Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PBI Desktop Live Connection to SSAS Tabular Cubes via MSMDPUMP

PBI Desktop should support the use of MSMDPUMP to connect SSAS Tabular Cubes. This would allow external users to use PBI Desktop to build and deploy dashboards and reports improving the adoption of the Power BI platform

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Query folding support for ADLSg2

Add "Query folding" support to Azure Data Lake Gen 2 (ADLSg2). So if I use incremental load, it shouldn't do a dumb list / then filter down, it should do a smart list /2020/06/02 for example.

This might need "CDM" to define the structure required.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Multiple Tables in PushStreaming Data Model

Right now when using PushStreaming datasets we are limited to 1 table in a single dataset. This creates a large, very flat table that can be pretty inefficient.

It would be helpful to be able to create multiple tables to create a cleaner, more defined data model when displaying real-time data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Option to export dataset Lineage view data

For admin and housekeeping purpose, I find myself having to look at data sources a lot. The lineage view helps tremendously with this but having the ability to export all the data sources and lineage metadata into a file (csv, json, xlsx, ...) would be great

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. XML Import noNamespaceSchemaLocation support

XML imports ignore local xsd file (noNamespaceSchemaLocation). Automatic type detection makes a mess esp. when there are records that have null values (empty elements) like blank strings and it imposes the Table type. Power Query is excellent but now useless in cases where the incoming data formats (or presence or absence of data) fool the automatic type detection.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make it possible to view the model of a Power BI dataset

After publishing a dataset to the Power BI service, and connecting to that dataset from PBI desktop for a new report etc, it is not possible to view the Model of that dataset. The "Data" and "Model" windows (left hand menu) disappear completely. It would be great if users building reports off of a Power BI dataset data source could be able to at least view the model of the dataset, so that they can understand the relationships between the tables in the model etc.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. GeoJson as a option for data source to upload in Power BI

GeoJson as a option for data source to upload in Power BI. This would be helpful for anyone interacting with map visuals.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bulk load of tables in DBF / Carga masiva de tablas en DBF

I run into the problem that I am wanting to load for a branch report at a clothing company where I have 50 branches with tables in DBF and I don't see a way to bulk connect all databases but I have to do a manual consultation by table. I posted on the forum to see if anyone could tell me how to do it but I still didn't get a solution.

Me encuentro con el problema de que estoy queriendo cargar para un informe de sucursales en una empresa de ropa donde tengo 50 sucursales con tablas en DBF…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to manually Reset Dashboard Cache - which can prevent Dataset Scheduled Refresh

In some cases Dataset Refresh fails, and it can be solved by removing the dataset and republish it. Today I did a deep dive with good help from PowerBI Support (Avinash) which showed that the problem was due to a Dashboard Cache that held links to my Dataset that somehow got broken.
    We tried to delete the Dahboard Tiles that were linked, then republished the dataset fron PBI Desktop, to the same workspace and the same name (overwriting it). This solved the issue and the Dataset could again refresh as normal.
    I need to rebuild my Dashboard Tile (and one…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Getting data from SharePoint list is very slow

I have found that retrieving info from SharePoint Online (O365) with PowerQuery is incredibly slow, specially if you expand any person column like Author/Editor of an entry. Is there any way to speed this up?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Google Ads Connector

Include a connector Google Ads

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. To allow Power BI to use as Data Source data prepared in Power Query and saved in Excel file as Connection Only (not extracted to a table)

To allow Power BI to use as Data Source data prepared in Power Query and saved in Excel file as Connection Only (not extracted to a table) .

So far Power BI allows to use as data source only Tables saved in the Excel file. If I have in Excel a big data set prepared in Power Query and not extraced as a table due to the Excel row limit, I am not able to use this data in Power BI as data source.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Direct Query with Report Server and Postgresql

I've just learned that Power BI has support for Direct Query towards Postgresql in the Desktop. However, the Report Server still lacks this support.

We are looking for a solution that we can use for dashboards onboard floating offshore vessels with poor internet connectivity. The report server is then the solution in wanting to go with Power BI.

When will Postgresql with Direct Query be supported with Power BI?

Thanks,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Filter lineage elements

When I am in a workspace, and click "View Lineage" for a dataset, it would be really helpful for the lineage diagram to filter to show only those items in that lineage. Or at least have the elements layout in a more linear way. Right now i have to scroll down quite a bit to see which elements are highlighted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Si potrebbero evidenziare le tabelle che contengono Misure

Per trovare velocemente una misura in Power BI Desktop e in Power Bi sarebbe utile riconoscere le tabelle che contengono misure

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Manager field to be imported from office 365 tenant to Power BI

From powershell we'are able to extract all and report on pbi's tenant metadata, i.e, workspaces, refreshes, reports, dashboards, users, but still there are some data that cannot be retrieved, such as, Manager field.

I tried to see a solution with the microsoft team and this was their answer.

Thank you for working on this case with me!
    As agreed, this support incident will now be archived.
    If you need additional assistance within the scope of this case or if the issue re-occurs, please let me know and we can reopen the case and work again.

Unfortunately, Microsoft 365 usage metrics…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Power Query read-only, prevent passing SQL DDL DML DCL statements.

Make Power Query a read-only, permitting just read-only statements to be passed to source databases.

The idea is for Power Query to prevent or invalidate SQL DDL DML DCL statements from Power Query to source databases.

There is no valid reason that I am aware of that Power Query should ever pass statements that include DDL (Drop, alter, Truncate), DML(Insert, update, delete), DCL (Grant, revoke), TCL(Commit) commands back up into a source database.
    So why permit it at all?

Power query should disregard or invalidate these statements before it passes them the source database.

Other BI Reporting tools use a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow user to disable SSL cert checking (read NOT DISABLE SSL) in PostgreSQL connection

As title, npgsql actually allow disabling SSL cert checking:

https://www.npgsql.org/doc/security.html

All we need is just to be able to add
    Trust Server Certificate=true

to my connection string. Better yet would be just allow users to customise the connection string by themselve. This limitation pretty much prevent most people from be able to really use Power BI for PostgreSQL.

This is actually very common setup given no system admin wants to have an expiring certificate in DB connection and we have other measures to prevent MITM (e.g. fix IP binding)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.