Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. BRING BACK CUSTOM VISUALS FOR PEOPLE WITHOUT PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTS

Due to current data security considerations, it is not possible for people in my office to sign in to Power BI, since it also includes the Power BI Service. This didn't cause any major problems with learning how to use Power BI, as we could enjoy all the Desktop features. With the custom visuals now off limits to those without the professional account, however, we are limited to whatever comes out of the box. Please switch back the ability to download custom visuals without signing in.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 3D Visuals in Power BI

Just like an excel why are we not supported to have 3D visualizations which would give more attractiveness and more essence to customers

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Need for curated re- useable training (beginner, intermediate, advanced)

Need for curated re- useable training (beginner, intermediate, advanced)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve Default Visuals

Power BI has been out for awhile now and, while it's great that Vertipaq and M engine have dedicated resources, there appears to be little love for improving the default visuals. There are still many giant gaps missing from almost every one of them.

This failure to address the visual aspect of PBI is what's preventing the Tableau and Qlik communities from jumping ship. Their response is ALWAYS, "the visuals can do 80% of what I need but it's missing the other 20%". Unfortunately this missing 20% cannot be "hacked" like it can be Tableau - if it's not an…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Can't sign up with my outlook.com work email address. Can't test, so won't recommend PowerBI to clients. Tableau instead. Your loss, sorry.

Microsoft, lots of us solo preneurs drive adoption. Ridiculous that I can't sign up with my only work email address of outlook.com. No wonder my clients have never even heard of Power BI. I drive many Tableau implementations, and would have liked to compare with Power BI. If it's good, I'd recommend it. But I would never recommend or even mention something that I haven't tested end to end. Thus, Power BI will not even be in the conversation with my clients because I can't sign up for an account. Foolish, artificial barrier that ends up hurting you.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. We need a Power BI Personal for non-commercial use

Would love to be able to use Power BI to display personal data and reports to friends and family. I think this would be a great way to showcase the product and would enable those without a corporate Power BI to get started.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Search Box in Workspace Pane for New User Interface

There should be a search box in the Switch Workspaces navigation pane for the new user interface. For admin users like myself that have a lot of workspaces this would help.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make PowerBI simple: PowerBI desktop should work without DAX for casual users

Transform vs Modelling
    The Transform capability is great, because i can do everything I need with the UI. This is not the case with Modelling.

Modelling
    Having used PowerBI Desktop on many datasets, I found that it should be made simpler for non DAX experts.A UI based interface including some "AI" Assisted intelligence could easily achieve the below and make the product reach a new category of users.
    1. Matrix and Table visuals

• Key features such as Column renaming, Cumulative values, Comparisons Year on Year etc. are missing and require quite a bit of DAX fiddling. I know that
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Many Ideas: Export/Connect Table & Matrix to Excel in Visualization Format; Pre-Built Report Templates; Data Source Compatibility

While you guys have made great strides in allowing tables to be exported in their summarized view form, there are still some very impactful and easy-to-implement ideas that need to be executed.

I'm working on getting my entire company to adopt Power BI as the sole reporting system; however almost every single employee will always need to have some of their reports/data in excel. Currently they are exporting data from our ERP, then building in excel (where they can then further manipulate/ analyze/ merge/ utilize their data). While I have recreated (and optimized/automated) many of their reports in Power BI,…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Need ability to direct users to corporate links for info, training, support

Corporations need to be able to redirect their users to corporate links for Power BI info, training and support.

The Power BI Admin should have the ability to specify URLs to direct their Power BI users to corporate resources (URLs) for:

a.  Training

b. Support
    c. General guidance and info

These links should be easily distinguished from the Power BI public support, training and portals. The Power BI Admin should be able to set:

a.  Show tenant specific links only

b. Show both tenant specific and Power BI public

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Export PDF option in On-Perm PowerBI report Server required like cloud option

Export PDF option in On-Perm PowerBI report Server required like cloud option

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Replace dax with an easier more intuitive language

Replace DAX with an easier more intuitive language that's quicker to code. Power BI language and user experience is meant to be self-service and easy to use and supposedly easier than Excel. But eh underlying DAX language is not easy to code. More complex measures that should take quick to code require more effort than SSRS or Tableau or any other language that I know of to get to the same result. Surely an easier and better language can be developed. Replace it with a tableau or SSRS -type scripting language that obviously still uses the current context etc, but…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. PROVIDE CHEEPER PLANS FOR SMALL ORGANIZATIONS. EG. IF MYSELF AND MANAGER HAVE LISENCE, WE CANT SHARE FINDINGS TO CEO(CheepVIEW ONLY LISENCE)

myself and manager have pro lisence but we cannot create a view for the CEO because he needs to have full pro lisence. if this is followed your product would suck in the industry in front of products like tableau or qlikview which have seperate viewing lisence at a cheeper rate for the higher ups who do not need to edit the data and only have to view the dashboards. Especially for a small to medium scale enterprize its mental and plain right stupid in investing for a pro lisence for all its employees. provide packages wherein so many employees…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Need ability to download a report as .pbix which was created in the Power BI Service not n Desktop client. When is that coming?

Need ability to download a report as .pbix which was created in the Power BI Service not n Desktop client. When is that coming?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable scheduling for subscription on PBI Reports

Lately, users have been given the ability to subscribe to any PBI report of their choice. With the 2018 Oct update, it will also be possible to subscribe others, which is already of great use. However, it isn't possible to adapt the frequency on which users receive an update of their subscribed to PBI report as this is default set at source refresh. Especially for live connections, it would be very helpful to manage the schedule on which PBI reports will be distributed to their subscribers.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. allow pushing of Power BI Apps to azure AD B2B guest users

Currently, it's not possible to push Power BI Apps to users who are Azure AD B2B guest users. Please enable this capability! It would greatly speed adoption with our suppliers.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Mention someone in comment to send email/chat linking back to specific visual/bookmark

It would be super helpful to be able to mention someone in a comment to send an email and/or Teams chat notification with a link back to the specific report visual/bookmark.

Please also try and align this user experience with Excel and across Office 365.

Excel: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/16832272-allow-me-to-mention-someone-to-send-simple-notifi

O365: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/264636-general/suggestions/19592158-add-mention-function-in-comments-in-all-online-of

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Power BI App and Self Service

There doesn't seem to be a good way to allow for any self service report creation if you leverage Power BI apps. You could make the business users members of the application workgroup that you published the app from but then anything they do would be included in the next update and even worse, they could delete the dataset(s) associated with the app, basically deleting the app.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. we need local units in Display unit window for India like Lakhs/crore etc

we need local units in Display unit window for India like Lakhs/crore etc

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Track usage when models are accessed using the Power BI Publisher Excel add-in

Many of our users like to connect to Power BI models from within Excel using the Power BI Publisher Excel Add-in, but unfortunately, we lose all visibility on the true usage of Power BI.... It would be great to be able to track the number of connections each user makes to a report using the add-in. Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.