Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Default Visuals

Power BI has been out for awhile now and, while it's great that Vertipaq and M engine have dedicated resources, there appears to be little love for improving the default visuals. There are still many giant gaps missing from almost every one of them.

This failure to address the visual aspect of PBI is what's preventing the Tableau and Qlik communities from jumping ship. Their response is ALWAYS, "the visuals can do 80% of what I need but it's missing the other 20%". Unfortunately this missing 20% cannot be "hacked" like it can be Tableau - if it's not an…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Office 365 Videos and Other Work Loads Usage in Adoption content pack

Could you please include Office 365 Videos and Other Work Loads Usage in Adoption content pack as you have done for existing work loads.

Please include other ones which are not included so that we can adopt users, measure and push for more usage to organisation

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Migrate legacy Spotfire dashboards to Power BI

It would be excellent if Microsoft could provide a mechanism to migrate legacy dashboards, libraries and data connections from Spotfire to Power BI. This would help individuals, teams and organisations that have chosen Power BI to be their preferred BI tool to reduce the pain, time and effort of having to rebuild dashboards from scratch. Additional support for other popular data analytics tools such Tableau would be useful.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make SSAS Live Connections/DirectQuery more functional/flexible

I love the fact that we can make live connections to a SSAS Tabular model in DirectQuery mode as it allows us to share common semantic models on our enterprise data. However, with a live connection we lose very important features such as: renaming fields, adding calculated fields, grouping and binning to name just a few. Ideally, when I make a SSAS live connection these types of functions would remain enabled.

One option might be to allow users to import the SSAS tabular model in live (DirectQuery) mode.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Overwrite a locally published .pbix file with one in one drive

We have a lot of .Pbix files that were published locally to the service. We now want to move to saving these files in One drive for business and use the version control and sync functions. But when I attempt to overwrite the file by using the get data option it creates a copy rather then asking if I want the option to overwrite. As you can imagine if we have dashboards created off these reports I do not really want to have to recreate all these.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide source control for PBIX development

Provide the ability to have source control against PBIX development in order to manage releases etc

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Notifications on delete of dataset/report/dashboard

When a dataset/report/dashboard is added to a shared workspace, users get notifications.

When a dataset/report/dashboard is deleted from a shared workspace, users do not get notifications. Why? I would prefer to get them.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. User Flow for Usage Reports

I would like to know the user flow of each user using the report. Basically, to know in what sequence they use the report, to understand the story/questions the user is looking for.

If you can provide the above at tile level instead of page level it would be mindblowing!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Reporting on inactive users

Our primary focus is on users that are NOT using the features including Office PP licensed users that are not activated, etc. It seems very painful to identify users that are NOT active.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Use Power BI to report on this Power BI Ideas Site

My suggestion applies to this site in general. I'd like to see which top ideas were implemented and which ones were not. So a way for you to be transparent with how much you are listening to your users. Wouldn't it be great if you had a reporting tool you could embed in this site to show thru some good visualizations? Hint, hint.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Use the app workspaces team sharepoint site as the landing page for shared workspaces

The Workspace files facility feels like an after thought. It isn't easy to find and doesn't integrate well.

I think a brilliant idea would be to have the Sharepoint Team Site that gets created for an app workspace to be the default landing page for that workspace. All the left menu items in power bi should be in the left menus in the sharepoint site so they both effectively become the same thing.

Coupled with this we should be able to store our pbix files in here with versioning and deploy them to Power BI stright from the context menu.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Data classification in Power BI

Data classification in Power BI is an cool functionality to control governance on the data flow in to the service. Would be great to have this data classification also to Reports, Data Sets and also at "Group Workspaces" level. As a next step we would build an process to visualize reports, data sets, dashboards based on these data classification in power BI Admin center and integrate such alerts with Microsoft flow.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Global "Test as User"

We use USERNAME() Row Level Security quite a bit for our different data models. I would like to see the ability to test as user from the Tenant Level as well as data set level, so I can see exactly what that user's screen looks like for Workspaces, Dashboards, and Reports.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3D Visuals in Power BI

Just like an excel why are we not supported to have 3D visualizations which would give more attractiveness and more essence to customers

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Separate group ownership from group membership

Our company reporting structure changes frequently and our BI team needs to be able to leverage the "Reports To" field of Azure AD Premium to dynamically determine group Membership. Individuals on our BI team must be able to possess Ownership, sans Membership, of multiple groups so that they can manage Power BI content for multiple workspaces. Currently, membership in multiple groups would require the BI team to "Report to" multiple people within the organization, which is not reflective of the typical business environment and is not an enterprise level solution. To enable company-wide adoption of Power BI, Group Ownership should…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Power BI App and Self Service

There doesn't seem to be a good way to allow for any self service report creation if you leverage Power BI apps. You could make the business users members of the application workgroup that you published the app from but then anything they do would be included in the next update and even worse, they could delete the dataset(s) associated with the app, basically deleting the app.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. KPI visual to display time-based KPIs

In my organisation there are several KPIs (SLAs) which are based on average time (mean time to resolve/mean time to dispatch). The current KPI visualisations allow me to insert any measures that are a number or a percentage, however, I cannot build a visualisation based on time (if the average time is higher than the target time then mark it red, otherwise mark it green).

It would be great if that option would be enabled!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. power BI adoption content pack refresh time

let us know the refresh time of the adoption cotent pack and whether we have option to see the live data

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable granular permissions for Power BI service tenant level settings

Allow granular permissions ( using Azure AD users and groups ) for the following tenant settings;

Publish to web
    Allow sharing content to external users

Both of these service settings when enabled are not audited for free users of the service ( the event is logged but the user name is not included) and both settings could have damaging consequences if not used correctly.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Search Box in Workspace Pane for New User Interface

There should be a search box in the Switch Workspaces navigation pane for the new user interface. For admin users like myself that have a lot of workspaces this would help.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.