Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Update Report Server UI - Modern Design

Please update the Report Server UI to a modern design. The current report server looks old and outdated. The Report Server should look more consistent with the online version. Maximise the report viewing area too.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change paramater in Power BI Report Server

To optimize and limit the data required for output to power bi report server, it is necessary to add the ability to change the parameter at least through the URL in the next update

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Reuse of models in power BI Report Server

Cordial greetings
    One suggestion that I believe will help us in the company for which I work is the reuse of models in power BI Report Server, in the same way as the power BI service, since several users connect actaulmete to a single model created in Cognos, but With the migration of this technology we found that in Power BI Report Server we cannot reuse already created models
    Thank you for your attention
    Attentive to your comments.
    Arian Osorio

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. cross report drillthrough

Can the cross-report drillthrough functionality be enabled for the on-premise Power BI Report Server version? This would greatly enhance the reporting options available to users of the Power BI Report Server.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Group of e-mail

Good afternoon

I know it is possible to create a report submission group in power bi service, but I wonder if it is possible to send a tab with certain information to specify person.
    Could you help me, please?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. In Report Server, add an option to hide the "Upload" button from the portal

We want to limit how files are uploaded to the Report server and only allow publishing of files from the Power BI desktop Application. So we want to have the Upload button configurable/hidden.

I see this function requested many times here so I believe this would be a popular feature.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Direct link to access "Raw Level Security" feature at the top menu bar

Its really a useful if you can add a link at the top menu bar in the power bi service. Doing so, we can simply go to "Raw Level Security" feature instead of navigating through Datasets->Security. Its really hard to navigate when we have lots of reports deployed in a works space which is being created for teasing or uat.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Increase the data export row limit (30,000 rows max) in Power BI Report Server

The capability to export raw data from Power BI is an important function for many users.

Presently, the export data limits are as follows and confirmed at the community link below.

• Power BI Service (cloud platform): 150,000 row maximum

• Power BI Report Server (on-premise platform): 30,000 row maximum

Please increase the export limit setting on Report Server to match that of Service. Better yet, increase them both to a much higher limit as requested by others in separate idea posts.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/What-is-the-Export-data-row-count-limit-for-Power-BI-Report/m-p/343951

805 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "Copy URL" option in Power BI Server

Allow "Copy URL" from the right-click/three-dot menu in Power BI server.

I often have to get the URL of a report in Power BI Server, but the only way to do that is to click on the report to open it, and then copy the URL while it's loading and hope your browser doesn't lock up. Being able to get the URL without loading the report (or even from the manage screen) would be excellent.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow SSO with Windows Authentication in Power BI Report Server to SAP BW

Connect to SAP BW with single-sign-on via Report Server

Power BI Report Server does not support OAuth-based authentication for DirectQuery with Windows Authentication to SAP bW

Large SAP BW installations with thousands of users are often accessed via single-sign-on (SSO) e.g. the users windows credentials are used to authenticate to BW. SSO simplifies the user experience and reduces user administration costs. These users should be able to setup on-premise gateway connections that can be used to refresh data sets in the Power BI Report Server. The connections should leverage that individuals BW roles & authorizations and not require a BW…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Shape Map visualization for Power BI Report Server

Bring the shape map that has been in Power BI preview for years into the Power BI Report Server. Preview features are not available in Power BI Report Server so on-premise only users cannot use shape maps and are stuck with bing maps. This makes Power BI on premise extremely limiting.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Power BI On-Prem

We installed Power BI On-prem in our environment. After assessing the application, we figured that users with Power BI Pro license have an option in Power BI Desktop App to "Publish a report to cloud" or "Save as a report to Power BI On-prem report server". Having an option to publish to cloud would defeat the purpose of an On-prem installation. I would recommend having a separate build of "Power BI Desktop App" for On-prem only installation, which does not provide an option to publish report to cloud.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bing map (layers)

With Report server we are limited to using Bing Maps only for Power BI. At a minimal at least allow one additional layer to Bing maps so territories and sales can be plotted, all basic BI mapping do this. Don't make force people use another 3rd party service for something that should be out of the box standard set of tools. I know this been discussed so much with the power BI team. This topic will never fully go away until you do the right thing.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Matrix column header space limitation?

I have placed descriptions into Matrix column headers (all hdrs are centered, word wrap on, sergoe (Bold), font 13).

Longest header spans 3 physical wordwrapped rows. Headers in deskptop look perfect. Same headers in reporting services have 3rd row display chopped at the second-and-one-half row.

Any ideas? Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow deletion of the Usage Metrics Reports

If the report owner runs a usage metric report then suddenly anyone sharing the workspace will see this usage report as well. This is a cluttering of the workspace with a mix of normal reports and usage metrics reports which is not friendly.
    The only solution is to delete ALL metrics via the Admin Power BI portal which is dumb. Why trash all data just to remove the usage reports. Please allow the usage reports to be deleted by the owner just like any other report. Or allow some type of hide option for users sharing the workspace.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Embed Code

Add option for Embed code, URL Sharing, iFrame Settings

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I cannot connect and work with 2 different datasources in the same woorkbook or report

I cannot connect to different dataservers to work with both of them

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Power BI Report Builder

I wan't to publish a rdl report using different credentials to the Power BI Service, but i don't see a logout button.

Power BI Report Builder 15.0.1517.0

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. The ability to return Home in the mobile app when connecting to a local Power BI Report Server. Only the "Back" button works now.

We have an on-prem version of power bi deployed. We create reports in power bi desktop September 2019 and publish on power bi report server September 2019.
    When you open a mobile application and connect to the report server, there are three icons at the bottom of the main report portal: home, favorites, examples.
    Then, when you open the report, these buttons disappear and only the back button at the top left remains to go back. The problem is that when you open multi-page reports and navigate through the pages of the report, you will return to the main page…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Power BI Report Builder support for Power BI report server(On premises)

Currently Power BI report builder is supported for Power BI Service it would be a great enhancement to have the new report builder support for Power BI report server (on premises) with more wide range data source support .

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.