Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Slicer should allow excluding

Slicer should allow allow exclusion of items.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow me to define a constant 'maximum value' of a radial gauge via a text box (same for minimum value, target value, etc.)

At the moment, a radial gauge's current/maximum/minimum/target are all defined by some statistical value. However, very often I just want some CONSTANT value to be my maximum, minimum, etc.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enlarge or Expand a Visualization to fill canvas.

Unable to enlarge or expand a visualization to cover the full canvas. This feature was in the Power View add-on for Excel and would be useful in the dashboard.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have the ability to change legend location from Right to Bottom, Top or Left

Have the ability to change legend location from Right to Bottom, Top or Left

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Navigation Pane

Have a navigation pane for report pages. Report pages can be named.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow calculated measures that use Date/Time data format

I have a common requirement to show the "freshness" of my data in a report. Usually I create a calculated measure like MAX(CreatedDate) and expose it in a "ReadMe" page of my report. Current Power View does not even show these measures in the field list, Dashboard preview reports expose the measures but they fail when I try to use them in a table or on a card.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Report Page Tooltips to Publish to Web

Report Page Tooltips added in Mar 2018 is a fantastic feature, however they don't appear when a report is shared using the "Publish to Web" functionality.

Apart from the fact, it's not included as a limitation in the documentation, it's a real shame not to be able to use this feature in publicly available reports.

138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Amanda Cofsky responded

Publish to web now supports report page tooltips automatically, no extra work on your end! Thanks for voting on this idea.

8. Bi-Directional RLS

Bi-Directional RLS is now available in SSAS 2016 but not available to Power BI Desktop/Web.

This can lead to confusion and unexpected behavior when setting up RLS. Potentially, unwanted data can be exposed to an RLS enabled users as Report level filters do support bi-directional filtering. The filtering behavior used by RLS should be consistent with a Report level filter.

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. seaech option in filters

Search option in filter would be nice,
    in power bi the filter doesn't have any search option
    like if we have to find a specific product in excel filter.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Matrix Conditional Formatting option/default to not format Blanks (nulls) as 0's

The new Matrix condition formatting introduced in the November update currently defaults blank (null) fields to 0 therefore colours them the same a 0.

For example, I have a diverging red/amber/green scorecard out of 10 per measure/data item but as some measures aren't relevant for some data items, they still display as RED rather than an option to default blanks to no formatting.

It makes it unusable for what I need it for unfortunately as the real RED values (scoring 0/1/2) are easily missed in the sea of red blanks.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Private embed: the ability to embed reports in web pages without making them public.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm publishing commercially sensitive data to Power BI and then embedding those visualisations in Microsoft Sway. Surely, those reports aren't public are they? If they are, it would be a tremendous shame for there to be no option to embed them without making them public...?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Today I’m very excited to announce the availability of the Power BI report web part for SharePoint Online! We’ve heard from customers that SharePoint Online is a critical part of their company’s data communication and dissemination strategy and that to-date it wasn’t easy to include Power BI content there. The feature we’re announcing today changes all that.

We’ve been busy at work with the SharePoint team building an out-of-the-box web part for SharePoint Online using their new Modern Pages infrastructure. The new web part we are releasing today enables SharePoint authors to embed Power BI reports directly in SharePoint Online pages with no code required! The feature is available today for Office 365 First Release customers.

Read all about it on the Power BI blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/integrate-power-bi-reports-in-sharepoint-online/

12. Drill up or down on individual graphs online

We need the option to drill up or down online for individual graphs. The new update online is terrible and it is not intuitive. At least add drill up or down back to graphs and also have the option in the explore tab online. There is also not an option to drill up or down when you are in full screen, which is very cumbersome. This is honestly one of the worst updates for the online version.

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support RLS for Power BI Embedded

Have a mechanism for support row level security (RLS) with Power BI Embedded

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  9 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Moving Object with arrow keys

It would be very helpfull (in designing side) if we were able to move objects in the space with arrow keys.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Nick Caldwell responded

This one is completed but I see some great follow-on ideas in the comment thread. Please re-submit!

15. Make use of check boxes in Power Query

In Power Query, when, for example, selecting append tables, what if you have 50 tables? Having check boxes which you could just select, and then at the end click OK once, instead of your way now where you have to individually add a table each time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support clickable e-mail addresses

Allow the ability to support clickable e-mail addresses via the traditional 'mailto://'.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Dinamically apply filters for embedded report

Now we have the ability to embed reports great! But without having the ability to set and change filters it is hard to have enterprise level solution operational.

Please provide a way so we can set default values for filters and to update values via javascript so we are not forced to use slicers to change values (they take too much place on the screen and they become really impractical when using more than a few elements)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Required drill down functionality in Line charts

adding drill down functionality to Line Chart is more useful to see sub-level data.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. BUG: Fix needed on data labels

There is a bug when showing pie charts that show both category and value. Depending on size of pie chart, some of the values show with parenthesis and some do not, although all values are positive. Not sure if this happens on other charts yet.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Full screen mode for web embedded Power BI visualizations

The ability to full screen web embedded Power BI visualizations like YouTube allows for videos or open the visual in another tab. In the Best Report Contest (January 2016) you link to contestant entries that are embedded in web pages in the Power BI site. The visual were hard to read and navigate in their embedded state. It wasn't readily apparent on how to enlarge the embedded visualization (no icon in the bottom bar). I had to inspect the code in the page to find the http reference link that allowed a full screen visualization.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added the show full screen option for Publish to web reports. You’ll now find a new icon on the bottom right of the embed that takes your report full screen. If you have an existing embed code, it will open the report in a new browser tab. If you create a new iFrame you’ll see that we include the allowfullscreen=“true” attribute on the iFrame so it can open in place. If you add this attribute to your existing embed codes it will open the report full screen in place as well.

Thank you for using Power BI and keep the suggestions coming!
    -Lukasz

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.