Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Custom Visuals in Organizational Content Packs

Please add support for custom visuals in org content packs. There is currently no way to enable a custom visual in content packs

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

15 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Shweta Vaidya responded

Hi everyone, we’re happy to announce that custom visuals are now allowed in organizational content packs! Thank you again for your feedback and continued engagement.

2. Heat maps in Power View

It'd be REALLY nice to have heat maps capabilities in the map visualization of Power View, like those in Power Maps.

This is an OFTEN requested feature from our large enterprise customers

1,428 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to select multiple items in a report for cross-highlighting

Ability to select multiple items in a chart say multiple bars, pie's etc and automatically have filters applied to all the existing reports. this helps to highlight anomalies and see all the surrounding reports changes as we do it and showcase risks/opportunities

1,590 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

151 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Custom hierarchy feature

Creating custom hierarchy is possible in Power view which is very helpful to drill down different hierarchies. It would be great if this feature is added to Power BI.

240 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Share Reports in Power BI

I see that I can share dashboards in the Power BI -- but can I not share reports? The dashboard would be fine, but slicers can't be pinned yet.

934 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

110 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Drill-down should drill or cross-filter other visualizations on the page

I have a report page with multiple charts and visualizations. Let's say one of the chart shows Sales by Year and I drill down into 2013 to see the sales by month in 2013. Currently, the drill-down has no effect on the other charts and visualizations on the page; they still show data for all years, not just for 2013. Instead, I'd like other charts to drill down into 2013 or filter by 2013 as well.

2,324 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

224 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Well this is exciting!

We’ve just shipped the December release of Power BI Desktop, and I’m very pleased to say we’ve added the ability to apply filters from a visual when you drill into it. This is now the default for any new visuals; you can turn it on for existing visuals (or disable it if you don’t want it) through the Format tab. Look for “Drilling filters other visuals”.

Hope you like it!
    thanks!

7. Star Rating Visualization

It would be brilliant to have a star rating visualization to show ratings on a set scale, possibly from 0-5, or even 10. It would be similar to the rating system on amazon, and would be a great way to display quality metrics.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  19 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow for a user-defined default zoom in Maps

Hello,

I'm working on an Europe-wide country-level project that includes the European part of Russia, and I use several map visualizations. However since Russia is a huge country, the maps zoom out too much by default.

Is there a way to set a fixed zoom, or at least to select just the European part of Russia?

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Power Point Integration

Being able to intergrade Power BI dashboards and reports into a Power Point deck will allow Power BI leapfrog the competition as a solid differentiation play and also in terms of value to end users.

2,071 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

169 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Tzvi Keisar responded

I’m happy to share that “Export to PowerPoint” is available as a Preview feature, now in powerbi.com.
    See the blog post here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/export-power-bi-report-to-powerpoint-preview/

Since this is still in preview, I’ve opened a community thread to capture your feedback. please use it, we will be monitoring it closely: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Export-to-PowerPoint-Preview-feedback/td-p/78945

Thanks for supporting this important feature, and for your patience!

10. Analysis by date/time: View data by year, month, day, day of week, time of day, etc.

If I have a date/time field in my data, I should be able to view metrics by year, by month, by day, by day of week, by time of day, and so on. I should be able to drill from month down to day, back up to month, and so on.

I should also be able to ask for 'last 7 days' or '12 months ago' in my formulas, filters etc.

I shouldn't need to create a "Date" table and all of these fields in my data. As long as I have a date/time field in my data, I should…

2,103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the May release of Power BI Desktop we shipped a preview of the relative date slicer. To learn more check out this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

In addition, the new Quick Measures feature has a bunch of time intelligence calculations that you can add to your model. Learn more about that feature here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/quick-measures-preview/

11. Toggle to disable map auto-zoom

Provide an option on the map visualization to disable auto-zoom. This will allow us to create a map that is fixed on a particular location regardless of the rest of the data and will not re-center or zoom in/out when filters are changed.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Lock Map location and zoom once

I would like to lock the location and zoom instead of always going back to the default view of the whole globe.

This will apply both for Report and Dashboards.

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Pie Chart percentage labels

add number percentages to dashboard and power view pie charts. if the issue is "how does Power BI handle smaller and smaller slices without becoming muddled?", then maybe just have it label the larger slices and not the smaller slices so users can see what factors are having the highest order of magnitude impact on their business.

282 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Text wrap in tables, cards, etc.! -- in dashboards and reports.

I created an Excel workbook with an XML feed from A.W.rd.A.Day: http://wordsmith.org/awad/rss1.xml. I created a table in PV; text in the description of the word is cut off. I upload to PBI and create a tile. Text in the tile is also cut off. Not cool!

1,267 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

210 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Table styling options similar to Excel

Hi Power BI team.

I was hoping if you could consider giving us the ability to style tables in a similar way to Excel:

• Customise header

• Format first column

• Format last column

• Banded rows

• Banded columns

• Customise footer (last/total row)

The idea is that we should be able to customise the following for the aforementioned items: background colour, foreground (font) colour, as well as the font type, size and formatting (normal, bold, italic).

We should also be able to show/hide total (last) row. At the moment it is always visible.

Some users could say the same for the header (the…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is available for tables in Power BI. In the July release of Power BI Desktop, we included options for predefined table styles. You also have the option to customize the grid, format of the headers, turn on/off totals, etc. manually through the formatting pane.

16. Top N Filters

Create a filter that allows me to say 'Show the top N categories by value', e.g. 'Top 5 countries by sales'

1,708 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

163 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. the URL of specific page "Publish to Web"

I want to share the specific page in "Publish to Web" web page.
    without "Publish to Web" each pages.

My scenario is:
    First time, My reports publish by "Publish to Web".
    After that, Some pages add/update on My Reports, and share the page specific url with some friends.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Percent of total

In addition to sum, average, min, max etc. I'd like an option in values for % of total

791 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. ability to add trend line to charts

It would be great if we could toggle on and off a trend line for line and bar charts

464 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  87 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Chart View Details with Export to Excel

One of the most used features in other tools in this space (including Proclarity/PerformancePoint) that users LOVE is the ability to hover over a visualization and choose to View Details. A window then pops up that allows them to see the underlying details with an export details to Excel option.

945 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  107 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.