customization of email subscription schedule

Extend the existing email subscription feature to allow me to specify exactly when the email is sent out - e.g. send me the email at 2pm every Monday.

More information about the existing feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/

798 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Percent of total

In addition to sum, average, min, max etc. I'd like an option in values for % of total

791 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow hyperlinks on the images

We generally show help icons as images in the dashboard. If we can have the hyperlink option on this help icon it would be great.

Hyperlink option is already available on the text object, same can be present on the image control.

737 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

87 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Save user filters on reports

The most common request from my users is for Power BI to save the filters and settings that a user applies on a report. Currently they need to re-apply everytime they open it.

616 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Hide filters for shared Reports or prevent user from changing filters.

In a shared report the user can see and manipulate filters. How about an option to hide the filter options and so make change of filters (to probably see more data) impossible?

587 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

87 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Set Colors and Conditional Formatting in visuals

Power BI's visualizations have colors assigned automatically. It should be possible to set a color when a value is reached (e.g. always show negative bars in red) or for a particular color in a legend (e.g. always show Microsoft datapoints as blue)

570 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  69 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow configurable gap width between columns/bars in all of the Column/Bar Chart types

Without control over spacing of columns and bars, data labels can overlap each other and aesthetically, the chart looks cramped.

Please add a configurable spacing parameter like the "gap width" in Excel charts to allow for better visual control.

482 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Amanda Cofsky responded

Under the x-axis card in the formatting pane, you have several settings that can help with this.

Minimum category width lets you force the bars to be wider, enabling more readable data labels (but more scrolling).

Maximum size lets you increase the percentage of the visual the axis labels will take up, which can make the visual more readable if the labels are long.

And finally inner padding controls the gap between the bars in proportion to the bar size.

Using a combination of these features to enable to you make the labels on your visuals readable.

14. Font Color and background color in Text Box

Please enable Font Color and background color in Text Box that would be very useful

464 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ability to add trend line to charts

It would be great if we could toggle on and off a trend line for line and bar charts

463 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  89 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable user to navigate from one Power BI report to another

We would love to have a feature to navigate from one power bi report to another where the user has the ability to see only those records which are related to the first report link like the action feature in SSRS.

451 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. URL access to Report

Several customers and partners that were briefed have already asked about getting URL access to a Report for using inline frame type embedding in SharePoint, Web Pages and Web Applications.

427 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Customize chart and axis titles

Let me control the text, size and font etc. that shows up for chart and axis titles

410 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  67 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. More flexible Conditional Formatting in Tables and Matrixes

More flexible Conditional Formatting in Tables and matrixes.
    The current color customization in tables is very limiting. I need more than 3 color choices.
    I should be able to add multiple values and assign colors to each.

407 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Amanda Cofsky responded

Since the creation of this idea back in 2016, we have added much more flexibility to conditional formatting.

Two particularly powerful updates include…
    Format based on rules: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2017-feature-summary/#conditionalFormatting

Format based on another column: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-2018-feature-summary/#conditionalFormatting

Of course we will continue adding even more functionality to conditional formatting, but this idea now to generic to be useful. There are many specific conditional formatting ideas on this site, so please, if we are still missing something you need, vote on it so we can continue to add valuable updates for you!

20. Optionally remove focus mode box

Provide option to remove the focus mode border. This has the effect of messing up the experience of the report in most cases. If I want to allow focus mode on a detailed chart, then I can enable it. But in most cases it is extra UI baggage

403 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.