Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pinning Datasets to Memory

In the current state, the Power BI service will evict a dataset from memory if it needs to free up memory for other datasets and if the dataset is relatively idle (not being queried or refreshed). Teams should be able to exclude certain datasets from this behavior to ensure these datasets will always be in memory and thus refreshes and queries will not encounter delays due to loading the dataset back into memory.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Premium  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add dataset failure refresh toggle count in Premium

Scheduled dataset refreshes will turn off automatically after 4 refresh fails. Please add an option to change the count to something different than 4 failures in Premium

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. It would be good if Power BI Premium Capacity Monitor app is made available to all Pro users as well

Currently Power BI Premium Capacity Monitor app is available only for Capacity admins. It would be good if same can be extended to Pro license users as well.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add support for parameters to Power BI aggregations

Currently, if you'd like to filter a table using a what-if parameter or a disconnected parameter table, this is not supported in Power BI aggregations. This is true even if the parameter table is stored in stored in dual mode, similar to the dimension tables.

Instead, if you try to filter by a parameter, the query will revert to DirectQuery mode and not hit the aggregation tables. See this blog post for more detail.
    https://www.sqlgene.com/2019/03/31/parameters-not-yet-supported-in-power-bi-aggregations/

My understanding is this is currently by design because the parameter value is neither pre-aggregated nor has any mapping.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add drilldown and Drillthrough capability to CPU utilization chart (Premium Capacity App)

The current Premium Capacity Metrics app is quite useful (especially with all the new enhancements), however the ability to drilldown on CPU usage would greatly be appreciated.

At the moment, we can only see the overall CPU usage, without having the ability to pinpoint the datasets/reports that are causing this.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Premium  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. More Affordable Premium Nodes

With XMLA endpoints coming to PBI Premium, this licensing model is becoming very relevant to a lot of smaller organizations and ISVs for whom the dedicated capacity is not necessarily the main selling point for upgrading from Pro licences.
    The option for a premium subscription at a more affordable tier -- with reduced capacity -- would be a great help to all users trying to convince management to make the investment.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Premium  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Power BI pro to have same features Premium has

As original premium whitepaper said, premium supposed to tackle large enterprise deployment and large number of 'readers'; therefore, pro to have the same features provided by premium; and premium to offer better performance or licensing combo offer. [e.g. we have over 450 e5 licenses with power bi pro but less functionalities.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add support for Power BI Premium Capacity Metrics in a government domain

The Power BI Premium Capacity Metrics do not work in a Government powerbi domain. This is unacceptable as having paid for premium capacity, we are not getting the same level of service that others get when paying for this product. Please resolve.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make accesible the raw data from Power BI premium capacity metrics

We would need to extend the Capacity Metrics dataset to generate custom reports with additional information, and applying RLS to share the info to the business users which own each workspace. As for now, the dataset can't be modified.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Power Premium Capacity Metrics - Resource Consumption by workspaces\report

I'd like to be able to filter resource consumption (CPU, Memory Consumtion) by workspace \ report. Now at Dataset tab we can filter refreshes by workspace\report but memory consumption show total for Capacity

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Max size limit on total memory consumption for workspaces on premium capacity.

Proposed Idea - Add Max Memory Size configuration option on workspace when we move it on a Premium capacity.

Why ? -
    Currently any Premium workspace user can abuse capacity usage by adding unlimited number of models.
    This affects performance of other workspaces which are sharing same premium capacity.
    Having an upper limit on premium will shield it from affecting other workspace reports peformance.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Power BI Premium Capacity Metrics - Resource Consumption,

I'd like to be able to add a filter by app workspace. Currently, I am unable to edit anything in the Power BI Premium Capacity Metrics app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please inform how to check if the current PowerBI license is also Premium.

Please inform a way that we can confirm if the current PRO license is Premium or not.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PowerBi Premium Serverless - Pay per view

Just as Azure Function with consumption plan, the billing model will be per view/session. I.e. if no one use it, its free. If a lot of people use it, it scales automatically and we pay more. It would be nice to have throttling to avoid abuse and an upper spending limit per day/month.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Adobe Analytics App Premium capacity

Ability to assign Adobe Analytics app to premium content so non Power BI Pro users can access. I haven't seen a thread on how to accomplish yet so assumed it's not solved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PowerBI Home: Customize Home Page with bookmarks

PowerBI's home page is a powerful feature, but with the addition of personal bookmarks, we would like to see a feature where Premium users could add their own personal bookmarks to this page. We're using PowerBI as an enterprise solution, and most of our users are consumers on a Premium license.

In addition to adding personal bookmarks, further customization options could include:

• rearranging/removing tiles

• "learn how to..." videos for report consumers

• pin tiles

• all administrators to add links/content to external resources

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Premium account include features from pro account

I have to pay an premium account to present my dashboards by power bi to my clients and now you are asking me a pro account to access some features in premium account. I've never seen it before

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Multiple Course Discount

For those who are wanting to take more than one course do you offer a multiple course discount?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Dynamically scale up and down power bi premium capacity

We notice clear usage patterns in Power BI with a majority of the workload coming during business hour and limited usage outside of business hours.

Like power bi embedded I would like to be able to scale up and scale down capacity in order to maximize our value. We could pay the same price, but have more capacity during our busier hours or pay a reduced price because of scaling down during the night.

In true cloud tradition I would thus like to exactly pay for what I use

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Web Feature for Non-Enterprise

My suggestion: Free a license with web features for home or student licenses. In a private project with mainly students, the overviews generated from APIs and published on the web with Power BI Pro were very highly appreciated. But after 30 days the project came to an abrupt end. We don't have a chance to get a Pro access, which we need for distribution via cloud. This license is for Enterprise customers only. Requests to Microsoft were unsuccessful. The consequence now is that we have to look for another platform. Too bad, we had the impression that it would benefit…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.