Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Updates to Report Server should be available more frequently

It seems unfair that Power BI desktop is updated each month with new and improved visuals but we will have to wait several months longer to have these improvements in Power BI Report Server. For example the new matrix visual is big improvement but those with Report Server will have to wait about 6 months before it is available to them. I'd like Report Server updates in parallel to Desktop updates.

232 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback on this topic! Let me address a few points here.

First, a couple of you mentioned the new Table and Matrix visuals, which became generally available in July. I know they’re just one example, but I thought I’d update you about them specifically. We previously communicated that the very next release of Power BI Report Server would support them, and the August 2017 Preview is now available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-server-august-2017-preview-now-available/). We’re still targeting Q4 CY 2017 for the next production-ready release.

Second, to confirm our current release and support lifecycle:
      - We plan to release Power BI Report Server “multiple times per year.”
      - Initially, we’ve planned for about 3 releases per year (in other words, on average, every 4 months).
      - We support each release for 12 months, which gives customers up to a year to upgrade to a newer version while receiving any…

• Email subscriptions for Power BI reports in Report Server

Be able to create email subscriptions for the PBIX reports in the Report Server

322 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support dashboards in Power BI Report Server

Please add support for Power BI Dashboards to Power BI Report Server.

398 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing this idea! As its name suggests, Power BI Report Server focuses on Power BI reports (the artifacts you create in Power BI Desktop). Nonetheless, we’re always interested in hearing your feedback, so if you’d like to see the Power BI service’s “dashboards” feature in Power BI Report Server, vote here. Even better, post a comment and share a little more about why. Looking forward to the discussion!

• Dynamic row-level security for Power BI Report Server

Power BI Desktop (optimized for Report Server) allows you to define roles with DAX filters. However, when reports are published to the Report Server, there is no way to assign these roles to specific users/groups, so we can't yet implement row-level security on the Report Server. It would be great it Report Server was able to support dynamic row-level security similar to the Power BI Service.

72 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • ESRI ArcGIS maps in Power BI Report Server

Support ESRI ArcGIS maps in Power BI Report Server.

89 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Data Alerts in Power BI Report Server

Hi,

If a specific threshold is exceeded I want to receive a email / message that this is happening on my Dashboard. It would be better if there is a default threshold for this and that a user can set up a specific threshold also.

53 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • R visuals in Report Server

I think it will be great if report server can support custom R visualization for more data insight!

20 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Embed Power BI Report Server reports into extranet apps

Allow Embedding of Power BI Report Server Reports for Extranet Apps. Because of our clients needs data cannot leave our servers and be put on the cloud. Our existing SSRS reports are displayed using a report viewer object, however this will not work for PBIX. We need to ability to embed PBIX and display it externally. Is this going to be possible with Power BI report Server?

86 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this idea!

You can embed a Power BI report stored in Power BI Report Server into another app using an iframe and the rs:Embed=true URL parameter (Kasper de Jonge has a good blog post on the topic: https://www.kasperonbi.com/embedding-power-bi-reports-with-power-bi-report-server/). This support is limited so far; for instance,
                    - There are no URL parameters for filtering. We plan to add this feature. (Vote and comment: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/19727650-pass-filter-in-url-powerbi-reportserver)
                    - There’s no JavaScript API for richer programmability. (Wouldn’t it be nice if the Power BI JavaScript API supported Power BI Report Server? Submit an idea!)
                    - The report server will try to authenticate your end user — by default, using Integrated Windows Authentication. For intranet apps whose users are within your organization and your Active Directory forest/domain, that might work fine, but for extranet apps, as you noted, that doesn’t work.

We plan to address this last issue by enabling…

• Full Screen mode in Power BI Report Server

Power BI Report Server should have an option to open the report in Full Screen mode just as it has an option in Power BI Service . When we open reports in Power BI Report Server , we can view page in 3 options 1:) Fit to Width , 2:) Fit to Page and 3:) Actual size . Issue with these three mode is the page and header consumes a lot of space and we need to scroll to view to full report .

148 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Power BI JavaScript API support for Report Server

At the moment to embed reports in a intranet webpage we only have the option to put ?rs:Embed=True at the end of the url.

I have read (on this website) that there are plans to extend this so parameters could also be passed in the url, in a similar way that the current SSRS works.

Could we also have the Power BI JavaScript API enabled for Power BI Report Server, in a similar way to the Azure service has ?

50 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server

Please add support for Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server. Like SQL Server Reporting Services : ability to change name, location, add, remove instance. On a mid/large report server farm, multiple instance helps a lot for progressive patching, ssrs subscription launch on different sql engine, etc.

60 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this idea. We’re interested to hear from many of you about why and how you install multiple instances of Reporting Services on the same server. Drop us a comment and tell us a little more about
                          - Why do you install multiple instances of Reporting Services on the same server (as opposed to, say, creating multiple folder trees within the same server and using permissions to isolate users)?
                          - What are the key things you’d need to be able to configure differently/independently across instances?

While we could follow the SQL Server approach of enabling you to perform multiple installations of the software on the same server, we could alternatively take a more lightweight approach of enabling you to create multiple “sites” within one installation. (SharePoint uses this latter approach, as did Datazen Server.) The latter approach doesn’t provide quite the same degree of isolation — you can’t…

• Shared data source connection (live to Tabular SSAS) for reports published on Power BI Report Server

Currently each Power BI report published to the Report Server has its own data source embedded within the report. Any change in the source would require us to change hundreds of published reports individually. Could we have a shared data source/connection similar to SSRS Reports that would help us manage deployment and changes much more efficiently.

55 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Edit Power BI report in the browser in Report Server

Ability to edit the powerbi report in the browser without the need to use the power bi desktop similar to what you can do in the powerbi service. This will allow for an on prem web based self service solution.

67 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Give Power BI desktop for Report Server also the Preview options

Hi,

At the moment there is a difference between PowerBI Desktop for Report Server and the "normal" PowerBI Desktop. I want to use the ShapeMaps, Visio Visual also. But this is not possible yet.

60 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide option to 'Publish to Report Server' instead of 'Save As' on Power BI Desktop for Report Server

While using PBI Desktop for PBIRS would be a lot better to have an option under the menu Publish rather on Save As in order to save a report to the Power BI Report Server.

30 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Export Power BI report to PowerPoint

Support for exporting Power BI report to PowerPoint. The feature is available in Power BI service (Preview).

51 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Export / Print graphs/reports from Power BI Report Server to Excel/Power Point

Possiblity to export or print report (or possibly graph) to Excel, Power Point, PDF for easy use in/as presentations for ex. stakeholders or other, where access to interactive reports not needed.

20 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • BYOL scenario support for Power BI Report Server

Currently there's no option to install PBI RS on an Azure VM in a production environment.

Since:
                                      1) There is a template to deploy an Azure VM with SQL + PBI RS, but that's for dev/test only
                                      2) Customers with Enterprise Agreement with SA can already install PBI Report Server on-prem
                                      3) It is possible to move licensing right to Azure VM for SQL EE thanks to BYOL templates

It would seem straightforward to support BYOL for PBI RS too.

That would ease the transition between a dev/test scenario (using the existing ready-to-go template) to a full production setup without…

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Linked PowerBI reports

Would be great if you can provide functionality to create linked PowerBI reports. Same as with regular paginated reports. Provides better security management and flexibility.

15 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• SCOM Management Pack for Power BI Report Server

We moved from Reporting Services to Power BI Report Server and missing the SCOM Management Pack to observe this important service. Specially in large Enterprises it's important that the SCOM package is available. I guess the difference between the active package should not be so huge.
                                          Please focussing to observing, not performance indicators.

BR
                                          Daniel

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.