Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Scheduled data refresh for custom connectors on Power BI Report Server

Currently the scheduled data refresh on Power BI Report Server (on premise) is not supported for custom connectors. Also Direct Query mode is not available for them (except of ODBC connectors). Combination of these 2 limitations makes the custom connectors practically useless in runtime - the only way to refresh the data is to do it manually in PBI Desktop and to re-upload the report on the server.

The idea is to allow custom connectors to have scheduled data refresh enabled / supported. It would be of great value to allow developers to create their own connectors and use it…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Power BI Report Server September 2019 ISSUE with new Filter Pane (new & existing reports)

The recent September 2019 release of Power BI Report Server and Power BI Desktop for Report Server has a new "Filter Pane" and additional features which look great, however the new pane does not render correctly when an existing report is re-published or a NEW report is created.
    Instead of displaying the filters, this text is displayed for both new & updated reports:
    "Pane Header Pane Body Current Filters: Industry: Financial Account Size: SMB".
    The model (a LIVE connection to Analysis Services) does not contain "Industry" or "Account Size" attributes.
    In addition, turning OFF this new feature (via Options >…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Edit Reports in Power BI Report Server

Are there any plans to allow the creation or editing of reports directly in the browser instead of using the desktop client? This would allow the use as a self-service tool.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Reuse of models in power BI Report Server

Cordial greetings
    One suggestion that I believe will help us in the company for which I work is the reuse of models in power BI Report Server, in the same way as the power BI service, since several users connect actaulmete to a single model created in Cognos, but With the migration of this technology we found that in Power BI Report Server we cannot reuse already created models
    Thank you for your attention
    Attentive to your comments.
    Arian Osorio

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Support for Azure SQL database or Managed instance

It would be great if the catalog databases: ReportServer and ReportServerTempdb (not the SSRS service itself). could be deployed to either Azure SQL Managed Instance or SQL Database.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. enable pdf data format for the power bi report data

Users are asking for the multiformat data download of the report data in power bi report server.

like we have excel data download format as .xls and csv.along with that they are even asking for the pdf file format data

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add export to PowerPoint feature to the Power Bi Server too

Add export to PowerPoint feature to the Power Bi Server too

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. On PBI Report Server, add ability to edit parameters.

In PBI Desktop for Report Server, you can edit your parameters. When report is deployed to the Power BI Report Server, you can edit the parameters on the server. I believe this capability already exists on the PBI Service.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. enable many to many relationships

enable many to many relationships (also for direct query) @ power bi desktop for report server

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bug fix: Error when trying to save a report with unicode names (like German Umlaut)

When you try to save a report on report server with special/unicode characters in the name (e.g. German "ä"), you can't update/save the report anymore.
    Source: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/PBIRS-error-updating-overwriting-a-PBI-report-file-when-quot/td-p/420975

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Power BI Report Builder support for Power BI report server(On premises)

Currently Power BI report builder is supported for Power BI Service it would be a great enhancement to have the new report builder support for Power BI report server (on premises) with more wide range data source support .

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Power BI On-Prem

We installed Power BI On-prem in our environment. After assessing the application, we figured that users with Power BI Pro license have an option in Power BI Desktop App to "Publish a report to cloud" or "Save as a report to Power BI On-prem report server". Having an option to publish to cloud would defeat the purpose of an On-prem installation. I would recommend having a separate build of "Power BI Desktop App" for On-prem only installation, which does not provide an option to publish report to cloud.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Url parameter (pageName) to specify page of PowerBI Report in PBI RS

In Power BI Report server (on-prem) it would be nice, if we were able to specify the landing page of a PowerBI report using an url-parameter, in the same way as it is possible in the service using ?pageName=Page2

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. incremental refresh Power BI Report Server

Add Incremental Refresh for Power BI Report Server

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. PostgreSQL DirectQuery support on Report Server

Power BI Service supports DirectQuery to postgreSQL through the native connector, but Report Server does not, according to the Report Server documentation:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources
    The use case is interactive querying based on current report viewer's identity against a PostgreSQL database. Everything on-prem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Publish a roadmap for Power BI Report Server!!

Is it too much to ask that Microsoft provide their user community with a roadmap of planned features for Power BI Report Server.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Full Screen Option in Power BI Report server

It would be good to have full screen option, so that consumer can present in full screen. It good to have icon for that before setting icon in top right navigation same like Power BI Service. Right now I can do that using URL by appending ?rs:embed=true but my users and not technical enough to do that.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Printing Report as PDF file ability not only for designer users but also for all browser users

A published report can only be printed by the report server browser users, however saving the report as PDF document would be a lot userfriendly and practical

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Workspace Order by

I am a member for a ton of workspaces however the one I primarily care about is sorted to the bottom of the list on the services site. It would be great if I can adjust the sort and manually pin workspaces to the very top of the list. Therefore when ever I navigate back to the service site, I do not have to scroll the entire list to get to my workspace.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Persistent Filters

In our Report Server deployment the most frequent request by end users is: “Give me a prefiltered (eg. by departement) version of the standard report so that I will not have to spend time on filtrering” - the request is valid - but with more than 100 departments maintaining such a setup becomes extremely time consuming - therefore I suggest bringing Persistent Filters to Report Server - it would dramatically reduce the time needed to maintian a enterprise
    scale BI deployment - and would be a kikker-feature for Power BI Report Server (and align features beteeen cloud and on-prem)
    Filters…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.